Which one will it be: Sennheiser 650 or Beyerd 880 or AKG 702?
Mar 22, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #31 of 70
For something like HD650, you really should look at an external solution. Just look at the specs of the STX, yes it's a great soudcard, but something I'd use to drive my AD900s, not the HD650s.

And your decision making for headphones defies logic still. Seems to me you are looking for something to show off with, bragging rights rather than what will sound good for your needs.

Mar 22, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #32 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And your decision making for headphones defies logic still. Seems to me you are looking for something to show off with, bragging rights rather than what will sound good for your needs.

Logic is not for me. I can float and shoot fireballs out of my palm.

I´ll leave you to your work now, Dr. Freud.

Mar 22, 2009 at 7:40 AM Post #36 of 70
HD650 has more prominent mid-bass than the DT880.
They both dig deep though. The HD650 seemed to have more impact than the 880. Both great headphones, an amp is a must. I was running HD650 from my PC and it sounded like a total turd.
Never heard the AKG so can't comment.

Mar 22, 2009 at 11:17 AM Post #38 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
650s.. The 880s are too sterile & analytical without a tube amp.. & the 701 really needs good synergy to sound really good. The 650's will be more musical with thumping bass & lush mids.. Your SC will drive them well enough.. But they will keep getting better with better amplification, & scales better then the 880/701.

x2.

Mar 22, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #40 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes, regardless of that shield, im not sure if Erik is still using a computer from 1998, but i havent heard electrical interference through a decent soundcard/motherboard combo in YEARS. But dont take my word for it, go ask all the people who use their sound cards as a source, there are sure a lot of them floating around here.

Hmmm. I've gotten some noise off an Intel Mac Mini through Toslink, as well as some off a Delta 66 in a dual Opteron server. Not a huge amount, but too much for my tastes. I've seen more than a few posts from people getting interference, as well.

I don't have any computers from 1998, but I do have a NeXT and a IIfx from around 1988.
biggrin.gif

Mar 22, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #41 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm. I've gotten some noise off an Intel Mac Mini through Toslink, as well as some off a Delta 66 in a dual Opteron server. Not a huge amount, but too much for my tastes. I've seen more than a few posts from people getting interference, as well.

I don't have any computers from 1998, but I do have a NeXT and a IIfx from around 1988.
biggrin.gif

Its been quite some time for since i've had audio from a PC do that. The only area that would still be a problem, that i could see, is with the integrated audio chip, if you're using it. They've come a long way over the last four or five years but you can still get minor distortion through it which is just one of the benefits of switching to a add-on card.

Nice antiques you got there
icon10.gif

Mar 23, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #42 of 70
Quote:

This is not directed at Curawong's comments specifically, but you'll find plenty of people on this forum who refuse to believe that a vastly cheaper peice of equipment than what they use could possibly be any good.
wink.gif

and there is a vast number of manufacturers that rip-off a vast number of audiophiles including Head-Fiers based on that principle and the myth of EMI and noisy hostile PC environment.

LYNX22 is 500$ professional PCI card that matches the performance of Lynx products used by almost 50% of the recording studios of commercial CD's and is used to measure S/N ratio and jitter of esoteric rip-off DACs, and Players like the Meridian, Wadia, Linn Sondek and others.

Linn's president was voted entrepreneur of the year recently.
wink.gif

The sound is different but you can record them using your Lynx and the result will be indistinguishable.

Plus the 30$ OzoneMP (a WinAmp plug-in) will model the output of your TI chip to give a run for the money of almost any tube amp.

I have not heard that ASUS card but given the chips involved and the evolution (Lynx is more than 5 years old) and the reviews at Head-Fi I have no problem believing that this card smokes most of the consumer DACs and players out there.

My only reservation is the ability of the integrated amp to drive Senn's and AKG's properly given their high impedance.

Mar 23, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #43 of 70
Quote:

but i havent heard electrical interference through a decent soundcard/motherboard combo in YEARS.

... 3 years ago, I had a good gigabyte mobo, Opteron 165, case, and psu, along with a DMX Xfire sound-card + amplifier module. Individually, they were top-of-the-line prosumer circa 2005. Combined, there were incredible amount of noises generated through the DMX Xfire card when driving the HD600. This was especially noticeable whenever my 10k RPM Raptor in Raid0 started spinning up... Eventually, the Xfire's amp blew-out so I got a total-bithead, which sounded noticeably better.

besides electrical interference, the biggest issue is really ground noise. I've seen PCI cards acting up when I turn on the vacuum cleaner in the same room due to poor power-supply filtering...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back