Which one will it be: Sennheiser 650 or Beyerd 880 or AKG 702?
Mar 24, 2009 at 10:34 AM Post #46 of 70
yes, the HD580 is the better headphone. It's comparable to the HD600.

When you're going to choose from HD650/DT880/D2000 I don't think you can go wrong with any one of these. FWIR the K701 is more of a love/hate headphone though. Your best bet IMO is to get them from a shop with a good return policy and try them for your self to see which one you like best. Many shops that offer 30 days.

Mar 24, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #47 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquanote /img/forum/go_quote.gif
in your signature it says you sold your HD595. Now you´ve got the HD580 (instead).

you think it´s the better one all around of those 2?

Defiantly, the part thats great about the HD580 and its siblings the HD600, and the HD650, is that they scale very well if you decide to get a better amp, and even a cable upgrade. I listen to tones of different genres and I feel the HD580 handles them all very well. You should list your musical tastes, because different headphones are better for different genres. I would not recommend the HD580 to someone who mostly listens to rap, or techno, music where there is an emphasis on bass.

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Mar 30, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #49 of 70
Aquanote-

In spite of my earlier post, I have spent some time looking at the TPA6120A2 chip and diy amp designs using this chip and reviews. I have been impressed enough to order a $120 portable amp version, which I will feed with an Asus D1 soundcard, an Alien DAC and a Keces 131 MkII DAC. I will be comparing to a Woo Audio 6 amp, using my existing HD650 hp and an on-order pair of DT150 250 ohms hp.

Will let you know what I think - should be fun.

Marcel

Mar 30, 2009 at 7:32 AM Post #51 of 70
Quote:

are the 880´s more comfortbale than the HD650? I read that the 650 have a tight fit and the 880´s have very soft pads.

Only way they will be too tight is if you cant figure out how to pull them apart before putting them on, do that for a week and then they will fit perfect.

Mar 30, 2009 at 7:47 AM Post #52 of 70
Just off topic note. I strongly disagree that with decent PCI soundcard you will hear buzz etc... I NEVER ever heard any noise from new soundcard (SB x-Fi for example) or even onboard Realtek.

Only on 5 years old Toshiba notebook I hear some noise when HD works and on even older Sb Live there is hiss when no music is playing. But that are VERY OLD soundcards.

And 2 topic: I don't recommend Beyers for slow electronic but you may like them for "naked" music.

Mar 30, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #53 of 70
I have the DT880's and now have the HD650's with a cable mod on order. I am waiting for my Compass order as well so in the meantime I am running the DT880s off my soundcard, which is the Auzentech Prelude X-Fi with the additional opamp.

This is one of the best soundcards on the market and having the DT880 hooked up to it and found that I had to have my volume on my PC up quite loud to get the sound into my 880s at a reasonable volume.

Having said that, once I do hit the reasonable volume with them I am very impressed with the sound. I don't think you can go wrong with either the HD650 or the 880s, but I do feel you will be needed an amp very soon.

Mar 30, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #54 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They would have to be very poor amps for $400 that couldn't compete with a sound card, or reviewers without a clue from popular non-hi-fi magazines. Not to mention, it's not just the amp that is important for music, but the DAC (Digital to Analogue Converter). Even an amp by itself wont do much for the relatively poor sound that comes out of sound cards.

I second the idea of attending a meet if you can. You'll get a huge shock. You'll be grossly over-spending on any of the headphones that interest you if all you intend to do is plug them into your sound card.

no

Apr 1, 2009 at 8:13 AM Post #55 of 70
Hi
I am in the same position as you, I have the Xonar Essence and I'm looking for a nice pair of headphones for a very varied music library(I listen to almost everything exept classical). I'm considering AKG K601, Sennheiser 650 or maybe grado 225.

I think the Essence soundcard is teriffic as source for my stereo system and I think that if you are using your computer as source it is a great choice as it has great suport for surround-sound and game suport. I have built a silent multimedia computer using prosumer-level components and I have no problem at all with noice or other electronic interference. The Asus-card use the power-suply as a direct powersource and therefore removes any interference from the motherboard, so if you have a decent powersuply there is no problem at all with EMI.

Apr 4, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #56 of 70
Quote:

are the 880´s more comfortbale than the HD650? I read that the 650 have a tight fit and the 880´s have very soft pads.

I was in your position and seriously considered both of these reference-grade cans. The HD650s were oval-shaped and enclosed the ears better than the rounder shape of the DT880s. However, the HD650's death grip on the skull was just too much compared to the pillowy-soft DT880s.

Also, keep in mind the Senns are open while the beyers are semi-open so depending on your listening environment you may not want to be disturbing everyone within 15 feet!

What sealed the deal for me was the transparency and speed of the DT880s as the majority of my listening is in R&B and dance music. If you decide on the DT880s, the PRO model has more clamping force than the 'Consumer' Premium model.

The Denon AH-D5000s were also in the running as fun phones so you may want to add them on your consideration list.

Apr 4, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #57 of 70
FYI, I doubt there is any driver faster than Sennheiser's aluminum voice coil...

Just because the HD650s are not bright does not mean it's slow. That's something Head-Fiers who are calling Senns slow need to accept, they just believe bright sounding, treble emphasized headphones to sound faster, when in reality, that is WRONG.

Just say you prefer a brighter and treble emphasized headphone and be done with it. That's far more truthful. I admit it, when I'm in the mood, I prefer the brighter sounding AD900s.

Apr 4, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #58 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FYI, I doubt there is any driver faster than Sennheiser's aluminum voice coil...

Just because the HD650s are not bright does not mean it's slow. That's something Head-Fiers who are calling Senns slow need to accept, they just believe bright sounding, treble emphasized headphones to sound faster, when in reality, that is WRONG.

Just say you prefer a brighter and treble emphasized headphone and be done with it. That's far more truthful. I admit it, when I'm in the mood, I prefer the brighter sounding AD900s.

Another part of the Veil that is 75% the OEM cable. Right amp and cable and they will sound as fast as you want. IMO

Apr 4, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #59 of 70
yea thats why I ordered the Dt 880 now. As much as the sound is important to me, the comfort has to be outstanding since I´m gonna use them for hours long sessions. The 880´s supposed to be super soft and it looks that way too. Can´t way for monday when they will arrive
smile.gif

I think both the 650 and 880 are fine choices since in this thread alone many people praise both of them equally. Comfort made me go for the Beyers (for now
wink.gif
)

Quote:

Originally Posted by techfreakazoid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was in your position and seriously considered both of these reference-grade cans. The HD650s were oval-shaped and enclosed the ears better than the rounder shape of the DT880s. However, the HD650's death grip on the skull was just too much compared to the pillowy-soft DT880s.

Also, keep in mind the Senns are open while the beyers are semi-open so depending on your listening environment you may not want to be disturbing everyone within 15 feet!

What sealed the deal for me was the transparency and speed of the DT880s as the majority of my listening is in R&B and dance music. If you decide on the DT880s, the PRO model has more clamping force than the 'Consumer' Premium model.

The Denon AH-D5000s were also in the running as fun phones so you may want to add them on your consideration list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back