Which one? Sennheiser HD 598's or Grado sr225i's?
Aug 19, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #16 of 32
Quote:
Definitely. And the thing with Grados is that, for the most part, there exists a "house sound" that you can find from the little SR60s all the way up through the flagship PS1000s. That's why I will often recommend that people consider spending $79 and getting the 60s (or 80s) to start with, and then if they connect with them consider moving up the line. 

That's a great suggestion. The SR60s are very cheap and can introduce people to the joy of modding :) 

Aug 19, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #17 of 32
Dubstep sounds a bit odd with the SR225i... My HE-400 plays Dubstep much, much better than my Grados and from what I remember better than the HD598 as well. However for classic rock, hands down the SR225i... Absolutely superb mids and treble and very clean bass. Just enough bass impact to feel the bass drum and bass guitar and when the guitars, cymbals, and vocals come in tune... Gaah only people who love rock with Grados will understand. Jazz and Classical music is good on Grados as well (some classical, not massive soundstage dependent classical). I'm sure both the HD598 and HE-400 play rock fairly well as well, but compared to the Grados, it's a one man race really.

Aug 20, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #18 of 32
HD598 doesnt have the energy to play rock and dubstep well, it lacks sub bass too so i guess the grado and he-400 are better options

Aug 20, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #19 of 32
Quote:
HD598 doesnt have the energy to play rock and dubstep well, it lacks sub bass too so i guess the grado and he-400 are better options

Problem is the grados lack quite a bit of bass as well. But for any rock that requires speed, it's preferred over the 598 despite the 598s being the least laidback of the Senn cans (except maybe HD800 which I haven't heard). HE-400 should be able to do any bassy genres very well. I've seen a guy own both the HE-400 and the 598s, and what he does is listen to any genre with his HE-400 that doesn't involve a lot of vocals or soundstage. They're a pretty good combination in that regards. 

Aug 20, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #20 of 32
Problem is the grados lack quite a bit of bass as well. But for any rock that requires speed, it's preferred over the 598 despite the 598s being the least laidback of the Senn cans (except maybe HD800 which I haven't heard). HE-400 should be able to do any bassy genres very well. I've seen a guy own both the HE-400 and the 598s, and what he does is listen to any genre with his HE-400 that doesn't involve a lot of vocals or soundstage. They're a pretty good combination in that regards. 

I never found both the Grado and HD598 to be "lacking" bass by any means. Maybe it's just my ears, but the bass on both is substantial while the bass on the HE-400 is what I would call emphasized. I always think when people say a certain can doesn't have enough bass, I think they are asking for too much. For example, I'm the kind of person that finds the HD800 to have the perfect (closest thing to perfect) amount of bass corresponding to the mids and treble while some people complain that they are bass light.

Aug 20, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #22 of 32
well the mid bass bass amount is good, its just the sub bass that i would like to hit a little harder

Aug 20, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #23 of 32
Quote:
I never found both the Grado and HD598 to be "lacking" bass by any means. Maybe it's just my ears, but the bass on both is substantial while the bass on the HE-400 is what I would call emphasized. I always think when people say a certain can doesn't have enough bass, I think they are asking for too much. For example, I'm the kind of person that finds the HD800 to have the perfect (closest thing to perfect) amount of bass corresponding to the mids and treble while some people complain that they are bass light.

I find the 598 to be lacking a bit in the mid-bass (75-150 hertz). As for the Grados, I don't really remember. Sometimes bass light is a perception that we get from strong treble, like for instance the DT880s. I do find it is much closer to neutral than "lean" but for the OP's genres, I said they were lacking a bit in the bass department since that's how he will most likely perceive them. 

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #25 of 32
Not trying to steal your thread here but I am also stuck in the same predicament. I am mainly an alternative/ alternative rock listener and I dont know which one to get. I am more leaning towards the hd598s though because of the detail...

Aug 25, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #26 of 32
Quote:
Not trying to steal your thread here but I am also stuck in the same predicament. I am mainly an alternative/ alternative rock listener and I dont know which one to get. I am more leaning towards the hd598s though because of the detail...

The detail is good although it doesn't have the level of clarity as many more expensive headphones, which I think is partly due to the earcup size (smaller than most). Don't get me wrong though because it still has much more clarity than lower end headphones. I think the only aspect of the 598 that could disappoint you is the bass, but you could always EQ that and pair it up with an amp to tighten it. The bass suits nearly all music that I listen to so again, it depends on the music. 

Aug 25, 2012 at 3:40 AM Post #27 of 32
the bass may dissapoint bassheads as the sub bass doesnt slam that hard but the detail soundstage and midrange would be good. does not beat detail king srh940 though (srh940 detail rivals some close to $1000 headphones for that matter)

Jan 27, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #28 of 32
I owned those exact same headphones and I found that everytime I wanted to listen to rock I would grab the Grado's, Much more engaging and they do a wonderful job with electric guitar. For classical and jazz though I much preferred the Senn's vastly smoother sound and the comfort was top-notch. Both are good phones and I could live with either, but it was nice to have the choice. I recently heard some Grado325's through a tube amp and I must say they were really good, don't know if they just really like tubes or what but they sounded much better overall than my 225's did.

Apr 11, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #29 of 32
I myself was very close o purchasing the Hi-FiMan HE 400's, until it was pointed out to me by some knowledgeable people that not only are they VERY large compared to the Grados, but they are very open, I thought OK, so what they leak some sound, I'll play them low, or else screw the people around me, to a certain degree, but; No I was told they don't just " leak " some sound, but they actually " project " it outwards....that sounds like a bar fight ready to happen. I don't want to be every-ones enemy....

I was told you have to pretty much suck up the idea that the Hi-Fi-mans are going to be strictly limited to an at home pair of headphones.....Me - I like to have some flexibility as to wear hp's where I want to listen to them, like a Starbucks etc, without " projecting sound ".....If you can live with that idea, and can make the price jump up to $ 400, then everyone seem to be thrilled with them, just consider your listening environment carefully - plus one last thing - like all planar magnetic hps, amplification is pretty much going to be mandatory - very in-efficient - that means pretty much accepting the idea that your going to have to spend $ 100 plus on a decent amp. ( you don't want to spend $ 400 on the HE-400, then buy some $ 50 amp What's the point ????) so this puts yo in two different price categories Grado 80is for a little over $ 100 no amp required, or $ 500 plus for the Hi-fiMan set up with an amp - of course you are going to get two entirely different listening experiences, at this price diff. you can't really compare the two.

Apr 11, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #30 of 32
Get the HD 518 and save some bucks, they have more Bass than the HD 598 and the HD 518, 558 and 598 use the same drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back