Which one for vocal & midrange: HE-6 vs LCD-2??
Mar 25, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #4 of 26
I tried both and did not keep either.  I preferred the mids of the LCD-2.  On the other hand, I preferred the bass and treble of the HE-6.  Neither could muster a sonic presentation that meshed well with my preferences, and I preferred both the T1 and the HD800 to these orthos.

Personally, if I had the cash, I'd skip both and go for a Sony R10
biggrin.gif
.  The mids on the R10 really haven't been bettered by anything else I've heard.

Mar 25, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #6 of 26

Quote:
I tried both and did not keep either.  I preferred the mids of the LCD-2.  On the other hand, I preferred the bass and treble of the HE-6.  Neither could muster a sonic presentation that meshed well with my preferences, and I preferred both the T1 and the HD800 to these orthos.

Personally, if I had the cash, I'd skip both and go for a Sony R10
biggrin.gif
.  The mids on the R10 really haven't been bettered by anything else I've heard.

Sony R10 gonna make me broke 
biggrin.gif

What makes you prefer the T1 and the HD800? Their mids?

Quote:
Neither. Stax O2

Thanks for answering. Not interested in Stats at the moment. 

Mar 25, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #7 of 26
No, it wasn't the mids of the T1 or HD800 -- which are quite good in their own respect, but probably not *quite* as good as the HE-6, and inferior to the LCD-2.  Rather, it was their overall tonal balance -- they sounded much more natural to me.  The T1 and HD800 are both a little bit emphasized in the treble, but they seem to me to be more neutral in the bass region, with proper quantity and impact.

Also, I don't think either of the orthos can match the HD800 or T1 on spatial presentation.  The HD800 has the best soundstage of any headphone I've tried, while the T1 has the best imaging (along with the R10).  Soundstage and imaging are not the strong points of either of the orthos.  I would say that the HE-6 are spatially a bit better than the LCD-2, but both get it wrong IMO.

Comfort's a factor, too -- the HD800 wins the comfort prize hands down for me.

If you're just concerned with the mids, then I'd go with the LCD-2 -- to me, they're the clear winner of the group.  But if everything is taken into account (bass, mids, treble, spatial presentation, comfort), I'd personally have to recommend the T1 or HD800 over the orthos.

Mar 25, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #9 of 26

Quote:
Which one would you recommend for life-like involving vocal & mid-centric?
I haven't tried any of them, therefore your help will be much appreciated! Thanks.

Vocals  LCD > HE6
LCD's have more of a human feel to the vocals and more intimate with less sibilance. He6's still very good though.
Mid-centric  
LCD's - more presence,fuller,richer,dense but still fast and detailed. 
HE-6's - leaner,neutral,lighter,more spacious,fast & detailed.

Both very involving and musical

Mar 26, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #10 of 26
Yeah, I'm with soaphonax above for preferring the T1s and 800s, but for somewhat different reasons.
My T1s and 800s have a great control of vocals, and vocals are the most problematic thing to reproduce in headphones (& speakers for that matter).
The SLIGHTEST bit of slurring or woozienss in vocals drives me crazy, along with upper-mid piercing overtones or pushyness. The orthos just don't have that kind of grip for me
in comparison to the dynamics. (I like my PS1000s too for vocals, but you need to have a great amp to control the bass on those, in which case they are great).
I would try T1s. I could live with T1s as my only phones. They are just to-die-for with no surprises and not bright or ringy coming straight out of my B52 with the stock cable (using nice tubes).
I just spent last night listening to Carole King (Tapestry) and Credence and the T1s just do it best, keeping the vocals delicate, lifelike, and detailed, while some other phones
(like the orthos) can scream a bit or blur things. Vocals are harder to get right than any instrument. I think our human brains are specially tuned to recognize natural ones.

Mar 26, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #11 of 26

Quote:
Good mids, and vocals? Audio Technica ATH-W5000...but probably they are out of your budget. 

uh, what? the w5000 is half the price of everything here on the used market.

Mar 26, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #13 of 26
Audio Technica and Stax headphones are the most mid centric headphones IME...

The LCD2s lack too much treble for vocals for my preferences. HD800 has funky presentation of mids. T1 is WAY too bright for my ears. HE6, I only heard chamber music with so I can't make an opinion. Is there anything else I'm missing?

Audio Technica woodies will all be better than any of the other choices IMO for vocals. Any of these headphones in the review in my signature will all do vocals better IMO.

Mar 26, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #14 of 26
There are many types of Audio Technica headphones and I wouldn't say this brand has a consistent 'house sound'.
My A500s sound very different than the M40fs I had and the M50's for instance.
And the A500s and the M50s aren't mid centric at all.
The only mid-centric Audio Technicas I know of (from what I've read) are the W5000s and the W1000xs, so probably you mean the high-end Audio Technicas?

EDIT:
Yes you mean the 'high-end' Audio Technica woodies...I didn't follow the link in your signature :)
Quote:
Audio Technica and Stax headphones are the most mid centric headphones IME...

Mar 26, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:
There are many types of Audio Technica headphones and I wouldn't say this brand has a consistent 'house sound'.
My A500s sound very different than the M40fs I had and the M50's for instance.
And the A500s and the M50s aren't mid centric at all.
The only mid-centric Audio Technicas I know of (from what I've read) are the W5000s and the W1000xs, so probably you mean the high-end Audio Technicas?

EDIT:
Yes you mean the 'high-end' Audio Technica woodies...I didn't follow the link in your signature :)

Ah, yes right. The A-s generally aren't mid-centric and neither was the M50 I heard. There are occasions where there is a mid centric A-model headphone that uses the same drivers as those in the W-series. Generally though, their headphones are mid centric. I think even their ES10 portable model, but I don't recall exactly. I believe the ES10 uses the same driver as the W1000X. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Anything wooden is a given mid centric headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back