Which of these open-back headphones should I get? EDIT: Solved
Jul 7, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #17 of 21
Ooh! Tempting! 
biggrin.gif
 I don't know though . . . I don't trust used stuff from Amazon (or ebay or anything else for that matter) as much as I trust used stuff from members on Head-Fi. Maybe I'm just paranoid but I'm thinking "maybe if I got a pair of used HD 558s the speakers would be blown because whoever had them first listened to their music too loud (which could happen if whoever had it first lived in a noisy home or used them in public since they are open-backed and let noise in easily)" . . . that is one scenario that has been running through my mind. I don't know I just feel uncomfortable whenever I consider buying anything used. I have a lot more trust that people on this site would treat their headphones nicely since everyone here LOVES their audio gear. And yes I do know that if I bought them used they could have come from a member that is registered here on head-fi. Despite all of what I just said, I will CONSIDER buying the 558s used . . . haha you probably think I am crazy because everyone else I know does not have any problems/worries about buying things used.

EDIT: I have decided that I WOULD buy the HD 558s used. I will then buy the FiiO E11 new.

Jul 9, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #18 of 21
Actually, I think that I will just get the HD 558s (new) and just postpone getting the amp until around Christmas/holiday time. I will only be able to get the HD 558s if my Incase Sonics sell though (I am trying to sell them to a friend). The HD 558s should be OK unamped (for now) as at least I will be able to drive them straight out of a computer or DAP with no amp (having only a 50 ohm impedance and high sensitivity).

EDIT: How well do the 518/558s respond to amping by the way? Is it even worth it? Or do they not respond well at all (like I hear my Incase Sonics don't)

EDIT #2: I hope I will be able to pull off getting the 558s as I would love having the nice velour earpads and headband!

Jul 9, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:
Actually, I think that I will just get the HD 558s (new) and just postpone getting the amp until around Christmas/holiday time. I will only be able to get the HD 558s if my Incase Sonics sell though (I am trying to sell them to a friend). The HD 558s should be OK unamped (for now) as at least I will be able to drive them straight out of a computer or DAP with no amp (having only a 50 ohm impedance and high sensitivity).

EDIT: How well do the 518/558s respond to amping by the way? Is it even worth it? Or do they not respond well at all (like I hear my Incase Sonics don't)

EDIT #2: I hope I will be able to pull off getting the 558s as I would love having the nice velour earpads and headband!

The HD558 should improve more with an amplifier then the HD518 would.
(kind of an answer)

Jul 9, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #20 of 21
If you already pulled the trigger, disregard this....but I would really advise you to go above the 518s. I rarely will mention negative experiences on here, but I am on record about the 518s. I bought them late last year and really did not care for the comfort or the low end. They will overheat your head and the bass is VERY boomy. As mentioned above, the drivers are better in the models just above them, and from what I've heard they are much better headphones. I sold mine not long after I purchased them once I found other headphones in the same range or cheaper that I liked significantly better. I would definitely stick with Sennheiser, but if you can go above the 518s I think you'll be happy you did. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back