Which of these closed portables?
Mar 30, 2011 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

BennyBass

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

My brother and I are looking to buy a new pair of portables to go with our soon to own sansa clips. We both own Koss PortaPro's so we would like something closed and bit heavier in bass. The PortaPro's leak to much sound.

I've limited the selection to these so far:

-AKG K450
-AKG K518
-Pioneer SE MJ51 or the MJ71 but can't seem to find a place that sells them.
-Panasonic RP-HC101E-K

We both listen to dubstep, drum & bass, trance, downtempo and sometimes classical music.

Which of the above would you recommend?

We are willing to spend up to £70/$115 so please if you think their is something better in this price range please let me know :)

Mar 30, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #2 of 5
sennheisers?? px 200, hd 238 or even hd 4x8 series.. but hd 238 are open.
px 200 leans more on bass imho, the 4x8 series are much more balance except from 438 that emphasizes on bass department, i say they were portables for i am using them everyday for school :D.

i would stay away from those AKG's as much as possible.. 

AND well come to head-fi.. i srsly got more poorer when i joined here. lolol

Mar 30, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #3 of 5
Hi Andrew,

Thank you for the reply and welcome. From what I've read it seams the px200's and the portapros sound similar so I don't think I'll pick them.

Whats wrong with the AKG's?

Mar 30, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #4 of 5
I liked my AKG K81 (came before the 518, I think). Portable, sturdy, good bass, and worked great out of my Sansa Fuze unamped. But, if you have a large head, then you might find them uncomfortable on your ears after a while. But, you can buy Sennheiser velour pads for like $15.

Also, Sony XB500. Lots of bass and within your price range. Not as portable, but I have seen people wearing them around my campus.

Mar 31, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #5 of 5
oh yes youre right, they do feel the same Koss PP and senn px 200, but sq on px 200 are much much better.. 
i dont like the AKG's signature.. im sorry is should have not said you stay away from them. its more on my sound preferences. well if you can rehearse them, you can make better choice. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back