Which is the best headphone you have (or have tried) in terms of price/quality ratio?
Mar 3, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #108 of 127
K7XX scales like crazy for a $200 headphone. Takes to a tube but also sings out of my Jotunheim. 650 is great in balanced mode out of that though.

I just picked up a used pair of lcd-2 on eBay a couple months ago for $400. I’m pretty sure mine are fazor, just an awesome can at that price.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #109 of 127
K7XX scales like crazy for a $200 headphone. Takes to a tube but also sings out of my Jotunheim. 650 is great in balanced mode out of that though.

People swear by that HD650 & Joti combination. Do you even like the K7XX more than the HD650 with that same crazy powerful amp? Does the K7XX ever get too bright given the amp's signature? That would be quite the bargain (minus the amp of course)

Mar 3, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #110 of 127
It’s hard to make a fair comparison since I use the balanced mode with the 650 out of the Jody and the single ended with the K7XX. I would say the 650 balanced is the better of the two but the K7XX is also very good from the Jody. I just got a new tube on eBay though for the Vali 2 and it sounds great with K7XX. I’m really liking the air and soundstage with it, tube is an Amperex PQ that I won for 23.50.

I don’t really find the K7XX too bright with the Jotunheim but noticeably more treble energy than the Vali 2.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #111 of 127
Airpods. I believe it destroys many expensive IEMs around $300-$800. To my ears, it absolutely destroys Noble X without question.

Plus, it is amazingly comfortable and convenient. There is a reason why it is a best seller among others.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #112 of 127
Airpods. I believe it destroys many expensive IEMs around $300-$800. To my ears, it absolutely destroys Noble X without question.

Plus, it is amazingly comfortable and convenient.
Fit is quite important for iem sound quality, and I have doubt that such fit can provide greater than decent for iem performance.

airpods.jpg

Mar 3, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #113 of 127
Fit is quite important for iem sound quality, and I have doubt that such fit can provide greater than decent for iem performance.

airpods.jpg
That is one thing I was surprised. Noble X sounds very thin with loose foams/ear tips. So I tried various ear tips including comfy tips, but I eventually gave up because tight fit caused too much pain to my ears.
However, Airpods does not sound that thin like noble x with loose fit. With loose fit, it may not retain bass as much, but still it does not destroy entire SQ, and mids are still there. And I feel like I wear nothing around my ears. Also, there are some ear tips available, if more bass responses needed, for Airpods.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #114 of 127
That is one thing I was surprised. Noble X sounds very thin with loose foams/ear tips. So I tried various ear tips including comfy tips, but I eventually gave up because tight fit caused too much pain to my ears.
However, Airpods does not sound that thin like noble x with loose fit. With loose fit, it may not retain bass as much, but still it does not destroy entire SQ, and mids are still there. And I feel like I wear nothing around my ears. Also, there are some ear tips available, if more bass responses needed, for Airpods.
Noble X is probably a tuning issue if tried all the tips. I know seal is quite important as even ear-buds do not have much seal, and when putting even foam to fill the open areas to provide a seal, makes a huge difference in presence of lower frequencies.

Some people find discomfort with iems with the insertion and I guess the pressure from the tips. Perhaps, you are part of that group. I may have more tolerance to this as I wear iems all day long, and I use various types of silicone tips, and also deep insertion types.

Mar 3, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #115 of 127
Noble X is probably a tuning issue if tried all the tips. I know seal is quite important as even ear-buds do not have much seal, and when putting even foam to fill the open areas to provide a seal, makes a huge difference in presence of lower frequencies.

Some people find discomfort with iems with the insertion and I guess the pressure from the tips. Perhaps, you are part of that group. I may have more tolerance to this as I wear iems all day long, and I use various types of silicone tips, and also deep insertion types.

Setting aside the fit issue, Airpods are quite great. I have a friend who owned many IEMs including Shure, Noble K10, and many other very expensive IEMs. We concluded that airpods are the best taking into account all kinds of considerations. IEMs are just IEMs.

Oct 1, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #120 of 127
I'm starting to think that a used HE-4XX is a wonderful option in this category.
I upgraded the pads and cable, which came out to a total of $200 .. wonderful price/performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back