Which is the best headphone you have (or have tried) in terms of price/quality ratio?
Jan 29, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #76 of 127
Considering the HE-500's are now going for around $300 they are a real steal and one of my long time favourites. They didn't hold their value like the HE-6 which makes them an even better buy as they have about 96% of the performance of the HE-6 in my opinion. I really enjoy my HE-500's :D
I think that you may be right. I a/b tested the HE-500 against RS-1, HD 600, edition 8 and D7000, and the HE-500 *murdered* those headphones in terms of balance, sound quality and sheer enjoyment. No comparison.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #77 of 127
My MF200B Balanced phones. I got them for £69 as they were discontinued. I felt as if I'd mugged someone.
Only £59.99 now :)

Shame the V90BHA is not as cheap as it was. I love my regular MF200 and the V90HPA although not together funnily enough.

But seriously any Musical Fidelity headphone (and I've got the lot except the balanced 200) could be on here. Their decision to pull out of the headphone market was one of the greatest gifts to the enlightened audiophile

EDITED for usual silly errors

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #78 of 127
Yup I love them. I've got the MF100, MF200 & the MF200B (with the V90BHA). I got mine from Romania before the price crashed here, too. I don't use Iems's so haven't indulged. The MF range is what I would call 'eccentric'. There's lots of things wrong but there's lots of things right too. People will either love them or hate them, I don't think there's much middle ground.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #79 of 127
Yes they are an acquired taste. Need plenty of mainly mental burn in (and much stretching of the MF200 headband) but they are so pure in sound that once adjusted to them most things sound a little bit dull in comparison

Feb 10, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #85 of 127
AKG 7xx with Sonarworks plugin --- I'm still amazed at how good these phones can sound
I had the K701 long ago, now curious how they perform with the setup I have now. They are pretty inexpensive if comparing to what's out there now. Same goes for Beyers.

I just recall K701 being a bit lacking on the low end with a bit of high end emphasis. But in terms of performance, I wonder how I see them now.

I've been playing with EQ software lately and I just can't get certain headphones to sound right with EQ. I know what bands needs to be raised or reduced, but just doesn't sound right when I EQ. It could be my software if there can be difference in software in terms of performance. I would think Sonarworks would be in the same line being software, pre-set EQ.

With all this playing with EQ, I would say you can't make two headphones sound identical no matter how precise the preset is. There is a difference between quality driver vs inferior is only way I can conclude based on my experience.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #86 of 127
I had the K701 long ago, now curious how they perform with the setup I have now. They are pretty inexpensive if comparing to what's out there now. Same goes for Beyers.

I just recall K701 being a bit lacking on the low end with a bit of high end emphasis. But in terms of performance, I wonder how I see them now.

I really didn't like the AKG 7xx much until I started using Sonarworks with them.. it makes a huge difference. It did with the Q701's also, so you might want to give it a try. The software is amazing with PortaPro's also -- I don't notice as big an improvement with my Fostex or HiFiMan cans

Feb 11, 2018 at 6:26 PM Post #87 of 127
I can't comment on $2800 earphones. Thats a World I've no wish to occupy

I have my current answer to the question lightly caressing my ears at this very moment. I give you the

Ultrasone Hfi15g

These are misunderstood phones They are not portable headphones. Being quite cheaply finished and a weighing just 80 grams they may appear so. The included 4m (high quality) extension cable gives the game away. They need serious amplification both in terms of power (almost equal to my HD600) and quality to show their full potential. The sense of scale, sounds stage and perfect tonality is mind blowing for something so lightweight and cheap (60 to 80£/€ let alone the £23 they cost me)

They are 90% of a HD600 very similar just lacking a little detail and a little more recessed in the mids countered with a slightly better sound stage and an airier presentation. Beautiful sounding phones.

A true wolf in sheep's clothing

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back