Which iron do you use?
Jul 4, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #16 of 73
Another vote for Hakko 936. I have used crappy RS irons for years and
didn't know what I was missing. Once you use one it will be difficult to go
back.

Jul 5, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #17 of 73
I plan on replacing my Rat Shack 15watt soon with either a Hakko Dash 15 watt or 20watt. Whats a good iron holder, the white Hakko one with the metal stuff or the yellow sponge?
kote633-01.jpg
kote633-02.jpg

Jul 5, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #18 of 73
I use a cheap 40w generic thing...does the job and can replace the tips for about nearly nothing...and lots to choose from

It cost me $10 canadian...and I use this thin solder that has flux on it...I need a proper station soon...Ill keep my eye open

Jul 5, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #23 of 73
At work, I use Metcal MX-500's. At home, I use a Hakko 928 dual-head iron. Great for SMT parts, just use both irons and lift R's and C's right off the board.

I love the Metcal irons, they run rings around the Hakko. Too expensive for home use, though.

Hakko 928:

hakko_928.jpg

Jul 5, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #24 of 73
I've been using a cheapo Radio Shack iron. I guess I'm stumped as to how it could be "better"; I plug it in, it heats up, I tin the tip and I solder with it. What else is there?

Jul 5, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #25 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by slowpogo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been using a cheapo Radio Shack iron. I guess I'm stumped as to how it could be "better"; I plug it in, it heats up, I tin the tip and I solder with it. What else is there?

Ditto... I just picked up the RS iron, tho. Haven't actually used it, but I don't understand what other benefits a soldering iron could have. . .

Jul 5, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #26 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by grndslm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ditto... I just picked up the RS iron, tho. Haven't actually used it, but I don't understand what other benefits a soldering iron could have. . .

Simple, nicer irons heat up faster, stay at a steady hot temperature longer, some have temperature control so you don't burn things and have a large array of replaceable tips that don't corrode on you in a few days like the cheap iron I've had before. Whew, that was one long sentence, did I cover everything?

Jul 5, 2007 at 8:03 PM Post #27 of 73
I am using a Weller100 right now, but I will definately go Hakko once I need another one.

As FallenAngel said, the tips on RS irons are horrible. Some have even exploded. It makes for a very bad solder joint when you use their big tips. They are supposed to be replaceable, but they do not get much smaller. It is like asking why Senns are better than Sony Earbuds.

Jul 5, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #28 of 73
25 watt Weller. It was a gift, and one that's gotten a lot of use. Takes a few minutes to get up to heat, but I plug it in, then gather the rest of my tools, and by the time I'm ready it is.

Jul 5, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #29 of 73
Hmm...I got another Iron...LOL...the same as what I have now...now I have 2 ****** generic irons...but I only got the iron because at sayal they said I could get 3 tips for free...which was 1.99x3 so the iron was 9.99...so I was like...what the heck...extra $4 i get an iron for something I was going to buy anyways.

Jul 6, 2007 at 4:53 AM Post #30 of 73
Man, I went to Fry's today....checked out their line of hakkos....insane! I was an inch away from buying one, but I think I'm going to wait until I'm ready to drop about 100 bucks or so into one....if I'm going to get a good one, it can be a great one.

Has anyone ever used those vent sucker things for solder smoke? I normally wouldn't complain, but man this silver stuff is crazy if the temp is just a bit off. Thanks for the heads up on the hakkos though....it'll be my next brand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back