Which iron do you use?
Aug 12, 2007 at 1:27 PM Post #46 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by KerryKing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

Have you checked out this page??
http://www.hakko.com/world_network.html#29
I did that when i wanted a new iron, and they were great to speak to, at least the Swedes. What you think is a high price i don't know
wink.gif

Ended up with a free Weller WTCP iron instead so i newer bought one hehe

/Erik

yeah, Nedis = the Benelux distributor but (besides only selling to companies, which can be circumvented) they have scrapped the Hakko from their line-up and replaced it with the clone CT936 which I will probably get.

I also contacted the German and French distributors. The Germans won't ship to Belgium. The French will, but then it will cost €129 + €36 = €165 = $226 for a Hakko 936. This is quite ridiculous as they can be had within the US for about $80-90 shipped.

I'll probably go for the CT936 as I can still take use from the various tips Hakko offers, but of course I also would prefer a free Weller of course

Aug 12, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #47 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Televator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, Nedis = the Benelux distributor but (besides only selling to companies, which can be circumvented) they have scrapped the Hakko from their line-up and replaced it with the clone CT936 which I will probably get.

I also contacted the German and French distributors. The Germans won't ship to Belgium. The French will, but then it will cost €129 + €36 = €165 = $226 for a Hakko 936. This is quite ridiculous as they can be had within the US for about $80-90 shipped.

I'll probably go for the CT936 as I can still take use from the various tips Hakko offers, but of course I also would prefer a free Weller of course

Oh that is bad to hear, living in Europe is pain sometimes at least when comparing prices on these kind of things.

Hope the CT936 is good
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah a freebie is always nice hehe

/Erik

Aug 12, 2007 at 2:44 PM Post #48 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by KerryKing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh that is bad to hear, living in Europe is pain sometimes at least when comparing prices on these kind of things.

Hope the CT936 is good
smily_headphones1.gif

well, I just heard from a friend with a business account that I'll be receiving the CT936 for €60 (shipped) later this week. He has over 25 years of experience in radio-DIY and he knows the station and says it is pretty good. So I guess everything will work out just fine for me

Within the Netherlands, you can get the CT936 as an end-user for €80 shipped from here and if you qualify for a business account (if you have a VAT-n°) you should check out Nedis (has lots of distribution points in Europe)

So for European DIY'ers, it looks like there is another option.

Aug 12, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #49 of 73
Got a Weller 25 Watt plug it in and let it heat up iron

Aug 12, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #50 of 73
Weller WESD51 Station w/ a PES51 iron

Aug 12, 2007 at 5:08 PM Post #51 of 73
a Hakko 936 has been on my list for a while, but I've been using a generic one I bought at Fry's a while ago.
This one
http://shop3.outpost.com/product/4825190
I just can't seem to find any other tips for it. I've managed though, even with some smd stuff.

Aug 14, 2007 at 2:45 AM Post #53 of 73
Second hand Hakko fm202

Aug 14, 2007 at 1:07 PM Post #54 of 73
hakko makes a great iron, not everything they make is too expensive, take a look online or even on ebay and you'll be plesantly suprised. they do make superior irons to most youd find in the stores. good luck in the hunt.

Aug 15, 2007 at 5:37 AM Post #56 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezkcdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my Hakko 936 tonight! So, next question...obviously...what temperature do you Hakko guys set (please specify C or F, so I don't get confused)?

Hi,

I am not sure if this is the best way to do it, but what I do is to check the recomended temperature for the solder I use and set the temperature in this intervall.

BTW i dont have a 936 but this should work with them also
wink.gif

/Erik

Aug 15, 2007 at 7:06 AM Post #57 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use a Weller WTCPn that i bought on eBay for about $40 shipped.

You kids can play with the knobs on your variable temperature irons to your heart's content, but 99% of my soldering is handled with aplomb by the 700f conical tip in my Weller pencil. The other 1% is done with a 600f tapered tip. One of these days I hope to find a need for my 800f wedge tip.

Ok, but if someone always wanted 700f, all they'd have to do is turn the knob and never touch it again.

Aug 15, 2007 at 7:10 AM Post #58 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by eightbitpotion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man, I went to Fry's today....checked out their line of hakkos....insane! I was an inch away from buying one, but I think I'm going to wait until I'm ready to drop about 100 bucks or so into one....if I'm going to get a good one, it can be a great one.

Has anyone ever used those vent sucker things for solder smoke? I normally wouldn't complain, but man this silver stuff is crazy if the temp is just a bit off. Thanks for the heads up on the hakkos though....it'll be my next brand.

I couldn't bring myself to spend the $ for a ventilator so I just wired a 12V DC computer fan to a 5VDC wall-wart (floats a little higher than 5V in use) and screwed the fan to a piece of 1x4 wood with a couple of L-brackets. I also use this for other things though like quick drying some non-related parts I paint or drying out electronic boards I wash.

Aug 15, 2007 at 7:12 AM Post #59 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshatdot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I plan on replacing my Rat Shack 15watt soon with either a Hakko Dash 15 watt or 20watt. Whats a good iron holder, the white Hakko one with the metal stuff or the yellow sponge?
kote633-01.jpg
kote633-02.jpg

The brass brillo-pad-like metal stuff is better. A cold wet sponge can fracture a hot tip, and if you ever need a wet sponge how hard is a wet sponge to come by?

Aug 15, 2007 at 8:06 AM Post #60 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by hardnrg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use a Maplin N78AR. I don't know the actual manufacturer of the iron but it looks like this:

n78arnewtp7.jpg

this is the stock tip (yes, dirty and not tinned lol, but I'm too lazy to take a new pic)

00bsolderingiron4rp.jpg

I've had it for years now and have used it to replace op-amps, carry out volt-mods on graphics cards (requires soldering wires to the sides of SMD resistors and to legs of fine pitched ICs), making my own interconnects and other cables...

Cost me like £8 because I got staff discount heh. But right now in the UK they are on sale for £9.99... I'm sure you could find this iron in the States for a decent price. It's 50W variable and the stock tip is very versatile (I bought the 3 other tips it can take and haven't used them!)

The manufacturer is "ZD". I used to know what "ZD" stood for (it's not Ziff Davis), the oriental manufacturer's name. If you search long enough through my headfi posts you will find the link I made to their homepage. Ok, Google to the rescue, they found my post for me.

http://www.china-zhongdi.com/zd-98.htm

If you start to suspect that they make most if not all weller's products after looking over their website, I'd tend to agree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back