Which iron do you use?
Jul 4, 2007 at 6:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 73

eightbitpotion

500+ Head-Fier
So ...the name says it all. I bought a cheapo RS iron to see if I liked this stuff...and I do very much. So, I'm in the market for a NEW iron, but I'm not sure which one. I need super fine tips if I can, but also a mid-sized one.... I don't want anything too crazy. I was looking at butane irons, but wasn't sure how consistent they are....any thoughts on these?

What do YOU use, and do you prefer it over any other iron?

Jul 4, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #4 of 73
I use a 15w iron from conrad, a popular german electric/electronic distributor. came in a nice kit with a desolder pump and some solder, for about 16$

I have not much to compare to, but it's sure nicer than that 75w iron with the broken tip I had before. and that fluxless solder sure was a pain to solder
rolleyes.gif

edit: considering fitzs post... also stay away from those battery powered induction irons...

Jul 4, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #5 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by balou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
edit: considering fitzs post... also stay away from those battery powered induction irons...

Are you referring to the "cold heat" irons? (induction soldering is a completely different thing)

Those things are the biggest joke around, they aren't even soldering irons, more like really bad spot welders.

Jul 4, 2007 at 7:16 PM Post #7 of 73
fitz: yep, forgot the name. and they do work on the principle of induction, but as it seems on a subpar level. after just a few solder joints, the tip's gonna erode like mad. well, that is if you can get a contact at all

Jul 4, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #9 of 73
I use a radio shack, 40W. It works for everything I do!

Jul 4, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #10 of 73
I use the radio shack $7.99 15w grounded iron... yeah I know I need one of the hakko irons but a pricey iron is low on the priority list right now and I am strapped for cash as is.

Jul 4, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #11 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by balou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
fitz: yep, forgot the name. and they do work on the principle of induction, but as it seems on a subpar level. after just a few solder joints, the tip's gonna erode like mad. well, that is if you can get a contact at all

Induction soldering involves no direct contact with the objects being soldered (instead using a high-freq AC field). My understanding of the coldheat iron is that it just shorts out the batteries against whatever you're trying to solder.

Jul 4, 2007 at 8:08 PM Post #12 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use the radio shack $7.99 15w grounded iron... yeah I know I need one of the hakko irons but a pricey iron is low on the priority list right now and I am strapped for cash as is.

It's more convenience and ease of use than anything else. I have a cheap Philips ECG iron I used for a long time before I got the Hakko 936. The main driving force for me to upgrade was so I wouldn't have to keep replacing the tips all the time.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back