Which IEMs do you use on the go?
Jan 27, 2015 at 3:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Stuff Jones

1000+ Head-Fier
Wondering what IEMs people here use when they're walking around, commuting or travelling. For those uses, isolation and fit, as well as durability and/or low cost might take precedence over sound quality up to a point. 

Most recently I've been using the TDK IE800 out and about. Its not durable, but it was certainly cheap enough. 

Jan 27, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #3 of 17
TF10 Custom - SE846  - sometimes I close my eyes and reach in the box....

I still take my JH16s when I'm flying.....

Jan 28, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #4 of 17
Ortofon eQ-5.

For this application, you'll be hard pressed to find a better IEM for the money:
- Amazing build quality
- Accurate, balanced sound signature
- Comfortable to wear
- Easy to quickly insert/remove
- Great isolation 
- Low microphonics with supple yet strong cable
- $198 (new), but can likely be found for less

IMO, they rival most IEMs in the $300-$500 range, but with substantially better build quality and ease of use. You don't have to fiddle with it for the perfect fit -- just plug n' play, so to speak. I always find myself reaching for these IEMs because they're so convenient and yet still sound great.  

Jan 28, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #5 of 17
currently.. Xiaomi Piston

coming soon.. Cypher Labs C6iem

Jan 28, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #9 of 17
  I personally love the Ety hf5 for normal use.

The isolation and sound quality is awesome but not sure what your definition of low cost is?

Sorry, I just meant that you probably look for either good build quality or low cost in an IEM that you wear out and about. No one wants to risk an expensive, poorly made IEM.

Jan 29, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #10 of 17
Yeah I get you! 

I think spending just over 100 bucks isn't too bad for really good quality IEMs like the ones made by Etymotic. Personally I feel like I'm sacrificing build quality if I go lower.

Do you guys know any reasonably priced IEMs that impressed you?

Jan 30, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #11 of 17
I've owned 3 pairs of Ety HFs and loved them, but I am rough on them and they've all broken.   They've all lasted about 1.5 years.

I am on HifiMan Re-400 now and Pioneer DJE 1500s.     If you like the sound of the Etys then I would say that the HifiMans for the price are amazing.  

Looking at  RHA MA750s too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back