Which IEM resembles that of the beloved AKG K701???
Mar 27, 2010 at 3:30 AM Post #31 of 51
One more question... how does the ATH CK10 fares with amplification ?

I search through head-fi and many said they were very easy to drive;
however, I wanted to know how much improvements you'd get for amping the thingie?

Any 'perfect combo' results?

smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 27, 2010 at 6:07 AM Post #32 of 51
I remember trying them with the micro amp and the results weren't good.transparency was lost and it became warm sounding but the bass was stronger.

Mar 27, 2010 at 6:11 AM Post #33 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember trying them with the micro amp and the results weren't good.transparency was lost and it became warm sounding but the bass was stronger.

That's actually a good thing to hear ( for my wallet at least :p )

ps. just saw your sig, how does the FX500 compares to the CK10? I placed an order for one of them too (just for sheer desirability of woods), shall I cancel it?

Mar 27, 2010 at 10:50 AM Post #34 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by petemt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One more question... how does the ATH CK10 fares with amplification ?

I search through head-fi and many said they were very easy to drive;
however, I wanted to know how much improvements you'd get for amping the thingie?

Any 'perfect combo' results?

smily_headphones1.gif

Because the CK 10s are efficient you don't need an amp to power them. I have listened to them with a variety of amps, and I find they are very neutral and tend to sound somewhat different with each amp, taking on the characteristics of the amp to some extent, or at least how they match up with it. So, if you like the sound quality of whatever your source is, you will most likely enjoy how it sounds with the CK 10s. Personally, I use the Amp 3 with mine, but other amps also sound good with the CK 10s also, or right from the Ipod sounds fine, if you like the Ipod output.

Mar 27, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #35 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by vorlon1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because the CK 10s are efficient you don't need an amp to power them. I have listened to them with a variety of amps, and I find they are very neutral and tend to sound somewhat different with each amp, taking on the characteristics of the amp to some extent, or at least how they match up with it. So, if you like the sound quality of whatever your source is, you will most likely enjoy how it sounds with the CK 10s. Personally, I use the Amp 3 with mine, but other amps also sound good with the CK 10s also, or right from the Ipod sounds fine, if you like the Ipod output.

Thanks!! The only portable amp I've got is the nuforce icon mobile, which as I've said, the difference during commutes are minimal.... barely noticeable even. Although the icon mobile is already pretty darn small, I hated the extra bulk added to my iphone 3g

'straight-through' is the way !

Mar 28, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #37 of 51
It is out of your stated price range, but the IE8s have a wide soundstage like the 701s, more bass, and I find their sound signature warmer than my 701s, overall, but not as warm as HD650s, for example. Someone who owns both of these plus knows several of the IEMs in your price range, I would think would be able to give you good advice, i.e liking a similar sound.

Mar 28, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #38 of 51
i would not suggest you amp the ck10 with the icon mobile if thats what you get. i would imagine bad synergy there since bright amp with a treble focused iem ;p

Mar 28, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #39 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i would not suggest you amp the ck10 with the icon mobile if thats what you get. i would imagine bad synergy there since bright amp with a treble focused iem ;p

I tried using iphone 3G + icon mobile + er4p = unlistenable !
Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too bright!

Btw, so the IE8? Really? That's surprising to hear.
No offense but I thought that it's one of the exact opposite ( I never audition it ). Maybe it's just me associating it with stereotypical 'dark' nature of the Senns.

And also, I've decided to increase my budget to around $400 (the SE530/UM3X/W3/IE8 price range)

I'm going to sell my E500 to fund this!

Mar 28, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #40 of 51
Quote:

That's actually a good thing to hear ( for my wallet at least :p )

ps. just saw your sig, how does the FX500 compares to the CK10? I placed an order for one of them too (just for sheer desirability of woods), shall I cancel it?

wow,unexpected move
biggrin.gif
.i suggest you wait for your fx500 before getting the ck10,the fx500 also resembles the k701 in transparency,detail,somewhat hot treble and vocals.soundstage is a little bit less than the ck10 in widness but the depth is excellent.
However,if you dont like much bass then by all means cancel your order,the fx500 bass is fantastic,extremly tight and well controlled with excellent visceral impact and reverbation.Its quantity is much much larger than that of the k701 or the ck10 for that matter.But i have a feeling you will like them if you like the k701 and want more bass.
Quote:

I tried using iphone 3G + icon mobile + er4p = unlistenable !
Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too bright!

Btw, so the IE8? Really? That's surprising to hear.
No offense but I thought that it's one of the exact opposite ( I never audition it ). Maybe it's just me associating it with stereotypical 'dark' nature of the Senns.

And also, I've decided to increase my budget to around $400 (the SE530/UM3X/W3/IE8 price range)

I'm going to sell my E500 to fund this!

The ie8 is COMPLETELY....COMPLETELY opposite to the k701 sound.if you like bright sound with transparncy and crystal clear presentation with lots of treble,then the ie8 will shatter your dream.Anyone that is suggesting the ie8 in your situation is joking or never heard the k701.sennheiser house sound has no relation or resembelance whatsoever with the akg sound.

Mar 28, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #42 of 51
Edit:I thought you recomended the ie8 for the OP,your post is not clear.
Also the ie8 is definetly warmer than hd650,much warmer and darker.
.can you elaborate what you meant by your earlier post ?I don't understand it entirely.you have the k701,hd650 and ie8 and you recommend the op to ask someone with similar iems in the price range?

Edit again:I understand it now,but I still think it wasn't very clear,maybe because English is my second language.Anyway,I misunderstood what you meant earlier I apologise.

Mar 28, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #43 of 51
That's o.k. My point about the K701 was just that someone trying to help the OP, who loves his K701s, needs to be very familiar with them. I used the IE8s as an IEM benchmark for the K701s in terms of their big soundstage. I didn't mean to imply that the IE8s sound signature was the same as the K701s, as I agree that they are not even close.

Mar 29, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #44 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridleyguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's o.k. My point about the K701 was just that someone trying to help the OP, who loves his K701s, needs to be very familiar with them. I used the IE8s as an IEM benchmark for the K701s in terms of their big soundstage. I didn't mean to imply that the IE8s sound signature was the same as the K701s, as I agree that they are not even close.

Thanks for elaborating! I agree with your point on 'familiarity'; IEM cannot be so easily compared to a fullsize... same same,but different.
bigsmile_face.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990
wow,unexpected move.i suggest you wait for your fx500 before getting the ck10,the fx500 also resembles the k701 in transparency,detail,somewhat hot treble and vocals.soundstage is a little bit less than the ck10 in widness but the depth is excellent.
However,if you dont like much bass then by all means cancel your order,the fx500 bass is fantastic,extremly tight and well controlled with excellent visceral impact and reverbation.Its quantity is much much larger than that of the k701 or the ck10 for that matter.But i have a feeling you will like them if you like the k701 and want more bass.

^ I'm not sure that's how you guys 'double quote'... so I just went ahead and copy your post and click the 'quote box' for midoo1990's post.

I shouldn't have said that about the fx500... I should have stopped posting when I set my heart right on the CK10!
tongue.gif
I'm probably one of the most easily swayed member here on the forum :p

I love bass, but not so much as the details, transparency, openness etc. I too found the K701 and ER4P to be inadequate in bass, but for me it is a better tradeoff than having a boomy bass like my Denon C751. Also, now that the K701 is paired with my tube amp and running the Mullard tubes, the bass are really at the 'sweet spot' for me... these half a century old tubes seems to do the magic! The sound are delivered with more brawn, richness and sweetness... I know many has a lot better headphone/rig combination out there, but this is where I'm stopping with my K701 for now, my 'eargasm' as they seems to call it LOL. Maybe a cable upgrade on the system as my 17th bday would be nice :"))))))))

Mar 29, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #45 of 51

Users who are viewing this thread

Back