Which IEM resembles that of the beloved AKG K701???
Mar 25, 2010 at 3:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

petemt

New Head-Fier
Greetings from Thailand!
This is my first post here in head-fi
smily_headphones1.gif

I used to love IEMs, but one day I took the bait and go for the AKG K701 and falls in love... now I'm using it with the HA-1 tube amp; it's running a pair Mullard's E182CC and a Telefunken' tube ( forgot the model no.)

So here's my current setup:

MACBOOK PRO> CARAT RUBY DAC> HA1 >AKG K701

I love the K701 combo I've got... everything I wanted the ER4P to be like. It is airy and full of details, yet it have a rich, full bodied sound and have great, detailed bass.

However, I am having trouble finding a portable gear; I've been going through the IEM road via trial and error, among the ones I owned I like the ETYMOTIC ER4P the most. I also like the UE FI5PRO's sound, but the fit was so horrible I sold them. I also have SHURE E500 but it was too sibilant to my ear, WESTONE UM2 were unexpectedly great... but it was too 'dense'.

I love the ETYMOTIC ER4P because of it's sound signature, details and the airiness and especially it's sound isolation... I used them for my trip to school. However, with K701 in the family now I'm left wanting for MORE!

I wanted an ER4P with more bass, a bit richer in sound but not too warm..

I want an IEM that resembles the sound sig of my beloved AKG K701

My cousin is coming back from the US to visit us here in Thailand, so i'm finding something he could carry back for me hehe :p
Now my choice lies between the Phonak Audéo PFE OR Panasonic RP-HJE900 Zirconia??
My source is the iphone 3G, i used to have a nuforce icon mobile but the sq difference during commutes were too subtle and doesn't outweight the extra bulk, so I sold it.

Which one would resemble closer to the K701/ ER4P with more bass??
Help me decide please! Also, which one would give a better sound isolation?

Ps. are there any more great 'bang for bucks' gear over there in the US i missed out? :pP

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!

UPDATE: I've decided to increase my budget to around $400 (the SE530/UM3X/W3/IE8 price range)

Mar 25, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #3 of 51
Audio Technica CK10s sound quite similar to ER-4Ps, to me, with a bit more bass and much greater soundstage. I haven't heard K701s but the description seems to fit.

Mar 25, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #4 of 51
You might want to look Monster Turbine Copper, if mids are not super important about being forward there is also the UE Triple-fi 10, Senn IE7 might also work if you do want forward mids and more sound stage, IE8 might be to warm for you based on your comments although it will have the closest sound stage to your K701s.

Mar 25, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #5 of 51
I own the K701 and coincidenly listen to the PFE 112 on the go.

All I will say is that the PFE offers superb isolation with the correct tips and a sound quality v price to die for.

Mar 25, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #6 of 51
Thank you all,, maybe I should have set a budget limit of around $150 as my parents will see the bills for this purchase... they never know how much my system 'ACTUALLY' costs hahahaaaa

CK10 seems to fit the bill, but the cost is quite a stretch...
how does the CK9 compares in this perspective?
also, just asking, is the CK100 worth the jump?

the UE are out of question... I loved the sound ... but the fit was so bad. Maybe i'd buy them second hand here in Thailand just for the sake of auditioning.

Monster Copper and Senns costed too much this time around lol.

Appreciate all the comments so far!

Mar 25, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #7 of 51
Ck10 is what I like to call 'a mini version of k701'.very detailed,transparent,sharp clean treble like the k701 and nice mids and a tight bass.if you can save another $50 for them,you will not be dissapointed.Don't get dynamic driver iems because they will not have the qualities of k701(a.k.a transparency,sharp treble and detail.)

Mar 25, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #8 of 51
The Audeo PFEs sound very similar. Closer than the ER4S to my ears.

Mar 25, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #9 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ck10 is what I like to call 'a mini version of k701'.very detailed,transparent,sharp clean treble like the k701 and nice mids and a tight bass.if you can save another $50 for them,you will not be dissapointed.Don't get dynamic driver iems because they will not have the qualities of k701(a.k.a transparency,sharp treble and detail.)

This is like deja vu... I always want something 'moderately priced' and end up getting the best I can afford lol.

So...
Situation 1 (the 'moderately priced') : either a Phonak Audéo PFE OR Panasonic RP-HJE900 Zirconia ?... but then, the ATH CK9 is within the same price range!! Can't decide between the three
confused_face(1).gif

Situation 2: gun for the ck10? In this case, would the Ortofon eQ7/ ck100 make a better alternative?

I'm currently focusing on solving the Situation 1 first, as I stated my parents are not going to be happy seeing bills higher than $150... however all comments are appreciated!

BTW. anyone know where to get ck10 cheaps in the States online?

Thanks!

Mar 25, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #10 of 51
I don't think the CK100 is necessarily better than the CK10, just different. Also, I imagine if you had trouble with fit with the TF10 you would probably experience the same thing with the e-Q7.

Maybe keep an eye on the For Sale forum for CK10s
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 25, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #11 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcpk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think the CK100 is necessarily better than the CK10, just different. Also, I imagine if you had trouble with fit with the TF10 you would probably experience the same thing with the e-Q7.

Maybe keep an eye on the For Sale forum for CK10s
smily_headphones1.gif

Dammit.... my dreams for the Ortofon are shattered!
mad.gif

Mar 25, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #12 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcpk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Audio Technica CK10s sound quite similar to ER-4Ps, to me, with a bit more bass and much greater soundstage. I haven't heard K701s but the description seems to fit.

I strongly agree with this, but in additon the CK 10s are smoother and richer than 4Ps but still have excellent detail. I have 701s, 4Ps and CK10s, and I highly recommend the CK 10s if you like the 701s.

Mar 25, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #13 of 51
The Ortofon's aren't that bad for fit. I had much more issues with the TF10 than I did with the e-Q7. In order for me to even think about using the TF10 I had to flip mod the TF10. The only thing I did with the e-Q7 was put hybrids on them and they fit fine.

Mar 26, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #14 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by vorlon1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I strongly agree with this, but in additon the CK 10s are smoother and richer than 4Ps but still have excellent detail. I have 701s, 4Ps and CK10s, and I highly recommend the CK 10s if you like the 701s.

Aha! It seems like all bases are covered for situation 2.
smily_headphones1.gif

CK10's the way to go!!

Guess I don't need the PHONAK or the Panasonic HJE900 then? But just out of the curiosity, which of the two would better fit my needs?

I know I'm getting rather picky... but thank you everyone for the support so far!!

Mar 26, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #15 of 51
Okay,, I was researching through the forum and found the comparison between RE0 VS CK10... You guys agree?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No clear winner. Depending on tip they can sound near identical. RE0 with Sennheiser bi-flange and the CK10 with E2C black soft flex are indistinguishable. With the Head-Direct bi-flange they sound 95% the same. the stock CK10 tips have smaller openings so the soundstage takes a slight hit vs. The RE0 with stock bi-flange but the CK10 has a bit more bass punch. the tone and timbre are amazingly close. idoubt people could tell them apart or pick out which was armature and which was dynamic if they didn't already know.

from: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/h...8/#post5706334

If it is true that they sounded near identical, then it's a no brainer to choose the RE0... nearly 3 times cheaper!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back