Which high-end IEM should I get if I have a wide taste in music?
Jun 4, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #61 of 98

Quote:
From what I've been reading, shouldn't this be after you get used to the no sound signature?

Every IEM has a sound signature, with the SM3's focusing on neutrality and transparency.

Jun 4, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #62 of 98
What player would you guys recommend I use with my SM3s? I currently have a 16gb iPhone 3GS (loaded w/vlc4phone so I can play flac) and a 20gb 4th Gen iPod (rockboxed).

Should I get the Sansa Clip+, as well? I found a deal where I can get the 4gb Clip+ and a 16gb microsd for $50 total.

Is the SQ on the 4th gen iPod comparable to the iPhone 3GS & Sansa Clip+?

Jun 4, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #63 of 98
Young Spade: "Although there are NO prerfect phones, there are phones that do a plethora of things right and in some cases you will love everything about them...

"Of course this largely comes down to the genres of music that I listen to; mainly classical and acoustic, these phones excel in those regions and fill every demand those genres call for with room left over."

We differ here; I am an audio mongrel. My last half-hour: Hip-hop, Drum & Bass, Blues, Reggae, Classical, Metal, R&B. And the funk. And the classic jazz. And the bluegrass. And, and, and.

So some phones will handle, say, chamber music just fine, then the DnB track comes on with a string of sixteenth notes at 50hz, and the phones fall apart and I think, "Oh, no..."

And it's always something. Cymbals sound like frying grease. Fix that and the rap sounds like some kid's car stereo. Fix that and Johnny Cash's smooth baritone inexplicably sounds like a dental drill. And, and, and.

It's become a game, which track exposes the phones weakness. Organ pedal tone? Live performance with background chatter? Loud bells? Soft bells? Cannons? Got 'em all.

I admit this is a perverse way of listening to music and critiquing my phones. I am, however, a perverse man.

Jun 4, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #64 of 98
@OP: Congratulations on your purchase, but temper your expectations; early reviews tend to skew too positive.

Some of this is fanboys riding the bandwagons. Some of this is early adopters justifying the early-adopter price to themselves (or their wives). Some is just plain newness; the phones haven't had time to reveal a consistent weakness yet.

Like the old heads here tend to say: Trust your ears.

Jun 4, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #65 of 98
Your words of wisdom are much appreciated. Going to be hard to curb my enthusiasm, however
regular_smile .gif

Jun 4, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #67 of 98

Quote:
Young Spade: "Although there are NO prerfect phones, there are phones that do a plethora of things right and in some cases you will love everything about them...

"Of course this largely comes down to the genres of music that I listen to; mainly classical and acoustic, these phones excel in those regions and fill every demand those genres call for with room left over."

We differ here; I am an audio mongrel. My last half-hour: Hip-hop, Drum & Bass, Blues, Reggae, Classical, Metal, R&B. And the funk. And the classic jazz. And the bluegrass. And, and, and.

So some phones will handle, say, chamber music just fine, then the DnB track comes on with a string of sixteenth notes at 50hz, and the phones fall apart and I think, "Oh, no..."

And it's always something. Cymbals sound like frying grease. Fix that and the rap sounds like some kid's car stereo. Fix that and Johnny Cash's smooth baritone inexplicably sounds like a dental drill. And, and, and.

It's become a game, which track exposes the phones weakness. Organ pedal tone? Live performance with background chatter? Loud bells? Soft bells? Cannons? Got 'em all.

I admit this is a perverse way of listening to music and critiquing my phones. I am, however, a perverse man.

That does seem to be a problem for a lot of people when listening to different genres of music. IMO the best way to solve that is to get more than one pair of headphone :) Or you could get something neutral and use that with everything.... of course that might not be the most "enjoyable" way to listen to some music based on what you like but it is an option. 

Of course EQ is there for a reason :)

Quote:
Now I just need to figure out what player to use with these... hmmm.

s:flo2/T51? Zune HD? iMod? S9/J13? There are tons of great options out there right now :)

Jun 4, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #69 of 98
Not really as far as I know. I know they've never jumped out at me other than something to avoid... I would prefer to buy my DAP from a company that I trust knows what they are doing in the portable/mobile market, which I'm fairly confident Microsoft doesn't if Windows Mobile is any indicator.

Jun 13, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #72 of 98

Quote:
aw i just bought the mtpc! maybe i shouldve gone with the sm3

If this is your first high end IEM the Monster Turbine Pro Copper is going to sound very nice after they burn in so don't sweat your choice. I am listening to a pair as I type this and like them alot. Having said that I am considering selling some gear to gather enough dough to buy a pair of the SM3 just in case they are all that and a bag of chips LOL. But I have been fully bitten by the head-fi bug though :wink:.

Jun 13, 2010 at 8:48 AM Post #73 of 98
^^^ Agreed.  IMO, there's no reason to regret getting the MTPC's, though there still appear to be those who hate on them because they're made by Monster (which I actually kinda understand as I had a major anti-Monster bias myself).  I don't doubt the greatness of the SM3, but myself, I'm gonna wait until the X-Jays are in the wild before my next IEM purchase.

Jun 13, 2010 at 9:54 AM Post #74 of 98
Hmm, I have read through this all and am scratching my head somewhat about the comments on the IE8. I must admit with mine I do not hear muddy bass or a veil over the details.

I hear crisp cymbols, tight bass, great seperation of the idividual instruments and vocals in the soundstage, great detail (from hearing the vocalist move around the mike to hearing the drummers sticks hit the side of the drum in different positions) and more importantly I am finding that I am forgetting all of that and just getting lost in the music and emotion rather than listening for every minor detail (which, as I have mentioned I can as well if I try!) These phones really involve one in the performance and in the end surely that is the true mark of a great peice of audio, after all, every concert I have gone to is not about ultimate sonic resolution it is about becoming involved with the artist as they perform!

Jun 13, 2010 at 10:55 AM Post #75 of 98

Quote:
^^^ Agreed.  IMO, there's no reason to regret getting the MTPC's, though there still appear to be those who hate on them because they're made by Monster (which I actually kinda understand as I had a major anti-Monster bias myself).  I don't doubt the greatness of the SM3, but myself, I'm gonna wait until the X-Jays are in the wild before my next IEM purchase.

yea i dont like monster either because their stuff is usuallly not worth the price, but from what i read on the site, these were sup;pose to be pretty great. we'll see how long they stay around! they do look good though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back