Which high-end IEM should I get if I have a wide taste in music?
Jun 3, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #47 of 98
Plain and simple mate go for the SM3 because it really is the next step up in sound quality compared to all other iems. If you do decide to buy something else you will only wonder what the better iem is like and decide to sell then buy the SM3 anyway. Just my opinion. It really is amazing the sound you get out of them considering there size and light weight.

Jun 3, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #49 of 98

Quote:
Plain and simple mate go for the SM3 because it really is the next step up in sound quality compared to all other iems. If you do decide to buy something else you will only wonder what the better iem is like and decide to sell then buy the SM3 anyway. Just my opinion. It really is amazing the sound you get out of them considering there size and light weight.

This pretty much summarizes why I JUST ORDERED A PAIR OF EARSONICS SM3s !!!!!!!!!!!!!  Cant wait for these bad boys to arrive! Thanks everyone for your advice and knowledge.

Jun 3, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #50 of 98
Congrats!

Don't forget to let us know how they work out for you, how they compare to your friends JH-16's and all the other good stuff.

If you thought the choosing was hard, I'm sure the waiting will be even harder.

Jun 3, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #51 of 98
Congratulations, I too just ordered a pair of SM3's yesterday.  I heard so many good things about the SM3 I could not resist. I also own the Shure 530's and MPC these are also great IEM's!

Jun 3, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #52 of 98
Curious that the OP would say he likes JH-16 so much, but not consider JH-5.

As well as the lack of direct comparisons from those claiming SM3's superiority.

Jun 3, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #53 of 98
Between going to the audiologist and purchasing the phones outright, the JH-5s are just too expensive... I'll be able to compare the SM3s vs JH16s end of June when I'll get a chance to give em another whirl.

As for your comment, Andrew H.. I've read direct comparisons vs. the UM3Xs and the SM3s are supposedly better. The UM3Xs were the phones I was going to go with after reading UM3X comparisons w/other phones, but when I read comparisons of UM3X vs. SM3, I just had to go with these due to the small price difference and given their supposed superiority. Will let you know how they sound when I get em. Wish I could also compare these personally vs UM3X. It breaks my heart to own just one pair of IEMs - but I just cant afford/justify anymore.

Jun 3, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #54 of 98
after reading this and reviews about earsonic sm3.... im so tempt to buy it...

Jun 3, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #55 of 98

Quote:
Between going to the audiologist and purchasing the phones outright, the JH-5s are just too expensive...

I wonder what you were able to find? Impressions can be had for little or even free in many cases. So the price should be very comparable (based on my understanding that SM3 is over US$400 delivered.)

Quote:
I've read direct comparisons vs. the UM3Xs and the SM3s are supposedly better.

I'm talking about comparisons between SM3 and JH5, UE4, etc. I don't doubt that SM3 are very good, but I will certainly question others who are claiming they're the best, without even any direct comparisons to those major players?

Quote:
It breaks my heart to own just one pair of IEMs

Quality over quantity!

Jun 4, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #56 of 98

Quote:
 It breaks my heart to own just one pair of IEMs - but I just cant afford/justify anymore.

For me, once I heard the SM3, I knew all my other IEMs wouldn't get ear time, so I just sold them.  Different order, but same result!

Quote:
I wonder what you were able to find? Impressions can be had for little or even free in many cases. So the price should be very comparable (based on my understanding that SM3 is over US$400 delivered.)

I'm talking about comparisons between SM3 and JH5, UE4, etc. I don't doubt that SM3 are very good, but I will certainly question others who are claiming they're the best, without even any direct comparisons to those major players?

Current US price for the SM3 (based on exchange rate) is a little over $390 shipped.  And I paid over $425 for mine due to the exchange rate, and I think they are worth much more than that!  And my local audiologist cost $40 for impressions.

There is a JH13 vs. EM3 Pro comparison thread, and while the EM3 Pro is a custom and the SM3 is a universal that is $650 less in price, they share the sound signature of having no sound signature
wink_face.gif
  I don't know this first hand...yet.

All my SM3 comparisons are based on comparing to other top universal offerings, but I am sure over time there will be comparisons between customs.  shigzeo actually already has said a few words comparing the two.

Jun 4, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #57 of 98
There's nothing wrong with owning just one pair of earphones especially if they are very good ones which the SM3 seem to be according to those who do have it. That being said I like to keep at least one backup if it ever gets lost, stolen, damaged, etc.

Jun 4, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #58 of 98

Quote:

This pretty much summarizes why I JUST ORDERED A PAIR OF EARSONICS SM3s !!!!!!!!!!!!!  Cant wait for these bad boys to arrive! Thanks everyone for your advice and knowledge.

Congrats! Just remember to give them some time to settle their sound signature in your brain. They are amazing after you get used to the sound signature.

Jun 4, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #59 of 98

Quote:
Congrats! Just remember to give them some time to settle their sound signature in your brain. They are amazing after you get used to the sound signature.

From what I've been reading, shouldn't this be after you get used to the no sound signature?

Jun 4, 2010 at 8:57 AM Post #60 of 98
To the OP, the level of interest and praise for the SM3 reminds me very much of the reaction to the UM3X when it was released.  It was the first three-way crossover balanced armature universal earphone and it garnered high praise for its detail retrieval, instrument separation and neutral but slightly warm presentation.  

I eventually bought one having already owned the SE530 and the IE8.  I found that the UM3X did not live up to the hype and I quickly offloaded it.  I bought the TF10 almost on the rebound and it is still my favourite earphone to date.  Someone here, I think it might have been Pianist, described the TF10 as coloured but I can't agree with his assessment.  That's just not how I hear it.  Yet I know that he rates the SE530 very highly, however I regard it as too mid-centric and therefore not balanced in its presentation.  It also has a slight roll-off in the higher frequencies, which in my opinion is a notable flaw in its sound signature.  Having said that, I'd take the SE530 over the UM3X any day.  So there's two examples of the subjective nature of the opinions that you are seeking and receiving here. 

Unless you're in a hurry, I suggest that you take the time to do some research into the phones that interest you.  However, the only way that you can really know which phone is right for you is by auditioning it and as someone else here has already said, that often isn't possible. You usually have to buy before you try and that makes this exercise an audio lottery of sorts. But as someone else here said, when you are considering purchasing any of the high-end earphones that you have listed, it really is a matter of personal preference rather than which, is best.  There is no best, just a different sonic flavour.  

Like you, I originally came here looking for one high-end earphone that would do it all and I don't think that my search has ended.  I wish you luck with yours. 

EDIT:  Oops, I just realised that you have already ordered the SM3's.  I hope your search has ended as quickly as it begun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back