Which high-end IEM should I get if I have a wide taste in music?
Jun 13, 2010 at 10:56 AM Post #76 of 98
Quote:
Hmm, I have read through this all and am scratching my head somewhat about the comments on the IE8. I must admit with mine I do not hear muddy bass or a veil over the details.

I hear crisp cymbols, tight bass, great seperation of the idividual instruments and vocals in the soundstage, great detail (from hearing the vocalist move around the mike to hearing the drummers sticks hit the side of the drum in different positions) and more importantly I am finding that I am forgetting all of that and just getting lost in the music and emotion rather than listening for ever minor detail (which, as I have mentioned I can as well if I try!) These phones really involve one in the performance and in the end surely that is the true mark of a great peice of audio, after all, every concert I have gone to is not about ultimate sonic resolution it is about becoming involved with the artist as they perform!

I know where you are coming from, but it is perception.  If you only had, say the NE-7, you may think those are great and if someone said they aren't all that good, you would question it.  That was my first 'head-fi' purchase.  I owned the IE8 and loved them for quite a long time.  My perspective changed as I got other IEMs, and now my perspective has again been changed, this time dramatically, by the SM3.  The IE8 is very good, but there are IEMs with better clarity, bass, etc.  Well, better everything if you want to upgrade!

Jun 13, 2010 at 11:00 AM Post #77 of 98
I absolutely agree. A friend of mine owned the IE8 but never heard the veil on the IE8 until he got the CK10 to compare it to and then he heard the veil. It's all about perspective

Jun 13, 2010 at 11:02 AM Post #78 of 98

Quote:
I know where you are coming from, but it is perception.  If you only had, say the NE-7, you may think those are great and if someone said they aren't all that good, you would question it.  That was my first 'head-fi' purchase.  I owned the IE8 and loved them for quite a long time.  My perspective changed as I got other IEMs, and now my perspective has again been changed, this time dramatically, by the SM3.  The IE8 is very good, but there are IEMs with better clarity, bass, etc.  Well, better everything if you want to upgrade!

Arghh, no! I have sort of semi decided to not go down the experimenting route and instead save for the big one and go for the new JH-3A after I have seen some in depth reviews later in the year. Until then the ie8's will suffice and if I want even more detail then the 701's will do or the stax for that extra bit of shazam!!

Sometimes I think this forum is like the scene from Monty python and the holy grail, the French taunter!!

I know what you mean though. Back in the old days I thought my rega deck was great, then I got a mitchel, then a pink triangle and on and on it went ..!

Jun 13, 2010 at 1:37 PM Post #79 of 98
For those not caught in the horrible web of obsession over the sound of their music... YET! When your new high end IEM arrives and your caught in the Oh MY this sounds gooooood. Run from head-fi as fast as you can, delete all shortcuts to it from your browser and simply enjoy your new found love of music.
dt880smile.png
 Then when that pair breaks come back and get a shiny new ear toy.

For those already caught... well as the saying around here goes, SORRY ABOUT YOUR WALLET.
devil_face.gif

Jun 13, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #80 of 98
Haha! When I first came here, I found this saying funny, but never questionned its fundaments. Now, I got it! Geeze, this is the place where I have been the most tempted since a very very long time!
And I must say I love it^^ Just wish I had more cash to spend :wink:
Thanks guys for all your wise advice and your wisdom. Because if I did not know Head-Fi, I am sure I would have spent my money on something less fun or useless!

Jun 13, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #81 of 98
I have to say that even with nothing to compare them to the IE8's bass hump annoys the hell out of me. It will be interesting to compare when I can afford another high end IEM. As for the Earsonics, I do not believe that anything is perfect. What would anyone say are their flaws?

Jun 13, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #85 of 98
The JH13,JH10, etc universal demos? :p I think enough trustworthy head-fi members have said that these are good phones and pretty up there in universal world

Jun 13, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #86 of 98
You'll definitely want a better source device.  You seem like your computer will be a major source, so I suggest getting a good amp with built in DAC.  This will give you a clean source and without static and a good amount of amperage to drive the SM3 and any other earphone you plan on using.  A suggest is Practical Devices XM5 which offers excellent sound, a lot of flexibility, and is well priced.  You can even purchase the upgrade parts for it through digikey.

Jun 13, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #88 of 98

Quote:
I was talking about commercially available universals, but if the JH13's and JH10's as universals are commercially available, that does change things!

nope, that are not available as universals. they only have weird universal versions to demo their products at meets, and at their shop i would assume, and at the distributers around the world. you cant actually purchase them that way.

Jun 13, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #89 of 98

Quote:
I was talking about commercially available universals, but if the JH13's and JH10's as universals are commercially available, that does change things!

I thought it was obvious that I wasn't serious but I guess not. Whether it is best or not I don't know but it does seem to be high up in universals. I won't say if it's best until I get to try it which won't be anytime soon if ever. I meant more than it seems to be high up so probably hard to find a universal that would be a clear downgrade when going to them.

Jun 13, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #90 of 98
Quote:

nope, that are not available as universals. they only have weird universal versions to demo their products at meets, and at their shop i would assume, and at the distributers around the world. you cant actually purchase them that way.

And I wonder why not.  If those universals really sound that good (I thought the UE11 universal sounded amazing, but I didn't get a good seal with the JH13 universal), why not?  I guess for the prices they are charging, the manufacturers want to make sure that the sound is not affected negatively by tips.

Quote:
I thought it was obvious that I wasn't serious but I guess not. Whether it is best or not I don't know but it does seem to be high up in universals. I won't say if it's best until I get to try it which won't be anytime soon if ever. I meant more than it seems to be high up so probably hard to find a universal that would be a clear downgrade when going to them.

Sorry, didn't catch that.  Maybe you will be able to hear the SM3 some day at a mini-meet with search or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back