Which high end dynamic headphones?
Dec 12, 2009 at 9:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

c3p0

100+ Head-Fier
I will buying a set of high end dynamic headphones in a weeks time.

Which do headfiers rate the best out the

PS1000 grado
GS1000i grado
SENN HD800

I am in favour of the sennheiser at the moment.

(laptop to qbd76 to graham slee solo psu1.)

Dec 12, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by c3p0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will buying a set of high end dynamic headphones in a weeks time.

Which do headfiers rate the best out the

PS1000 grado
GS1000i grado
SENN HD800 grado

I am in favour of the sennheiser at the moment.

(laptop to qbd76 to graham slee solo psu1.)

You may be comparing apples, oranges, and figs. It all depends on your taste(s). Figgers will like the fig.

If your taste in music is wide ranging, then you may end up liking each for specific kinds of music.

Dec 12, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #4 of 16
SENN HD800 grado
14.gif

personally love this among the others in your list

Dec 13, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #7 of 16
I have the GS1000, not the GS1000i, but I give you this advice: do not buy it until you listen to it. There is a peak in the high frequencies that you might love, or it might drive you batty.

From what I heard at two meets, although the listening time was not quite enough to make me 100% sure, I would say HD800 from the list you presented. I was listening to female vocalists.

Dec 13, 2009 at 11:18 AM Post #8 of 16
Of those I would clearly have picked the Sennheiser HD800.
In the ideal world you should audition all of them and pick your own favorite among them, but that may not be possible.

Dec 13, 2009 at 11:22 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the GS1000, not the GS1000i, but I give you this advice: do not buy it until you listen to it. There is a peak in the high frequencies that you might love, or it might drive you batty.

From what I heard at two meets, although the listening time was not quite enough to make me 100% sure, I would say HD800 from the list you presented. I was listening to female vocalists.

Surely you should listen to all of them before you buy, since these are in the $1000+ area. I've not heard the GS/PS1000 but I have heard the HD800 and I definitely liked them
smily_headphones1.gif
Don't just read reviews and impressions from other people. Yes they give you the overall idea of them, but you need to listen to them. I once read on here that if you listened to rock and pop, don't get the HD800 and go get something else that suits them. I completely disagreed with this because I actually enjoyed rock and pop on the HD800s. Everyone's ears are different.

Dec 13, 2009 at 11:34 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Surely you should listen to all of them before you buy, since these are in the $1000+ area. I've not heard the GS/PS1000 but I have heard the HD800 and I definitely liked them
smily_headphones1.gif
Don't just read reviews and impressions from other people. Yes they give you the overall idea of them, but you need to listen to them. I once read on here that if you listened to rock and pop, don't get the HD800 and go get something else that suits them. I completely disagreed with this because I actually enjoyed rock and pop on the HD800s. Everyone's ears are different.

I'm not able to audition cans from where I am. Head-fi quality cans just aren't sold in my country. What I personally do is read reviews that cover the sound quality characteristics. I usually ignore comments about what sort of music goes well with a particular can. I agree with you that it's peskily subjective. For instance, I keep reading that Grados are rock cans while for me, it's one genre that I don't particularly like listening to with Grados.

I bought my Edition 8's based on reviews that consistently mentioned characteristics that interested me. I have no regrets.

Dec 13, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #11 of 16
Pick up the HD800. Truly awesome cans. The PS1000 is very nice too, but I prefer the Sennheisers for sure. I couldn't stand the GS1000 the one time I heard them.

Dec 13, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #12 of 16
Of your options the hd800 are by far better cans than the grado's. If you are patient I would wait for the T1's.....

Dec 13, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #13 of 16
Thanks for your replies.

I will be able to audition all three as well as Ed8's as well.

I was surprised the hd800s were available to purchase. Very hard to find where I am!

Jul 10, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #14 of 16
HD800s - owned for 2 years. Detailed effortless airy sound with treble sparkle
PS1000s - auditioned twice for poss 10 minutes in total - instant impression was I didn't like them - congested sound with a peak in the treble and felt loose on my rather small head
GS1000is - never auditioned them

HAve fun with your listening and make sure you tell us of your adventures as everyone's impressions are worth reading. It took me an hour to gett he feel of the HD800s - at first they sounded awful

Jul 10, 2015 at 1:11 AM Post #15 of 16
HD800s - owned for 2 years. Detailed effortless airy sound with treble sparkle
PS1000s - auditioned twice for poss 10 minutes in total - instant impression was I didn't like them - congested sound with a peak in the treble and felt loose on my rather small head
GS1000is - never auditioned them

HAve fun with your listening and make sure you tell us of your adventures as everyone's impressions are worth reading. It took me an hour to gett he feel of the HD800s - at first they sounded awful
Back to the future!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back