which headphones to buy
Dec 15, 2012 at 2:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

nouveau riche

New Head-Fier
hi... i am new to this place.

i want to buy a headphones and my price range is $100. also i live in India so I cannot go for European brands. I am a bass head, i enjoy bass but that does not mean that I would love to destroy the sound quality just because of heavy bass. in short, i need the headphones that has the bass and still admired by an audiophile.

from my research i found Sennheiser HD 419,429,439 to be better options. I also like ATH ws55 , but i doubt if i should buy them in India.

also is Sony XB series really better against sennheiser or ATH?

coming to in ear, i have new radius atomic bass 2 in the list...but that would be the last thing i want

please help me decide what is the best option available within my constraints. 

Dec 15, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #2 of 8
Well, since you're a bass head, don't expect to be wowed by Sennheiser brands. Sennheiser is known to be more balanced in its sound signature, and they really don't have any single set of headphones that I can think of that cater to bass heads. Plus, with $100, you're going to get some pretty crappy sounding Sennheisers haha. Not to say you can't get good sounding headphones for that, but Sennheiser is more top of the line. The ATH WS55s are known to be extremely uncomfortable and by some reviews, their bass isn't that good either. For $100, really the best I could recommend to you is the Sony MDR-XB700s. I'm pretty sure you can find a retailer in Japan that will ship to India. In my opinion, for your uses and your price range, the XB line would probably be the best. Note that I didn't say they ARE the best, but for you, they probably would be. The 700s have very punchy bass, and from my trained ear, they aren't terribly bad. The step above them, the 1000s, were just absolutely awful, but the 700s are great for when I'm having that craving for bass.

I think you might be confusing audiophile headphones with bass head headphones. They are two different things. Bass head headphones are generally not considered to be audiophile because they put more emphasis on bass (obviously). Audiophile headphones are generally more flat across the sound spectrum and don't really put any emphasis on any portion of it. Sennheiser makes audiophile headphones, not bass head headphones.

If you really want to get some great quality headsets though, you can save up your budget for $200 and get the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros. Honestly those have got to be some of the best sounding portable headphones out there. And the great thing about them is that you can choose what kind of bass you want on them. They have adjustable ports on the speakers that allow for different sound signatures. But of course it's your money so do what you please.

Dec 15, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:
I want to buy a headphones and my price range is $100. also i live in India so I cannot go for European brands. I am a bass head, i enjoy bass but that does not mean that I would love to destroy the sound quality just because of heavy bass. in short, i need the headphones that has the bass and still admired by an audiophile.
from my research i found Sennheiser HD 419,429,439 to be better options. I also like ATH ws55 , but i doubt if i should buy them in India.
also is Sony XB series really better against Sennheiser or ATH?
coming to in ear, i have new radius atomic bass 2 in the list...but that would be the last thing i want
please help me decide what is the best option available within my constraints. 

Takstar Pro 80 (Gemini HSR-1000) closed headphones, sells and ships from eBay for $88.
Fairly decent bass, they are 60-Ohm, so should work plugged into just about any headphone jack.

Dec 15, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
Well, since you're a bass head, don't expect to be wowed by Sennheiser brands. Sennheiser is known to be more balanced in its sound signature, and they really don't have any single set of headphones that I can think of that cater to bass heads. Plus, with $100, you're going to get some pretty crappy sounding Sennheisers haha. Not to say you can't get good sounding headphones for that, but Sennheiser is more top of the line. The ATH WS55s are known to be extremely uncomfortable and by some reviews, their bass isn't that good either. For $100, really the best I could recommend to you is the Sony MDR-XB700s. I'm pretty sure you can find a retailer in Japan that will ship to India. In my opinion, for your uses and your price range, the XB line would probably be the best. Note that I didn't say they ARE the best, but for you, they probably would be. The 700s have very punchy bass, and from my trained ear, they aren't terribly bad. The step above them, the 1000s, were just absolutely awful, but the 700s are great for when I'm having that craving for bass.

I think you might be confusing audiophile headphones with bass head headphones. They are two different things. Bass head headphones are generally not considered to be audiophile because they put more emphasis on bass (obviously). Audiophile headphones are generally more flat across the sound spectrum and don't really put any emphasis on any portion of it. Sennheiser makes audiophile headphones, not bass head headphones.

If you really want to get some great quality headsets though, you can save up your budget for $200 and get the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros. Honestly those have got to be some of the best sounding portable headphones out there. And the great thing about them is that you can choose what kind of bass you want on them. They have adjustable ports on the speakers that allow for different sound signatures. But of course it's your money so do what you please.

from the reviews , i found that people classify the bass of HD 429 as good..ans they do not spoil the sound quality

Dec 15, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #7 of 8
htf 600 are a good choice... cheap and good... there is also creative aurvana live which is quite good... the xb series is only for pure skull shaking and i wouldn't recommend it unless you only want earth shattering bass(although you can eq them for a good sound)... if you can afford slightly more than the ultrasone hfi580 are very good... there is also jvc rx 700 which is one hell of a headphone when you look at the price...

Dec 15, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #8 of 8
if anyone could seriously answer about sennheiser HD 439?

as i said i like to have bass, but i still don't want to destroy the sound quality. i have heard people saying 439 better in terms of bass quality and the overall response.

what do you think about the 439 with an amp?

Also if in case they have less bass, can you suggest an bass booster portable amps for the senn 439, the amp must be compatible with nearly any phone and must be less than $20 ?

please help 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back