Which Headphones should I look into next?
Apr 1, 2013 at 1:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

papabear31289

New Head-Fier

Greeting Everybody!

First of all, I am a new Member of Head-Fi, but have been lurking for sometime.  There is huge amount of extremely helpful information (unfortunately mixed in with an equal amount of useless/misguided information) that has helped me appreciate my music more than ever before. So I'd like to thank the contributors that provide first-hand, unbiased information for making this community as great as it is. 

Before I jump in and ask you all to help get me pointed in the right direction, I feel it might be useful to know more about my (extremely brief) history of higher quality audio.
I started out how I assume most people start out with cheap ear buds that come with mp3 players or smart phones and thought that was pretty much all headphones had to offer.  Then one day I decided that I wanted to see if there was more out there, and as a poor high-schooler I wanted to find some cheap, good sounding headphones.  I did a very small amount of research and bought a pair of Sennheiser HD201's. If I am being honest, I was relatively disappointed with them.  They had decent reviews, and I figured spending $20, they would at least sound better than my free ear buds.  But that was before I realized what good audio quality was. I was unable to get them to an acceptable volume for my tastes out of my computer and didn't use them after that.  Then after awhile, I became an owner of some Sony XB500's. When I first got them, I thought they were amazing, and thought they sounded much better than the all the Beats headphones I had heard, and I paid 1/4 the price. After owning the Sony's for some time, I decided that I wanted to upgrade.  When I was researching what to get, I remembered all of the glowing reviews for Grado Headphones that I had seen way back when I was first starting my journey with the HD201's. Not really knowing anything about sound signatures, musical preferences, source quality, etc.  I jumped on some Grado SR80i's.  I was nervous that I wouldn't like them as I thought I might be a bit of a Basshead due to how much I liked the XB500s, and at $100, it was the most I had ever spent on headphones.  Well when I got them, I loved them.  The only way I could describe them before was that they were so much clearer sounding and more detailed than anything I had heard before.  And that was when I was really bitten by the upgrade bug. Since then (not very long ago) I bought a cheap Fiio E6, then a pair of Audio-Technica AD900x's, and most recently, the Schiit Modi and Magni.

And that's where I am now.  I am really happy with my AD900x/Schiit Stack set-up right now, somewhere between Low-fi and Mid-fi I believe. Although I am happy with my current setup, I can't help but feel that I haven't found the "perfect" set up I'm looking for. I have only had very limited first hand experience with different headphones and have only read about all the different characteristics of many other headphones here on Head-Fi.  So far, the only headphones that I have actually heard and are worth noting are the Sony XB500, Grado SR80i, Audio-Technica AD900x, and the Beyerdynamic DT880 (250 Ohm).  Ever since I got my Grado's, I found the Sony's to be overly bass heavy and almost unpleasant to listen to.  I really like way that Grado's almost make you feel like you are in the room with artist.  When I got my Audio Technicha AD900x's, I wasn't exactly sure if I liked them more than my Grado's or if it was more like a side-grade.  However, either my ears adjusted or these headphones actually do benefit from burn in, I undoubtedly feel that they are overall superior to the Grado SR80i.  A friend of mine just recently purchased the Beyerdynamic DT880's and I only had a brief listening session with them.  I would say that compared directly to the AD900x, that the DT880's had a slight V-shape that I enjoyed.  I felt that the soundstage was much wider on the AD900x, but not as well defined.  However overall I preferred my Audio Technica's once have had EQ'ed down the Mids just a tiny bit.  Now, using Foobar with a completely Flat EQ, I feel that the Mids on the AD900X are too far forward for my liking.  And now I am bit confused on exactly what I want in my next headphone, but I will try my best to describe it.

I listen to all Genres.  Currently I am listening to things like the Lumineers, Of Monster and Men, Mumford & Sons, etc. But I also listen to artists such as Red Hot Chili Peppers, Bloc Party, The Postal Service, Deathcab for Cutie, Metallica, Lindsey Stirling, Regina Spektor, Coeur de Pirates and the symphonic versions of all my favorite video games such as Final Fantasy and Chrono Cross. 

I do not feel that I am sensitive to sibilance, or I have not experienced it to a degree where I find it fatiguing in my limited first hand experience.  I love to hear all the details in my music.

I think I do like a midrange that is not recessed, but not too pushed forward either.  I felt that the mids on my AD900x were a bit forward, and when I EQ'ed them down a bit, my music sounded more natural and detailed. 

I honestly find the bass extension on my AD900x to be adequate, and the impact is at an enjoyable level.  However, in my next headphone, I would like more bass impact.

The things I want in my next headphone are:

Superior Imaging - I want to close my eyes and "see" where each instrument is.

Natural Sounding - I want everything to sound like they do in real life.  i.e. Sometimes I feel that the soundstage on my Audio Technica's is a bit artificially wide as I can hear the high-hat on the drums in my right ear, but I hear the snare drums in my left ear. 

Intimate? - I am not sure if that is the correct word, but I really like the way my Grado's made it feel like I was in the same room as the artist, and that they were playing their instruments un-amped (of course it also depends on the recording).  However, I do NOT want all of the sound to "in my head" I want the soundstage to be wide, but I want the "room" to be smaller than it is on my AD900x's (sometimes it feels like I am in a large auditorium).

I don't have a set budget yet, but I do believe I would have a hard time spending more than $500.  It doesn't matter if the headphones are open or closed as I do all of my listening at my computer in my room.  If there is anything else that would help you all point me in the right direction, please let me know! Thank you in advance!

P.S. Sorry I wrote a novel, but I blame you guys for how light my wallet has become! Fair trade IMO lol

Apr 2, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #2 of 5
That was way to much to read but I think you should check out the Sennheiser Momentums. I had a chance to listen to a pair at best buy and my mind was blown. Couldn't listen to any of my headphones afterwards. They all sounded dull in comparison. I will be picking up a pair as soon as possible.

Apr 2, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #3 of 5
Welcome on board, papabear31289. I had a feeling that the DT880s were going to be a good recommendation -- but I see you've tried those already.  I'm not sure what to suggest -- but you might read up on the AKG K550s which combines good clarity, reasonable bass support and relative good soundstage.

Did you try the DT880s with or without amp?

Apr 2, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
That was way to much to read but I think you should check out the Sennheiser Momentums. I had a chance to listen to a pair at best buy and my mind was blown. Couldn't listen to any of my headphones afterwards. They all sounded dull in comparison. I will be picking up a pair as soon as possible.

Thanks for the recommendation techfish! I'm not sure why I have never looked into the Sennheiser Momentums, but it seems like every time I come across them, they seem to have great reviews.  I will have to do more research on my end.  Haha and yeah, I know I wrote way too much, next time ill have to put down my thoughts more concisely.

Apr 2, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
Welcome on board, papabear31289. I had a feeling that the DT880s were going to be a good recommendation -- but I see you've tried those already.  I'm not sure what to suggest -- but you might read up on the AKG K550s which combines good clarity, reasonable bass support and relative good soundstage.

Did you try the DT880s with or without amp?

Thanks for the welcome flatmap! The AKG K550's is another set that I have never really looked into for whatever reason, but I will definitely read up on them to see if they sound like what I am looking for.  I always wanted to try some AKG's and was researching the Q701, but was afraid that they may sound similar to what I have already in my AD900x's.

It also interesting you suggest the DT880's.  I only had a brief session with them so its possible that I did not get a full impression of what they have to offer.  Also, I listened to them out of my Schiit Magni.  I've heard that the Beyer's really benefit from a tube amp.  I think that may be something that I'll have to try when I can as I felt the DT880's were very good, just a bit lifeless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back