Which headphone is the King of Planars?
Aug 1, 2020 at 5:43 AM Post #46 of 104
For me, the answer is Susvara quite easily but it is a bit of a pointless question to begin with really imo. The only correct answer is whichever one you prefer using your ears and your gear. Nobody else’s opinion bears any relevance to your decision on that. And when you do finally decide, your answer has no relevance for anybody else.

Aug 2, 2020 at 4:09 AM Post #47 of 104
For me, the answer is Susvara quite easily but it is a bit of a pointless question to begin with really imo. The only correct answer is whichever one you prefer using your ears and your gear. Nobody else’s opinion bears any relevance to your decision on that. And when you do finally decide, your answer has no relevance for anybody else.

Well yeah, but I unfortunately don't have the budget to buy every planar in existence and decide which is best, so I need some way to narrow it down before buying.

What is the purpose of this forum if not for people to talk about what they like?

Aug 2, 2020 at 5:53 AM Post #48 of 104
Well yeah, but I unfortunately don't have the budget to buy every planar in existence and decide which is best, so I need some way to narrow it down before buying.

What is the purpose of this forum if not for people to talk about what they like?

Yeah we all understand your frustration more or less. The guys who live in America in most cases have a lot of more possibility to go to a shop and sit down and listen. In other parts of the world it can range from easy to impossible but most of the time it's pretty hard.

If you want bragging rights on the king of planars just buy the most expensive set of cans you can find. If you want the one that sounds best to you you're going to have to articulate exactly what you want and don't want in terms of sound, fit, style etc. You'll get suggestions but every head and every pair of ears is different.

TL;DR it's a process and the likelihood of hitting the jackpot with the first ticket you buy is non-zero, but pretty low.

Aug 2, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #51 of 104
Yeah we all understand your frustration more or less. The guys who live in America in most cases have a lot of more possibility to go to a shop and sit down and listen. In other parts of the world it can range from easy to impossible but most of the time it's pretty hard.

If you want bragging rights on the king of planars just buy the most expensive set of cans you can find. If you want the one that sounds best to you you're going to have to articulate exactly what you want and don't want in terms of sound, fit, style etc. You'll get suggestions but every head and every pair of ears is different.

TL;DR it's a process and the likelihood of hitting the jackpot with the first ticket you buy is non-zero, but pretty low.
My abyss TCs show up next week and I expect them to be my King! 7k CAD.

Aug 2, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #53 of 104

Agree with this as well. Once you get into the truly TOTL headphones, understanding your own preferences becomes most important. Especially since most of the headphones listed in this thread are so different than each other. Best bet is to cross reference your preferences with others here to narrow down the selection..

Aug 3, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #54 of 104
Latest Phi, HFM Susavara, HFM HEKse, E2, LCD-4 - somewhere in there is your nirvana.

Aug 3, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #56 of 104
HEK SE for me...

Aug 3, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #57 of 104
Not Ether 2, but I agree with the rest :wink:

just a bit of EQ in the treble (net about 1.8db +) and they are remarkable. Need less EQ than LCD-4 and HEKse.

Aug 3, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #58 of 104
just a bit of EQ in the treble (net about 1.8db +) and they are remarkable. Need less EQ than LCD-4 and HEKse.

I think they sound really bad. They sound so dynamically compressed to me. And they can sound both dull and yet sharp/sibilant at the same time. But that’s just my opinion. I was just messing with you anyway :)

Aug 14, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #60 of 104
And the winner is: The Abyss.
1597450347302.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back