Which headphone is the King of Planars?
Jul 23, 2020 at 1:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 104

T3RIAD

New Head-Fier
I have been collecting the top headphones for each type of driver technology. So far I have:
  • Focal Utopia - Dynamic
  • Stax SR-009S - E-stat
  • RAAL Requisite SR1a - Ribbon
It's been quite fun listening to these. All are amazing, and each has it's own strengths. All I need now to round it out is a top-of-the-line planar magnetic headphone.

However, while the other three are fairly undisputed, I'm having trouble deciding which planar to buy. There seem to be many candidates:
  • Meze Empyrean
  • Audeze LCD-4
  • Abyss Phi 1266 TC
  • Hifiman Susvara
  • Hifiman HE1000
For each of these I can find both good and bad reviews. There seems to be no consensus on which is best.

So I'm asking here, which headphone do you think is the King of Planars? Which one will round out my collection? I don't necessarily mean "which would you buy if you could only buy one," and not even "which is the best headphone." I want to know which headphone best exemplifies the strengths of planar magnetic technology, relative to the other three I have.

Once it is decided and I have saved up enough to buy my fourth and final headphone, I will post a detailed review comparing all four TOTL headphones. :)

EDIT - I actually posted this in the newbie section a while ago, but it didn't get any replies. Hope it's okay to post it here now.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2020 at 2:24 AM Post #2 of 104
Something with a bit more color, given the headphones you already own? If you agree, then start with the LCD4. I’ve owned the 1266 Phi TC, Susvara, and LCD4 myself and have listened to the Meze (didn’t like it: mushy, veiled, disappointing). I don’t think you need to spend as much as 5k, personally, to obtain a satisfying planar experience and, either way, the 1266 and Susvara are too neutral to add meaningfully to your current collection, if you’re after something very different.

If you’re not after color but just technical brilliance and a planar sound, I’d say Susvara fits the bill, but you’ve got to have the amp for it (not just power but overall match) and make sure you don’t pay MSRP.

As a final point: I wouldn’t buy the Susvara before auditioning the HE1000 in case you’re happy enough with it that you’re able to save yourself the cash. Being a little further down the Hifiman chain, it may also possess a little less of the Susvara’s neutrality and hence be more suitable (again, if you’re after color).

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2020 at 2:45 AM Post #3 of 104
TCs are the best Planars, in my opinion. You need a good headphone amp to really see what they can do. They have the best bass of any headphone out. Of the three headphones you already have, none are really good at bass. Having the TCs would give you that new sound signature.

Jul 23, 2020 at 5:23 AM Post #5 of 104
Heard all of the listed planars and sold the Lcd4 twice only to end up with my third pair now...speaks for itself.
Would skip the Utopia and replace it with the HD800S.

Jul 23, 2020 at 7:29 AM Post #7 of 104
Looking at your collection I would indicate the LCD4 for some warm... But king will be between the Susvara and TC well driven...

Jul 23, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #9 of 104
I have been collecting the top headphones for each type of driver technology. So far I have:
  • Focal Utopia - Dynamic
  • Stax SR-009S - E-stat
  • RAAL Requisite SR1a - Ribbon
It's been quite fun listening to these. All are amazing, and each has it's own strengths. All I need now to round it out is a top-of-the-line planar magnetic headphone.

However, while the other three are fairly undisputed, I'm having trouble deciding which planar to buy. There seem to be many candidates:
  • Meze Empyrean
  • Audeze LCD-4
  • Abyss Phi 1266 TC
  • Hifiman Susvara
  • Hifiman HE1000
For each of these I can find both good and bad reviews. There seems to be no consensus on which is best.

So I'm asking here, which headphone do you think is the King of Planars? Which one will round out my collection? I don't necessarily mean "which would you buy if you could only buy one," and not even "which is the best headphone." I want to know which headphone best exemplifies the strengths of planar magnetic technology, relative to the other three I have.

Once it is decided and I have saved up enough to buy my fourth and final headphone, I will post a detailed review comparing all four TOTL headphones. :)

EDIT - I actually posted this in the newbie section a while ago, but it didn't get any replies. Hope it's okay to post it here now.

Based on your collection, I think Abyss TC will be the logical choice. This beast produce one of if not the best bass reproduction in headphone market. Not to mention still retain the lively impact (through all spectrum), detail and soundstage performance that simply at top level.

However, if the planar you want is something more relax and soft, then choice goes to LCD4 (or Empyrean for even stronger "soft character").

Jul 23, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #11 of 104
Based on your collection, I think Abyss TC will be the logical choice. This beast produce one of if not the best bass reproduction in headphone market. Not to mention still retain the lively impact (through all spectrum), detail and soundstage performance that simply at top level.

However, if the planar you want is something more relax and soft, then choice goes to LCD4 (or Empyrean for even stronger "soft character").
Yes I agree.

Jul 23, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #12 of 104
Well, I am not going to buy a headphone amplifier for a headphone, so the Abyss is not an option for me.

I did not like the Susvara (the mids sounded off to me).
LCD-4 and Hifiman HE-1000 just sounded wrong to with that soft sound.

What other planar would you guys recommened?

Jul 23, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #13 of 104
Well, I am not going to buy a headphone amplifier for a headphone, so the Abyss is not an option for me.

I did not like the Susvara (the mids sounded off to me).
LCD-4 and Hifiman HE-1000 just sounded wrong to with that soft sound.

What other planar would you guys recommened?

Based on the reviews the Final D8000Pro might fit bill: apparently great for clarity.

Jul 23, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #14 of 104
Based on the reviews the Final D8000Pro might fit bill: apparently great for clarity.

Thanks. I will look try to look for a demo pair to test them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back