Which headphone began your headphone journey?
Jul 10, 2005 at 7:49 AM Post #61 of 84
I found this site awhile ago. Yet before this I've always upgraded my computer for my game fetish instead of focusing on the audio. I've really come to like a lot of music since then, and now I want a nice portable audio system. So this is the first place I came.

Through a search ,the first semi-audiophile quality setup I'm getting is going to be Stax SR-001's and an X5L 30gb.

So, Stax SR-001's will be my first headphone in a loonng headphone journey
lambda.gif

Jul 10, 2005 at 9:33 AM Post #63 of 84
I bought a Sony mz-710 when i launched (i was 14 or 15) but i was soon quite unstatisfied with the sound of the included plugs so i went to a store and bought senns 437,after i left the store i was questioning myself if they'd be worth the 30€, but i loved 'em.... i wore them everyday, but one day a friend of mine broke them =( im still a poor student (but i got a job *yay*) and I infected with the upgrade-desease (spelling?).... two days ago my HD 650's arrived

Jul 10, 2005 at 2:50 PM Post #66 of 84
I started long time ago. We were kids and one of my friends (his father) bought the top of the line Marantz with oscilloscope
eek.gif
. I didn’t have anything; As soon as I started reading Stereo Review magazine and going on vacation to New York, I bought my first Kenwood amplifier with (0.0001THD) and a Pioneer turntable (with a Shure V15 TypeIV).
The real journey started listening to my friend’s brand new Marantz, Pioneer headphones and discovering vodka, s*** and Rock and Roll. Since then, I am not the same anymore.
eggosmile.gif

Well, University time.
mad.gif

Few years ago I started my second journey with the SR-60 and of curse, this forum. Since then, I became the monster of waves.
600smile.gif

Jul 10, 2005 at 2:59 PM Post #67 of 84
I had gotten an iRiver iFP-899T and had been pleased with the stock buds. I then bought a Creative Zen Xtra and gave the iRiver to my sister, when I noticed that the Creative's buds sounded pretty bad compared to the iRiver. So I trudged to Best Buy, uninformed, and looked for a decent pair of headphones and came away with the...(ugh)... Sony MDR-V300.

Arrived home, plugged them in with excitement...then was quickly disappointed by the muddy sound that came out. I went online to read reviews and found out a better choice in the price range would be the Koss PortaPros, so I returned the V300's to BB and went to Circuit City and picked up some PortaPro2's for $30 and was very pleased with the sound.

Naturally, doing that little bit of research and hearing the improved SQ led me to go on a headphone researching spree, and found Head-Fi. For some reason I just can't bring myself to buy anything more expensive than decent value cans though (being broke helps that too).

Jul 10, 2005 at 4:25 PM Post #68 of 84
The first headphone I remember getting was and older pair of Koss headphones.I cant remember the model number.They looked kind of like Grados.Then I had the Koss Pro 4 AA(I think).Then A couple of radio shack optimus(rebadged Koss?)models.My first real headphones were Grado 125s.After that everything kind of snowballed and my wallet and hearing have'nt been the same since.
600smile.gif

Jul 10, 2005 at 5:18 PM Post #69 of 84
My first 'good' pair of headphones are the HD-497's. Love the sound, hate the ub3r uncomfortableness.

When compared to the HD570's, the 497 sounds more direct and 'closer', IMO.

They are on my head right now... Playing Stevie Wonder - Superstition...

Should I start a HD-497 appreciation thread?

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jul 10, 2005 at 6:29 PM Post #71 of 84
Bought some Sennheiser HD 424X headphones around 1976 or so. Still have them (just recently got some replacement pads for them). Have upgraded the phones since then, but that's where it began.

Where will it end?...I really have no idea, as hanging around this board infects me with desire and lust for new toys.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 10, 2005 at 9:11 PM Post #73 of 84
For me it started unknowingly in 1977(?) when I *splurged* the ~$275 for a Stax SRX-MKIII/SRD-7 rig. I had those cans for 25 years and now regret selling them, if only for nostalgic reasons. The $275 was crazy expensive back then but they were the best cans anywhere - hell, there wasn't even a headphone market then, let alone a head-fi!

Nowadays, I'm more into the cans than ever before and am just working on a return to total bliss, but not holdin' my breath on the prospects. Actually I'm gettin' close, but that's another post.

I (briefly) considered the HE90 deal but nowadays if someone asks me if I want the best headphones ever or a $5000 bill, I'll definitely choose the heavy cash. To all those who ponied-up, SALUT!

Jul 10, 2005 at 11:38 PM Post #74 of 84
Sennheiser HD497. I had always had a feeling there were better cans than the $30 pairs I got at major retail outlets, so after doing some research into cans I bought those (I don't remember when this was, though).

I loved them, and then their cable died. I never got around to order a replacement, and then a birthday came around, and after more research I ordered the Sennheiser HD280 Pros (Nov. 2004).

After I got the HD280's I found this place, and have wanted to try a whole slew of other cans since. So, on a trip to Portland, OR which ended just today, I went to Fred's Sound of Music and bought the Grado SR60, and here I am.

I still want to order a replacement cable for the HD497.

Jul 11, 2005 at 12:33 AM Post #75 of 84
triports - i knew after a few weeks of listening to them that they sounded like ****, but i got them as a birthday present from my dad so i endured them for a long time, justifying that they were at least better than what came with my portables. i got a job this summer and am awaiting the arrival of my dt 660's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back