Which headphone began your headphone journey?
Jul 1, 2005 at 9:57 AM Post #31 of 84
Hmm, I guess it was around three or so years ago. Discovered this site, posted under a different name (The5thGhostbuster or something...I wish I'd remembered my password, so I didn't have to re-register!), did a little research. For my needs and tastes at the time, I ended up with a Beyerdynamic DT250-80, as well as a JMT built CHA47 amp (for use with my 'ol Sony discman). Kept me happy for uh...almost three years, until I just upgraded not even a month ago (or at least, my gear didn't finally get here until about three or so odd weeks ago). Now I've just plain spoiled myself rotten, and my ears are so orgasmically happy they're practically leaking wax.

Jul 1, 2005 at 10:12 AM Post #32 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajt976
I just decided to go without a Calculus book for half a semester and jump to the SR-225's instead!!!
biggrin.gif
Now that's head-fi spirit right there!

I've seen the most destitute often describe themselves as members of Team Ramen but to which team do you belong?
biggrin.gif
I hope the library had a copy of the required calculus text.

Jul 1, 2005 at 11:10 AM Post #33 of 84
it was two or so years ago.. my first 'hi-fi' headphone - the dt880!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 1, 2005 at 11:20 AM Post #34 of 84
It was my first headphone love affair too -- the AKG K240M
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 1, 2005 at 11:57 AM Post #35 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by raisin
First time-KossPro 4-aa? (30yrs ago), more recently shure e-2's.

Me, too on the Koss Pro 4a's, but make that 35 years ago. I aspired to Koss' electrostatics of the time and was really impressed with the liquid filled pads on the 4a's.

Jul 1, 2005 at 12:00 PM Post #36 of 84
I believe my story began ~ 1978/79, when my stepfather moved into my mum's place and brought his good quality Braun system (Regie 450S receiver, PS 550(S) turntable, TGC 450 tapedeck and a pair of (not so sure...) L 625 3-way bookshelf speakers - the speakers still being in use today...). Thus I wanted a headphone for private listening both on my Blaupunkt radio cassette recorder and on dad's Braun stuff. Still being a child and not having many options in our 3,000 inhabitants village Otterfing (~ 30 km south of Munich), I could only read some reviews and finally decided on the Sennheiser HD 420, which was ~ 75 DM at that time, iirc, and came with a huge combo plug for both DIN Würfel 5 (which was the headphone connector on both the Blaupunkt and the Braun) and 1/4". Quite a nice headphone (pic and some German fan homestory over there: http://www.elmulab.de/wiki/Sennheiser+HD+420), even though a little flat and dry sounding - especially in comparision to the AKG K240M I bought a few years later, when I already had my own Technics system...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Jul 1, 2005 at 1:43 PM Post #37 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63
I've seen the most destitute often describe themselves as members of Team Ramen but to which team do you belong?
biggrin.gif
I hope the library had a copy of the required calculus text.

Heh...I don't know actually. Probably something along the lines of "Team has to bum books from his friends after class until he can find them cheaper on half.com and wait for them to arrive via media mail and tell his professor that he 'forgot' to bring his book again"!
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

I actually skimped out on some books all together. I went the entire semester without a macro economics book, a book for my english class, and this huge book in 'art history' (easily the worst class I've ever taken in my life). Come to think of it, the only book I bought was the calculus book, and that wasn't until 3/5 of the way through. The only reason I bought that book was because I have to use it for 2 more calculus classes and differential equations (plus it's a $160 and I found it for $52.12 because it had a 'gouge' in the back cover). Man, these college texts are killing me!
biggrin.gif

Jul 1, 2005 at 3:11 PM Post #38 of 84
Nice variety... I was expecting to see more legions of SR-60s
280smile.gif

Jul 1, 2005 at 3:59 PM Post #39 of 84
I needed something better than ipod buds - dunno why i thought so, i just knew there was some way to make music sound better. Went to the bookstore, riffled through the audio mags, hit on a review of the SR60. It just looked SO retro - and yet it got the highest reviews! I googled it, found them at a good price online, but decided to find more reviews online - and that's how I stumbled on Head-fi! Read the sticky on this forum like a good boy, read Lisa's recommendation of the MS-1, then went to the Alessandro website and a little excited chill went up my spine. Couldn't afford the MS-2 or MS-Pro at the time, so the MS-1 was the one! Got it, loved it, upgradoed it, cursed it! CURSE YOU HEAD-FI!

Jul 1, 2005 at 4:00 PM Post #40 of 84
HD-580's.

Funny enough, I still have them. Upgradeitis...you can suck it!

Jul 1, 2005 at 4:36 PM Post #41 of 84
A pair of Senn HD 495's a fellow car stereo competitor recommended to me back in 2000 did it for me. I stayed with those for a while (about 2 years as my only cans) before getting in the market for some portables and thats when I found you guys...five amps and ten sets of cans later and my wallet hasn't been the same since.

Jul 1, 2005 at 6:50 PM Post #42 of 84
SR-80s. About eight years ago. Walked into a hi-fi store and said "I have $100 to spend on headphones," and the guy behind the counter handed me the SR-80s. Was really impressed by the audition, so I bought them.

Speakers were fine until my tastes changed. When I started listening to opera, which has lots of very quiet parts and lots of very loud parts, I quickly discovered that the very quiet parts weren't audible over the traffic outside my apartment and that the very loud parts would provoke my upstairs neighbor into a frenzy. So, I blame my headphone fixation on opera.

I sold my much loved, beat-up SR-80s on eBay several months ago. I was shocked to get back what I paid for them. Guess people really want those old Grado flat pads.

Jeffery

Jul 1, 2005 at 7:18 PM Post #43 of 84
I also was introduced to the HeadFi arena with the Senn. HD 495. These still sound suprisingly well given the price that I got them at the time. Around 2001 I won these on an internet web page. This got me started and have purchased a few items since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back