Which Grados to buy?
Aug 10, 2010 at 4:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

rdnrvn

New Head-Fier
After doing my fair bit of research here, I'm mostly gonna be entering Grado land soon
dt880smile.png
Only thing is I'm not able to decide which one I should get. My budget is $150-200.
Audio source would be my ipod or laptop. Laptop 90% of the time. I listen mainly to Rock (classical, post-punk, shoegaze, indie etc.)
So, should I go for SR125i or spend my entire budge to get SR225i. I'm also confused if I should just wait for a couple of months and get SR325is itself.
beyersmile.png

Aug 10, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #2 of 25
Have you auditioned Grados before? 

If not, I would suggest starting out with the SR60i since they sound fine unamped. That way you will know whether or not the "Grado sound" is for you.

Once you can afford an amp/dac, that's when you should move up the headphone ladder.

Just my opinion, of course.

Aug 10, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #4 of 25
Definitely agree that you ought to audition them first if you can.  I started with a pair of SR80s and am now very happy with my 225s, which are perfect for rock music imho.  I listen to them either unamped through my ipod or laptop which sounds great or through my SR71 Ray Samuels amp which sounds even better!.

Aug 10, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #6 of 25
I'm a little new to this myself so I can't tell you the comparison first hand yet, but don't forget to look into Alessandro headphones. Grado and Alessandro apparently work with each other to produce very similar headphones but balanced in a different way. I just ordered a set of MS1i's myself :)

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/70279/alessandro

Aug 10, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #7 of 25
Yes I'm gonna audition them before I buy. Ill probably listen to all three of them. But considering I like the Grado sound, I want to be prepared at the store to pull my wallet out and just go for it.
smile_phones.gif

I read about Alessandros too. I dint look into MS1 cuz I'm fortunate to have upto 200 bucks for this. MS2 seems like a good choice but its in the same price range as SR325is.

Also, I have been looking at portable amp/dac in the range of $80-130. I'll have to forfeit on the phones then for sometime. Its just that I wanna make sure first which phones Im getting. Based on that I can decide the amp/dac.

Aug 10, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #8 of 25
For me 325is all the way....but its just my opinion
darthsmile.gif

Aug 10, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #9 of 25

Quote:
For me 325is all the way....but its just my opinion
darthsmile.gif

If I do go for 325is is it alright to run them directly through ipod / laptop? Cuz ill need to wait atleast couple of months before I can splash again for an amp/dac.

Edit: Oh wait, I mean I need to wait a month or two to buy 325is then another month or two to get the additional accessories
dt880smile.png

Aug 10, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #10 of 25
If you are going all out, I'd go for

-sr 225 (highly regarded as the best out of the Prestige Series, very smooth compared to the sr 325i, which are very love or hate because of its aggressiveness)

More expensive options:

-HF 1 (a more expensive headphone with sr 225 drivers in it. The HF1 has a hybrid aluminum air chamber with a mahogany nozzle, which results in a better sound, apparently. Limited edition so it's hard to find and probably more expensive than before.)

-MS2i (less aggressive and more refined than the sr 325i, apparently. A tweaked sr 325i in all respects.)

-SR 325i (if you want a very aggressive sound, you will either love it or hate it.)

Good luck on your search. My sr-225s are shipping to my address as we speak. I can't wait. :D

Aug 10, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #11 of 25

Nice :) Have you decided which amp/dac u gonna be using for them in the future? Your sig doesnt mention any amp.
Quote:
If you are going all out, I'd go for

-sr 225 (highly regarded as the best out of the Prestige Series, very smooth compared to the sr 325i, which are very love or hate because of its aggressiveness)

More expensive options:

-HF 1 (a more expensive headphone with sr 225 drivers in it. The HF1 has a hybrid aluminum air chamber with a mahogany nozzle, which results in a better sound, apparently. Limited edition so it's hard to find and probably more expensive than before.)

-MS2i (less aggressive and more refined than the sr 325i, apparently. A tweaked sr 325i in all respects.)

-SR 325i (if you want a very aggressive sound, you will either love it or hate it.)

Good luck on your search. My sr-225s are shipping to my address as we speak. I can't wait. :D

Aug 10, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #12 of 25
Another vote for trying the SR-60 first.  If you haven't heard Grados before, you need to try the  SR-60.  Most people love Grados, but not everyone, so try out the low end first.

And it's not like you're going to suffer with the SR-60.  They sound really good and, based on your music, I think you'll love them.  If I ended up on a long trip with nothing but the SR-60 and an iPod, I'd be happy.

If you get hooked on the Grado sound, then save up for a used RS-1.  You can skip to a 225 or other, but most Grado lovers end up with the RS-1 sooner or later, no matter the models they own in between.

Aug 10, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #13 of 25

If you can try them before i think is the best because the way i am hearing music and the way you are hearing it maybe different....so yes 325is are "agressif" but i like it
L3000.gif

Quote:
If I do go for 325is is it alright to run them directly through ipod / laptop? Cuz ill need to wait atleast couple of months before I can splash again for an amp/dac.

Edit: Oh wait, I mean I need to wait a month or two to buy 325is then another month or two to get the additional accessories
dt880smile.png

Aug 10, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #14 of 25
I had the MS1i.  It was decent and fine but sounded the worst of the headphones I had.  The 225i is a definite step up making the MS1i  not even a real consideration if you can step up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back