Which game console do you own/which will you buy?
Mar 1, 2002 at 2:23 AM Post #61 of 80
The 32x was definitely worth the money for me... Did you have one? Did you ever play Chaotix or Virtua Fighter on it? It also had a great version of Virtua Racing and NBA Jam... And no, no hummingbird fetish... Actually, never had Kolibri. I'll probably get it eventually though.

Anyway, ya, the 32x didn't do too well, but its no different than the Saturn or Dreamcast. The lack of third party support is what killed it. Sega put out great games, they just didn't have any other support. For the Saturn, Sega and Capcom put out some really good stuff, as did Treasure (Guardian Heroes was amazing). It also had tons of support in Japan, but the third party support killed it.

The Dreamcast was Sega's chance to start with a clean slate, and they couldn't even do that right. Again, the games Sega made were amazing, and they did great to get Namco to put out Soul Calibur, but everything faded too fast. I think Sega will get back into the hardware market, well, I know they will, they've said it. A couple generations from now we'll probably see the next Sega console, and hopefully after everyone gets to know how great Sega games are on other consoles, they'll want to buy the next generation Sega console.

As far as Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft are concerned, I think Nintendo will never have problems moving systems and software, and Sony did well enough the first time around to stick around and do quite well in Sega's absence. However, I won't support the xbox. Aside from it being huge and ugly, the controller being one of the worst ever made (probably not as bad as the Atari Jaguar's controller...oh, and the Gamecube and Saturn controllers are by far the best), and the fact it's simply a PC, it has NO good exclusives. Ok, so I haven't looked over the game lineup really closely, but as far as I'm concerned there isn't one game worth buying the system for... Probably won't change either. Hopefully this will be the only generation of consoles Microsoft will be involved in.

Oh ya, here's a few of my favorite games from the past (16-bit and up)... Castlevania: Bloodlines (Genesis), Mario Paint (SNES), Street Fighter 2 (SNES), Phantasy Star 4 (Genesis), Flashback (Genesis), Mario Kart (SNES), Chaotix (32X), Virtua Racing (Genesis and 32X), Guardian Heroes (Saturn), Wipeout (PSX), Suikoden (Saturn and PSX), Street Fighter Alpha (Saturn and PSX), Night Warriors (Saturn), Pocket Fighter (Saturn), Radiant Silvergun (Saturn), Metal Slug (Saturn)... I'll stop there, I could go on forever
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 1, 2002 at 3:12 AM Post #62 of 80
I must have gone through hundreds of sites for midis, they're all over the place.

Whoa, they ported Metal Slug to the Saturn? I thought it was exclusive to NeoGeo. I've never played the arcade version of it.

Mar 1, 2002 at 3:13 AM Post #63 of 80
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco

ninja gaiden tunes never sounded better!

can you just imagine a new ninja gaiden game on the game boy advance like they did with castlevania??? the very idea puts a smile on my face
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 1, 2002 at 3:22 AM Post #64 of 80
Quote:

Originally posted by secretagent44
can you just imagine a new ninja gaiden game on the game boy advance like they did with castlevania??? the very idea puts a smile on my face
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

ya know what would be REALLY COOL? If they released the arcade version of Ninja Gaiden on the GBA! While their at it, the can start cranking out ports of all the late 80's/early 90's arcades to GBA! Wrestlefest would be slammin'

Where is Super Mario 3 for the GBA?
frown.gif

Mar 1, 2002 at 3:29 AM Post #65 of 80
Quote:

Originally posted by Flumpus
The 32x was definitely worth the money for me... Did you have one? Did you ever play Chaotix or Virtua Fighter on it? It also had a great version of Virtua Racing and NBA Jam... And no, no hummingbird fetish... Actually, never had Kolibri. I'll probably get it eventually though.

Anyway, ya, the 32x didn't do too well, but its no different than the Saturn or Dreamcast. The lack of third party support is what killed it. Sega put out great games, they just didn't have any other support. For the Saturn, Sega and Capcom put out some really good stuff, as did Treasure (Guardian Heroes was amazing). It also had tons of support in Japan, but the third party support killed it.

The Dreamcast was Sega's chance to start with a clean slate, and they couldn't even do that right. Again, the games Sega made were amazing, and they did great to get Namco to put out Soul Calibur, but everything faded too fast. I think Sega will get back into the hardware market, well, I know they will, they've said it. A couple generations from now we'll probably see the next Sega console, and hopefully after everyone gets to know how great Sega games are on other consoles, they'll want to buy the next generation Sega console.

I never owned a 32X. I played almost every game on it for varying lengths. The Virtua Racing port is legitimately the only port worth mentioning of the game. The Saturn version was developed by Atari/Time Warner and is a turd.

The 32X never had internal support from Sega. Sega Enterprises had no intention of supporting it because it wasn't their system. It was barely even released in Japan. Like it or not, the majority of Sega's development originates in Japan, either from internal divisions like AM2 or from second party developers like Treasure.

Your assessment of the Saturn is off base. The Saturn had excellent support from Sega's first and second party developers as well as a slew of third party developers. Konami and Capcom were never shy of the Saturn. Some of the Capcom fighters were ported only to Saturn and all of them were better on the Saturn than any other platform. To think the Saturn had poor support can only mean one thing--that you lived in the United States. The fact is that the Saturn had tons of great software but that most of it never made it to the US because Sega of America was so poorly run. If you're a Treasure fan, I really hope you at least have an import of Radiant Silvergun.

The Dreamcast, conversely, didn't have as many third party developers in Japan and didn't really ever stand a chance against competition in the marketplace (when Saturn launched, most people in Japan predicted it to beat the PlayStation in sales, no one was deluded with the Dreamcast vs. PlayStation 2). Due to its timing, it did well in the US but not in Japan at all. I'm sure you're happy with your Dreamcast, but there was actually a lot more software available for the Saturn overall. When the Dreamcast launched in the US, most of Sega's marketing staff had completely turned over from the 32X/Saturn days and I blame this partially for the Dreamcast's success. In the least, Kalinske was out and that made me happy but as I said, I was really a fan of the parent company, not the crippled US "division."

Mar 1, 2002 at 3:35 AM Post #66 of 80
Ha!!! I'm free!!! I'm free!!!

I reformatted and reinstalled a few months ago, and in that time I installed two games but haven't played either. Now I don't have to upgrade my computer anymore--even better, I can now migrate back to Mac.

Mar 1, 2002 at 4:00 AM Post #67 of 80
Wow, a lot of X Box abuse on this thread. I own an X Box and personally love it. I'm really surprised there are so many negative opinions of the X Box. I understand that PS2 has a wider selection of games at the moment, but they are rapidly releasing games for the X Box. The graphics on X Box are amazing too. It's by far the fastest and the most powerful system on the market currently. At first I didn't like the controller, but now it's extremely easy to use. I have played a few PS2 games and I was very unimpressed by the graphics.

Criticisms so far- It's ugly. Hmm, well when I go to buy a console system, all I look for is the styling of the system
rolleyes.gif
It's big and heavy. So what? It sits on a table next to my TV and never moves. It's basically a computer. Yes, that's mostly true. It has a hard drive, processor, and video card. What's inside the PS2?? And why is this a bad thing??

I do think that the PS2 has an advantage over the X Box in games selection. I know there are a lot of FF fans out there, and I hear GTA3 is a great game too. Microsoft is really going to push for sales of the X Box, so I'm sure that they'll be releasing a lot of games in the near future. This is what I'm hoping on anyway. Anyone else out there have an X Box, I can't be the only one on Head-Fi...
confused.gif

-Mike

Mar 1, 2002 at 6:58 AM Post #68 of 80
Ugh, I mentioned Capcom, and I really enjoyed the Saturn. I do have alot of import games, and I mentioned Radiant Silvergun as one of my favorites... You said basically the same thing I did about the Saturn... I wasn't off base.

The 32x was supported, although not as much as it could have been. The 32X CD format could have easily been the best thing out there. They just marketed the format poorly so they only attracted FMV games, ugh.

And I don't see how Sega of America and Sega of Japan matters... It's all Sega, and I like all of 'em. I think they made some poor decisions, but they still make some of the best games out there (Japan), and I think SoA does great jobs with most of the ports.

Mar 1, 2002 at 12:43 PM Post #69 of 80
I misread "lack of third party support that killed it" as being in reference to Saturn instead of 32X, which upon rereading is obviously what you meant.

The difference between which Sega is important because Sega Enterprises was doing an awesome job during the Saturn launch. The tide didn't turn until Square and consequentially Enix announced that they had thrown support to the PlayStation--and with it the announcement that FF7 and DQ7 would NOT be on Saturn. Despite that, Sega continued excellent first and third party support and had a pretty successful run in Japan with the Saturn. Sega of America did an OK job with some ports and a horrid job with others. My real beef with them is that they didn't bother to port most of the stuff that could have kept them on the map in the US. On the Dreamcast, this was actually less of an issue, but there was less to choose from, too.

The difference is also important because, as I was alluding to, the 32X beign developed by Sega of America without true support of Sega Enterprises never had a snowball's chance in hell regardless of its capabilities. And 32X CD may have been capable enough, but by the time those games came out, you could have had an import Saturn within a couple months--and I went that route. IMO, SoA killed the hype that should have belonged to Saturn by releasing the 32X.

Nintendo rightfully deserved the same screw-up status due to Virtual Boy, but since VB was such a different product from N64, it didn't really impact them. Though, it was a big enough failure that they gave Gumpei Yokoi, their greatest producer--responsible for everything from Metroid to the GameBoy, a window seat. These were dark days for the industry.
frown.gif
Yokoi passed finally left to start a new company then passed away soon after.

I didn't see where you mentioned Silvergun. I saw Guardian Heroes and just wanted to make sure you had Silvergun because there are.... ways of getting you it if you didn't.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 1, 2002 at 2:42 PM Post #70 of 80
I own both Xbox and PS2, a self-explanatory phenomenon demos that both systems have their advantages and disadvantages. I must say the best graph I've even seen (assuming TV is the display) is FFX although gameplay is tedious and almost unplayable w/o game guide helping me to solve those trial puzzles; GTA3 is hilarious fun, esp. if you are into running down people on the street, get healed by the lady of the night, etc. but the graphics could really be better. Yes I only play Halo on Xbox as all other existing Xbox games are subpar, but Halo along is worth the admission price of Xbox system. It's a truly classic shooter. (BTW, if you finish Legendary level, you will be treated with a humorous different ending; I LOL when I was treated with the ending)

Mar 1, 2002 at 5:32 PM Post #71 of 80
Don't wanna get into an argument, but that's what I'm talking about with XBox. Halo is great I'm sure, but also coming out on PC eventually, so I'll wait to experience it then...just my opinion
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 1, 2002 at 8:55 PM Post #73 of 80
Personally, as you can tell, I don't have a lot of brand loyalty. I go where the software goes. If they make games I happen to want for XBox that aren't available on the platforms I own, I'll probably get one. Thus far they haven't and they haven't announced any that make me think that likely to change. Halo, for me, is probably a rental. I'd like to play it more but it's just not one of the genres I tend to play a lot. Aside from Halo, there's just not much I want to try at all. In the least, I would say that for me, it made more sense to own a PS2, GBA and GC before even thinking about an XBox.

Mar 1, 2002 at 11:06 PM Post #74 of 80
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
gloco - have you been here?
HUGE archive.

LOL, yeah i've been there, that's where i got most of my midi's. Maybe i should pay them another visit, thanks for the reminder!

cool.gif

Mar 1, 2002 at 11:08 PM Post #75 of 80
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
I go where the software goes.

Excellent point, this is the reason why i'm gonna wind up with a GC since the Resident Evil franchise is Gamecube bound. Code veronica was simply amazing for Dreamcast...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back