Which game console do you own/which will you buy?
Feb 27, 2002 at 11:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 80

gloco

Only one ban in 5000 attempts!
Well, all the next-gen systems are available, so here we go!

I personally still have a Dreamcast, i'm actually still undecided about which system to buy. Leaning towards the Gamecube because of the RE franchise is staying there. PS2 looks like it has some cool games and the XBOX is just too damn big, although its the strongest of the three. Not too sure about PS2 vs. the GC though.

Edit: I wanted to make this a poll, moderator can you please include these (4) selections, thanks:

1. Gamecube
2. Dreamcast
3. PS2
4. XBOX

Feb 27, 2002 at 11:25 PM Post #2 of 80
Be sure to allow us to vote for more than one... Personally I have a Sega Saturn, Dreamcast, Gamecube, and Playstation 2. I won't buy an X-Box.

Feb 27, 2002 at 11:43 PM Post #3 of 80
I sold all my old stuff, I have N64 and Dreamcast (Sega RULEZ!).
I love the Xbox for its kick ass controller (best damn gamepad I ever used), and it's the only platform that Halo's available for (so far anyway), but the Nvidia GPU ruins it.
Gamecube has best graphics I've seen in a console, but ****ty games (except for Zelda).
My heart is with PS2 because of Grand Theft Auto 3 (I have both 1 and 2 for PC) and Devil May Cry.

Feb 28, 2002 at 12:09 AM Post #4 of 80
Just Dreamcast for me right now, and I need more games!
frown.gif
cool.gif

Feb 28, 2002 at 12:15 AM Post #5 of 80
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
but the Nvidia GPU ruins it.

I honestly don't understand this point. Some people may argue with you on this on. Why do you think the Nvidia chip ruins the Xbox? Everything i've read so far points out how powerful the damn thing is. GC does look nice though, but it seems all the publications i read kinda make it sound like it only has "bells & whistles" graphically, i don't understand that argument. The GC, to me, seems technically superior compared to the PS2.

Feb 28, 2002 at 12:25 AM Post #6 of 80
I have one and as it's looking, it's the only one I'll need. The PS2.
very_evil_smiley.gif
I can't even catch up with the games that are coming out for it. Getting another console would horribly break my bank account.

Feb 28, 2002 at 12:25 AM Post #7 of 80
One thing I've noticed about Nvidia chips is that, although they are ridicuously fast and potent, they have inferior picture quality to other chips like ATI's. Maybe that is what A&M is getting at?

Anyways, I have a Gamecube, N64, Genesis, and... had an SNES (stupid brother sold it, it was MINE!!!)

Feb 28, 2002 at 12:45 AM Post #9 of 80
I've got a PS2 and a Dreamcast, and recently most of my time has been spent with... the gameboy advance! (Golden Sun)
wink.gif

Feb 28, 2002 at 12:56 AM Post #10 of 80
I no longer have time for console gaming. But...

PS2 has the games I want (I think),
XBOX has the technology and market momentum I want,
and Gamecube is cute enough for a worthy slew of rentals.

So today, I guess I'd take a PS2 if I had to choose.

I can't believe I've dropped out of the TV console gaming loop after owning all this (most memorable game also listed):

Fairchild Channel F - Spitfire
Atari 2600 - Adventure
Mattel Intellivision - Space Spartans w/Intellivoice
Colecovision - Montezuma's Revenge
GCE Vectrex - 3D Minestorm
Nintendo NES - River City Ransom
SNES - F-Zero/Pilotwings tie
Sega Genesis - Sonic the Hedgehog
Turbo Duo - Ys Book I & II CD version
3DO (Panasonic FZ-1, FZ-10, and Goldstar) - Return Fire
Atari Jaguar - nothing comes to mind
Sony Playstation - Wipeout XL
Nintendo 64 - Goldeneye 007
Sega Dreamcast - Jet Grind Radio

Hmmm... those are the ones I actually owned. I tried just about all the others (Magnavox Odyssey II, SNK Neo-Geo, etc), including the weird-ass hybrids like the Pioneer Laseractive and the Philips CD-I. Only the highly elusive Konix escaped my gaming fingers.

After I gave away my Dreamcast and sold the others, I'm left with only the Sony Playstation w/Action Replay parallel port mod cartridge. Gotta have DDR, Wipeout XL, and Point Blank, yanno.

Feb 28, 2002 at 1:11 AM Post #11 of 80
Quote:

Originally posted by secretagent44
Original NES--that is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.

Yep, i was just playing FF1 last night, too much fun....(should i use the Defense sword, or the sun sword, or the bane sword...ahhhhh, dragon armor...cool!)

biggrin.gif
cool.gif

Feb 28, 2002 at 1:20 AM Post #12 of 80
Nick - Just last week I found my copy of Return Fire for the PS1 - I LOVE that game!

Feb 28, 2002 at 1:27 AM Post #13 of 80
Well, Gloco, as with everything else you'll have to define your needs first.

Mainly Singleplayer/Party machine? and DVD/no DVD?

In my eyes Nintendo has always ruled as the party machine, remember Super Smash Brothers (close to the ultimate party game) and GoldenEye etc. for the N64? Me and my friend (aged 18-27) still play them...

I haven't tried the GC (not out in Europe yet
frown.gif
) but I'm looking forward to Super Smash Brothers Melee (and perhaps Super Monkey Ball) and we preordered a GC and four gamepads quite some time ago...

I can't give any advice on consoles for singleplayer/net gaming, 'cause that's what I have my PC for.

As for the question of wether or not the GC is technically superior to PS2. I don't think it matters... The GC is insanely much simpler to program for, and that very important...

These AnandTech articles might interest some...
Behind the Xbox, behind the GC

Feb 28, 2002 at 1:31 AM Post #14 of 80
My favorite console is Neo-Geo, I used to have one, but the games were way too expensive, had to sell it back in the day.

Xbox is fast, but image quality is ****, not a compromise I'm willing to make. PS2 doesn't look too hot either, but it's better than Nvidia,
biggrin.gif

Feb 28, 2002 at 1:34 AM Post #15 of 80
Got a Dreamcast and Gamecube. Not buying PS2 or X-Box, there's nothing (w/ the possible exception of DOA3) that I want to play on either.

Gamecube has the great games. I finally beat Super Monkey Ball the other day... the expert level is REALLY TOUGH! Such a versatile and fun game, it's great. Waverace is definitely my second favorite. And once Soul Calibur 2 comes out, I will be in heaven.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back