Which full-size headphone/Ultrasone is comparable to the Zino?
Aug 19, 2010 at 12:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Ultrazino

Now known as HuoYuanJia
At first I had a hard time getting used to Ultrason'e portable Zino because of the harsh highs and bright presentation, but damn, I'm loving these more and more each day! Whatever I though was sibilance is gone now (burn-in?) and the treble's harshness turned into sparkle.

The bass is pure bliss, extremely punchy with fast decay and strong impact. It's extremely detailed. All other head- and earphones are but muddy and bloated to my ears upon switching.

Soundstage, the effect of S-Logic and fullness improve with my desktop amp and increased volume, so I think these are used best at home. So is there any dedicated full-size headphone that's similar?
Apparently Ultrasone has stated that the Zino uses the same driver as the HFI-2400 but does it also sound the same? I do want it to be open. What about the PRO-2900?

I don't mind trying another brand but I need this 'out-of-the-head' feeling!

Thanks!

Aug 19, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #2 of 23
I believe the HFI-2400 is your best bet if you want a "full-sized" version. Although, I'm not positive, as I have never heard any Ultrasones.

Good luck finding any info about the HFI-2400 on Head-Fi though. I swear nobody has them. Not even a single review.

Sigh, I guess I'll just have to buy them for myself with my K701 refunded money...

Aug 22, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #4 of 23
Quote:
Well can anyone comment if the 2400 is an actual step up from the Zino, and if so how much better is it? Surely the price difference has to mean something.

I'm sorry, I don't think anyone will comment on the 2400's. They are non-existent here on Head-Fi. I've tried with multiple threads. Not a single response.

There has to me some sort of improvement. I know they use the Zino drivers, but the exact size? That seems a bit odd.

Hope some comments come in though, I'm about to order my next headphone, and the 2400's are one of two candidates!

Aug 22, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #5 of 23
Well I went ahead and ordered them from a vendor that will let me return them. I think the Zion's have a 40mm driver like the 2400's. Whether they are the same drivers I don't know. I suppose the housing could make a difference if they are the same. So I guess no one else has the Zino's and the 2400's? I'm not even seeing negative comments, which usually come easier than positive ones.

I'll let you know what I think. I should get them by Tuesday, and of course I'll be trying to break them in as soon as I get them.

Aug 22, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #6 of 23
That is exactly what I would have done. I still may do that now, is try them out for a week or so, and then return them if I'm not satisfied.

Wow, I'm surprised they fit a 40mm driver in the Zino! It seems like it would be a bit bigger than that.

Do you have the Zino's? If you do, I would be glad to hear your comparisons and impressions. As comments on the 2400 is extremely rare here.

(By the way, I've never heard of a headphone called the Zion)
wink.gif

Aug 22, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #7 of 23
Sorry meant to type Zino, and I've had a pair since they first came out. 40mm is listed as the drivers size below. In checking specs on the 2400 it looks like they have a wider frequency range. So there is hope :wink:

Zino Technical Specifications:
-Principle: Dynamic / Semi-Open
-Impedance: 35 Ohm
-Driver size: 40mm Gold plated
-Magnet: NdFeB
-Frequency range: 25 – 25,000 Hz
-SPL: 101dB
-Weight (excl. cord): 84g
-Cord length: 1,2m (OFC Cable)
-3.5mm gold plated slim-plug

Aug 22, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #8 of 23
Yeah, yeah, I know what you meant.
biggrin.gif

If it's the same driver, I don't know how they would have a higher frequency response. Then again, they could be BSing it like Sony. 
tongue.gif

Honestly. Sony claims 6Hz -100000Hz for their SA5000. Uh huh, sure.

Not that the frequency response means anything anyway...
rolleyes.gif

Aug 23, 2010 at 5:34 AM Post #9 of 23
Glad you guys dug up my post. I was starting to worry.
smile_phones.gif

Now that I'm finally pleased with my IEMs, I would love a headphone for home use to replace both HFI-780 & Zino. I hope the 2400 delivers in the bass department or else I'll stick to the other two (depending on genres.)

Aug 23, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #10 of 23
Well they still haven't shipped even though I did an overnight from Amazon.com. I figured on a Tuesday delivery. But unless it goes out this afternoon it may be later this week. The 1/4 to 1/8 Grado adaptor will arrive today though :wink: I also ordered the Ultrasone 1/8 cable from Ultrasone. I hope this is all worth it.

Update. It has shipped with delivery of tomorrow.

Aug 23, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #11 of 23
I was going to ask if you ordered from Amazon. I guess you already did. I thought it might me you, as there are only "4 more in stock" on Amazon, as it has been "5" for the longest time. Overnight shipping sometimes doesn't work if you order at the wrong time. Usually, two-day shipping is the best value, as the overnight sometimes can take two days.

I don't think the adapter was necessary. Ultrasone includes a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter, similar to the K701's. So I guess you will have three on your hands!
biggrin.gif

I forgot to ask, are you using these straight from your iPod?

Aug 24, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #12 of 23
Well they arrived today and I've just now had a chance to plug them into a Headroom Total Bithead running off my iMac 256 kbps and 1000 kbps music. There was no 1/4 to 1/8 adaptor in the box. So the Grado Prestige Mini Adaptor cable ordered at the same time came in handy.  Wow, these things are large compared to my Zino's and B&W P5 headphones. I haven't had a full sized set of headphones since selling my Senns. They are very comfortable in fit and weight. Eye glass wearers rejoice. You can slip on and off your glasses without taking headphones off.

I know these are not yet broken in, but I am not disappointed listening to Jeff Beck, Violent Femmes, Toots, Joss Stone, and Little Axe. The improved low end (as compared to the Zino and B&W P5) is making me smile.  The high end does not seem harsh, to me, out of the box. At least one review I found seemed to suggest the high end would sound hot until they broke in.

I tried to use them straight up with my iPhone 4 but can't get the adaptor past the Element Vapor Case! Anyone know of a thinner 1/4 to 1/8 adaptor?

Well I don't know if these are keepers yet but I'm sure enjoying them. Pics and updates to follow this weekend.

Aug 24, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #13 of 23
Awesome! Congrats on your new headphone!

Did they really not come with the adapter? I've heard from reviews that it wasn't included, but then they decided to include one later one. But I guess not? I'm glad you got the Grado adapter then. So I guess for the people planning on buying these, they should expect to pay $15 more. And I'm sorry, but no, there is no thinner adapter. I used to look for one after I ordered my K701, because they included one as well, and it was huge! Unfortunately, they can't get any thinner, or then the 1/4 jack wouldn't fit.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures! You may be the first on Head-Fi to have uploaded pictures of them. Come to think of it, I think you are the first.
biggrin.gif

Aug 25, 2010 at 8:00 AM Post #14 of 23
Well, is the bass comparable to the Zino? Or is it a little more boomy?
I can imagine that the bass of the HFI-2400 might not be as strong.

There's no chance you might consider a comparison with the PRO-2900, right?
biggrin.gif

Aug 28, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #15 of 23
The bass compared to the Zino is richer and/or deeper. I don't find the bass "boomy" or over powering. I'm a Senn. fan, so for me that is a good thing. I'm hearing more reverb going on with the 2400 as compared with the Zino (which I assume was the musician's intention). The headphone is not coming off as as lively as the Zino, but I feel that I'm getting more of the full spectrum of music over the Zino and my B&W P5's.

I have a pretty modest set-up being limited to a Headroom Total Bithead and mostly 256 kbps music of my iMac and iPad. I don't see me lugging the 2400's around for coffee shop runs because of their size. The fact the 1/4 to 1/8 adapter won't fit my Elements Vapor encased iPhone isn't a deal killer for me.

I sent a picture of them on my head to a friend and she said it looked like I was geek wearing manhole covers or mag wheels :wink: So unless you are prepared to take a little ribbing from earbud users these might have to stay home. I do have plans of trying these with my iPad with the Apple USB dongle and the Bithead.

The reason the plastic is still on the headband (in the pics) is that I pretty much had the 2400's "on probation" and until I figure out whether I wanted to keep them or not. Until I remembered to put the Total Bithead into low gain I thought the music sound a little congested on the 2400. Once I got that squared away I found the music opened up nicely, Dire Straits sounds great as I'm writing this. I suppose one gauge of quality of the headphones is that my older iTunes purchases at 128 kbps aren't really hacking it anymore. I find the 128's more listenable with the Zino's and the B&W P5's.  

The cable supplied screws into the headphones and is heavy duty and long, way too long for my set-up. I'm finding the accessory iPod cable too short for my purposes (running from the Total Bithead on my desk). The comfort of the headphones is great. Long listening sessions work well until I tilt my head left and the stiff cable and cable protector (where the cable screws into the headphone) hit my shoulder. Maybe I've got a short neck, but I didn't have this problem with some AKG's I once owned.

I've never had a chance to try the higher end Ultrasone headphones. So, I don't know how musically compromised these are compared to the higher end and more expensive Ultrasone offerings. But I can say for me they are a definite step up from the Zino's. I would imagine the 2400's have a lot more to give if I would upgrade my headphone amplifier and go to lossless. Am I going to keep these? Stay tuned until Monday as I'm still checking them out over the weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back