Which Etymotics for me?
Dec 25, 2013 at 3:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

miko

New Head-Fier
Hello, I am a Shure SE 115 user. It is quite good but I am looking for a device that is better at sound isolation (ideal if it could block out loud people conversation when there is no music playing). I am torn between the HF-3, HF-5 and ER-4PT. Could you please help me to decide?

1. I heard that the HF-3 and HF-5 sound almost the same as the ER-4PT. Is this really true? I listen to classical music, celtic music.

2. From the company website, it looks like all three have the same sound isolation capability.

3. I have a MacBook Pro and a Samsung Note 3. If I get the HF-3, does the microphone and volume control work with the Samsung phone?

4. Which headphone is less fragile? I recall reading a review that one of them is easy to wear down. Don't remember which one.

5. Has the problem of annoying sound coming out from the cable touching the cloths solved?

Thank you.

Dec 25, 2013 at 3:56 AM Post #2 of 23
  Hello, I am a Shure SE 115 user. It is quite good but I am looking for a device that is better at sound isolation (ideal if it could block out loud people conversation when there is no music playing). I am torn between the HF-3, HF-5 and ER-4PT. Could you please help me to decide?

1. I heard that the HF-3 and HF-5 sound almost the same as the ER-4PT. Is this really true? I listen to classical music, celtic music.

2. From the company website, it looks like all three have the same sound isolation capability.

3. I have a MacBook Pro and a Samsung Note 3. If I get the HF-3, does the microphone and volume control work with the Samsung phone?

4. Which headphone is less fragile? I recall reading a review that one of them is easy to wear down. Don't remember which one.

5. Has the problem of annoying sound coming out from the cable touching the cloths solved?

Thank you.

1. i have the er4p and i think its very different compared to the hf5 , dunno about the rest though
2. assuming you get the fit
3.no,hf 2 will though

Dec 25, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #3 of 23
Thanks. For the HF2, it works for Samsung phone. What about the MacBook Pro or normal desktop computer? Besides the control, is the HF2 the same as the HF3 and 5?

Dec 25, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #4 of 23
  Thanks. For the HF2, it works for Samsung phone. What about the MacBook Pro or normal desktop computer? Besides the control, is the HF2 the same as the HF3 and 5?

No i dont think so, apple uses a very different plug system compared to the well the rest of the world , desktop computer as long as they didnt use  the dual plug system. HF2 and HF3 is pretty much the same,hf5 is the more upper end model

Dec 25, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #7 of 23
Hf5/2/3 is the same headphone, with different mic/remote configurations. The mc5/2/3 is a lower end model and the er4 versions are the reference grade models (especially the er4s version) with replaceable cables.

Then cables are decent, but will give up eventually. In my case after a few years the rubber us just cracking and exposing the cables.

The microphinics made wear them over ear, found it too much for wearing them down.

Dec 25, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #8 of 23
What are the replaceable cables for the ER4 for? From the photo on the company website, it looks like the ER4-PT has more eartips than the HS-3/5.

I have a MacBook Pro and a Samsung Galaxy Note. Hope to find one that could be used with both devices.

Dec 25, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #9 of 23
The replaceable cables are to use when you need to replace the cable. It usually breaks before the actual iem. If you ask this, you need to read up a lot more before you spend this kind of money.

The tips are exactly the same for the HF and er4 series. Might be more in the original pack but they're all available as after market.

Dec 25, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #11 of 23
You should just avoid the -3 versions that are made for Apple stuff. The -2 versions are for android.

Dec 25, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #12 of 23
Will the -2 version also work on laptop computers such as the MacBook Pro?

If I take the volumne control/mic out of the equation, do all HF-2/3/5 an dER-4PT work on all devices (Galaxy Note 2/3, MacBook Pro, etc.)?

Dec 25, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #13 of 23
  Will the -2 version also work on laptop computers such as the MacBook Pro?

If I take the volumne control/mic out of the equation, do all HF-2/3/5 an dER-4PT work on all devices (Galaxy Note 2/3, MacBook Pro, etc.)?

Yes, the 2-series is compatible with all Apple products, it just won't have volume control.  I'm not sure, don't quote me on this, but I think the 3 would work with Samsung phones, the volume control just won't do anything.  Again, I might be off on this.  

Dec 26, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #14 of 23
They should all provide sound from all devices (there are of course exceptions, but Samsung should be fine). The pin mapping on the trrs jack is the same. It's the button trigger functionality on that differs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back