Which earphone for long flights if comfort and noise isolation are your ONLY concern?
Jun 15, 2007 at 5:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

dcjohn

New Head-Fier
I've read through the forum, I've searched online, I've read all the reviews. I'm now familiar with all the different earphone, canalphones, IEMs, you name it. But one thing I'm still not getting a clear picture of - and perhaps it's because it's just too damn subjective, based on your own ear - which pair of earphones would be best if my interest is:

1. Having them block out noise while flying to Europe (i.e., for 6 to 8 hour flights).

2. Which is the most comfortable, so that I could wear them, say, 4 hours or more at a time without my ears killing me?

I've seen a lot of people mention that the UM1 and UM2 are comfortable, I've heard that the new Shure SE210 might be good to try (that's what the folks at HeadRoom recommended I try). But I still haven't been able to get feedback on comfort from folks who specifically have worn these things for like 4 hours or more at a time - which ones are the most comfortable in that case, or are none of them comfortable for long hauls like that?

Oh, and I've research the noise canceling headsets as well. My biggest concern about those is the size of transporting them, and the size they are on your head - a friend told me he had a hard time sleeping on a plane with them as every time his head slumped left or right it would hit something. I'll still consider the Audio Tehnicas, the new one someone wrote about recently, but again, that's a real headphone, that takes a battery and all, and I'm just not sure I'd use them as much, having to tote them with you and all (though the earphones aren't necessarily that usable either, since I don't think I'd feel safe walking around outside with them, and not being able to hear anything). Anyway, advice would be much appreciated. And, as I mentioned earlier, I've scoured the forum already, so I've done my research before asking :) thanks, John

Jun 15, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #2 of 42
definitely the UM1 or UM2, depending on your budget. I tried the UM1 on and they are the most comfortable IEM ever. so small and lightweight, and the ergonomics and cord design make it fit superbly, where i can barely feel them in my ears. and the UM2 is barely bigger than the UM1 so you will likely experience the same feeling. These will probably be your best bet for comfort, and should block out most, if not all the noise on the airplane with a little music going if you use the comply tips and get a good seal

Jun 15, 2007 at 6:54 PM Post #3 of 42
I wear Etymotics ER6i's for four+ hours at a time on airplanes, and find them very light and comfortable -- and isolating -- using the small Comply foams ... and the Westones, which come with Comply foams, are widely said to be even more comfortable.

Jun 15, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #6 of 42
Comfort and noise isolation are the only concerns? Then if you want to go the full-sized headphone route, go with the Sennheiser PXC450. If you want to go IEMs, I'll leave that to those who know something about them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 15, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #7 of 42
I wear my Future Sonics Atrio M5's for hours on end with great isolation and no real reminder that I actually have IEM's on.

Jun 15, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #8 of 42
Shure E500/SE530 is the way to go... with the olive/black foams. Fantastic comfort and noise isolation for hours on end. To be able to fall asleep with IEMs on and not wake up in pain is a real testament to them.

Jun 15, 2007 at 8:26 PM Post #9 of 42
UM2 all they way... the E500's might be ok too but they leak sound so I have no idea what would leak in as well.

Call earphone solutions and order the UM2 and a Shure fit kit and you will be set!

Jun 15, 2007 at 9:05 PM Post #12 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwirugby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys...

What about someone with one ear with a tiny canal?....a Q-tip fits but only just.

maybe you can get a triflange and cut off the stem and the largest flange
using that tip with my er6i, i can shove the tip and the entire iem in my canal so it looks like just wires are in my ears

Jun 15, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #13 of 42
Custom molded Westones FTW

Jun 15, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #14 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwirugby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys...

What about someone with one ear with a tiny canal?....a Q-tip fits but only just.

use foam tips... they compress to a very, very small size (about the thickness of a q-tip stem so long as the nozzle is smaller... which it is on shure/westone IEMs) and are extremely comfortable, IMO

Jun 16, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #15 of 42
If all you need is something to block out noise so you can rest, you might as well get a earplug like Etymotic ER20.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back