Which earphone for long flights if comfort and noise isolation are your ONLY concern?
Jun 16, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #17 of 42
Thanks everyone for the feedback. In response to the post about why not just got earplugs, I do want these to listen to music as well, it's just that I'm not a super audiophile so I doubt I'm going to notice the nuance some of you would between different earphones. I'm curious about something - I've also read that the UM1 and UM2s are the most comfortable out there. Are the UM2s THAT much more comfortable, to be worth $200 more? And that means, to someone who does like music, but who by no means has the ear that a lot of you guys have for music? I do want something super comfortable for long flights.

Jun 16, 2007 at 3:41 AM Post #18 of 42
U got it wrong, UM1 is more comfortable because its lighter and abit smaller in size. For $200 more U get whole lot more sweetness coming out of it
icon10.gif

Sound wise, UM1 is more veil.. UM2 has more impact!..
I can fall asleep with my UM1 anyday =o

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcjohn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks everyone for the feedback. In response to the post about why not just got earplugs, I do want these to listen to music as well, it's just that I'm not a super audiophile so I doubt I'm going to notice the nuance some of you would between different earphones. I'm curious about something - I've also read that the UM1 and UM2s are the most comfortable out there. Are the UM2s THAT much more comfortable, to be worth $200 more? And that means, to someone who does like music, but who by no means has the ear that a lot of you guys have for music? I do want something super comfortable for long flights.

Jun 16, 2007 at 8:34 AM Post #20 of 42
I'm going to chime in and agree with a previous poster in regards to FutureSonics' Atrio M5. I have mine outfitted with Shure's new black foamies. Comfort? I fall asleep with mine virtually every night. No exaggeration. My wife needs talk radio to go to sleep to. I wear my M5s to isolate from her radio and can play lulling music at very reasonable levels. I've slept through the entire night with them in and when I wake up my ears are not sore at all.

I'm looking forward to using them on my upcoming flight to Chicago.

Jun 16, 2007 at 9:24 PM Post #23 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcjohn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I noticed a lot of people recommending the black foamies. Are these the same black sleeves that I'm looking at in this Shure Fit Kit? (someone else recommend getting the fit kit too, if I go ahead and get the UM1 or the UM2s).

no, those are the soft flex sleeves, you're looking for this
http://www.shure.com/PersonalAudio/P...910_black_foam

Jun 16, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #24 of 42
Ah ok, thanks, but how do you know which size to buy the first time - they sell small, medium and large all separately? I'm leaning heavily towards buying the UM1s, but am wondering do I buy the Shure Fit Kit with it or what in terms of sleeves? Or just rely on the complys that come with it? I'm happy to try the black foamies, but which size to try (and do they work on the UM1s?)? Kind of nuts spending 45 bucks on 3 different sizes... And finally, how long do the sleeves that come with the UM1 last vs the black foamies? I'm thinking I want something super comfortable for long plane trips, then can settle for something maybe less comfortable (but that lasts longer, is more durable) for day to day use.

Jun 16, 2007 at 11:25 PM Post #25 of 42
Shure e500

Jun 16, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #26 of 42
I wear my Ety ER-4P/S for hours at a time, the comfort and isolation are great!

Jun 17, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #28 of 42
Ideally UM2s with UM56s. If not, then just go short complys with the UM2s or UM1s.

Jun 17, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #29 of 42
Okay, I decided to get the UM1s. I initially was considering getting the SE210s instead but saw that NO ONE seemed to have anything to say about them, though they are new. Still, I want comfort, and everyone seemed to agree that the UM1s are comfortable. I'm going to see how the complys feel that come with the UM1, then if I have a problem, I'll branch out and consider trying the new black foamies etc (I'd just rather not spend 15 bucks on an entire pack of black foamies when I don't even know what size I'd need yet, let alone whether I'd like them). I should get the earphones on wednesday, so I'll check back on how I like them. Thanks again everyone. And one final bonus question - how long will the complys last me that are included with the UM1s? How many wears will I get out of each set?

Jun 17, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #30 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodaballo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shure e500

Don't be upset, but I think this reply is kinda ridiculous. He said he is not an audiophile, but you recommend him a headphone that costs about $500 .... and then, you don't even say why you recommend it ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back