Which DJ HeadPhone?:Xone Xd-53, Dj1 Pro, or ATH PRO 700?
Feb 27, 2008 at 3:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ryuker

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for some new DJ headphones and need to know which is best.

The Ultrasone Dj1 pro is getting some great reviews and I really like the hearing protection stuff it has(I have minor tinnitus in one ear). I can also get it for under $110. The regular Dj1 goes for even less than that.

However, I've heard loads of praise of Allen and Heath's Xd-53 headphones. Yet, everyone says they're re-badged ATH-pro 700 so it makes sense to get those right? Does anybody know if Allen and Heath improved on the ATH-pro or made it better for DJ'ing?

Finnally, has anybody used the ATH pro 700 for Dj'ing? It gets great reviews, but I rarely hear of any DJ's using it so I'm at a loss for opinions.

Feb 27, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #3 of 14
Hi,

I strongly recomend the Xone XD-53 headphones. They are by far the best headphones for DJ's on the market. I have been using mine now for 4 months and they take the abuse. I have had the Pro700s and they broke in 2 weeks. Headband cracked. The Xone headphones have a metal headband and a metal plate in the cup where they attach to the headband preventing them from cracking. They are crystal clear and have excellent isolation so you don't have to crank them to drown out the monitor speakers.

And that's my two cents!
smily_headphones1.gif

DJ Justin Sane

Aug 6, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #4 of 14
So I got the A & H headphones today and I've got to say they are extremely comfortable. The sound has great bass that is clean, however besides that the sound doesn't have the clarity on the higher notes as the technics rp-dj1200A. I know many ppl dont respect the technics but I trust my ear. Maybe it is the fact that the technics seal better on the ear since they are supra-aural, and they use the 40mm driver. I always find headphones with the larger divers to have a harsher sound. Also the Build quality of Allen & heath is exceptional and can swivel to many different shapes which is perfect. I thought these would be better than my friends Technics and I want to try the Sennheiser hd-25. Besides that I dont know what to really look into. Any thoughts? Im not into AKG. Maybe ultrasones? They do not have to be DJ headphones. upto $300

Mar 20, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #5 of 14
Can anyone give a comparison of the M Audio Q40s(best bass i've ever heard,so far)to the Allen and Heath XD-53?
popcorn.gif

May 1, 2010 at 7:34 AM Post #7 of 14
clearly anyone with two sences can tell they are nothing alike, they were copied from sony if anything. i wish people would no there stuff before they gave there 2 sences on these blogs. go buy the allen heaths , they are not remakes. you can tell just by looking at them. froget the other blogs or what you have heard.

May 1, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #8 of 14
For dj-ing you need isolation and durability as primarys, then the sound which should be balanced , punchy. If the bass is slow boomy and all over the place you will have difficulties when beat matching , you will match it alright but it will not be pleasant experience. My recommendation would be hd 25 1 , ultrasone dj 1 pro , maybe gmp 8.35d(to large).

May 1, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #10 of 14
Sennheiser HD 25-1 all the way.

Apr 30, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #11 of 14

Quote:
Criteria:
- By budget is < $200
- Strong Bass would be a plus but not necessary (rock/electronic/techno music)
- Good build quality
- For use with an iPod, no amp.
-  A model with a shorter cable length would be ideal... (or coiled, long cloth-type acceptable as well) This is honestly the most important factor.

Models Considering:
- PRO 550 - $154
- PRO 650 - $198
- I like the PRO series because they come with a hard-case, and detachable, coiled cable.
- I don't like the PRO series because they might require an amp; I need HP's for portable use.

- HFI 580 - $123
- HFI 780 - $161
- I like the HFI series because they are easy driven + very high build quality.
- I don't like the HFI series because they come with a long cable -> would require recabling...

I'm looking for short cable length as well as good SQ. I might get an amp to use with these headphones, but most likely these will just be hooked up to my iPod touch. You may suggest different headphones, but keep in mind the cable length/type and price issue.

The most important questions I would like answered, in order, are:
- the difference between 550 and 650 and how well they fit into my criteria. Main concern: How do these perform without an amp?
- the difference between 580 and 780 and how well they fit into my criteria. Main concern: Recabling..

No one is going to help you if you spam in every thread. How old are you?

May 17, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #12 of 14
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=11033333#specifications

best deal ever.

15 years DJing the Los Angeles Undeground and I've seen them and demo'd them all. these are the only ones that are perfect in every way. all the others are a compromise in one way or another...

May 17, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #13 of 14
Sennheiser HD 25 if you can spend <= $175
Beyerdynamic DT 1350 if you can spend $275

May 18, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #14 of 14
I've had the Xd-53 for about two years and they are one of the best DJ cans you can get for the price. Their sound quality is well balanced in the mids and highs and has a nice punchy bass that still allows you to hear all the detail you need to when you're mixing. When I first put them on I thought the sound isolation was a joke but as soon as I hit play the world around me went quiet, these cans were specifically made with the DJ in mind who's at loud clubs, parties, and events. The build quality is just insane, drop'em and throw'em all day long these things just don't break (that doesn't mean you should TRY to break them). Okay, enough praise lets get into the cons I have had with these cans. For me I don't find them that comfortable and after about three hours of continual wear my ears need a break. Also,  I don't know who's head they used to model these off of but it must have been the incredible hulk because I didn't need to adjust them at all, had to have them adjusted to it's smallest settings and my head isn't small. The pads go bad after about 8-12 month but that's not really a con just something that happens when you get leather type ear pads. Only recommendation I have is to use a leather polish that's safe for human skin to keep the pads from going hard and cracking.

Overall I think these are a great pair of DJ headphones but are there better headphones out there, of course there are. My DT 880s make the XD-53 sound like you'd been listening with cloth shoved in your ear but when it comes down to brass tax we're talking about DJ headphones and there's a point when nit-picking sound quality and bass becomes a moot argument when there are three hundred morons packed into a club looking to: A. have a good time, B. get wasted, or C. get laid. Anyways, the Sennheiser HD 25-1 are really good too and have the bonus of you being able to replace everything on them, but I'd still pick the XD-53 because, common, there friggen sick looking cans to DJ with. XD-53 sound run around $150, I bought mine for $160 new on ebay.

Good luck and mix on

Users who are viewing this thread

Back