Which Cans should I get?
Jul 3, 2011 at 3:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

mabobber

New Head-Fier
After reading what seems like hundreds of reviews all over the net, I am still totally impartial as to which cans I should get between the following three.

Bowers and Wilkins - P5 @ $182
http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Headphones

TDK - ST800 @ $118
http://www.tdkperformance.com/en-eu/Headphones/High-Fidelity-Headphones/ST800-High-Fidelity-Headphones/

Shure - SRH840 @ Roughly $130-$150
http://www.shure.com/americas/products/earphones-headphones/headphones/srh840-professional-monitoring-headphones

Consider the following:

-I mostly listen to Electronic.  Massive Attack, Royksopp, Gorillaz, The Presets and Empire of the Sun are among my tops.  However, I do also really enjoy all Rock music, Orchestral and occasionally Hip-Hop.  I love bass, but true bass.  I like to hear different tones of lows.  It doesn't have to be powerful, just clear.  Lastly, they will mostly be used at home hooked into a computer, but from time to time I'd like to be able to use them on the go.  In other words, excessively clunky cans will not do.

I thought it would be important to supply a couple of my favorite sounding songs because I have personally found that some cans sound better to certain people, although I won't claim to understand this beautiful science.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY1KsRqUZGo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVGBXaCjESk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc45TtuVIn4

Reference: I currently own Monster Turbine Copper (In-Ears) and that is all.  I am returning them because they have this stupid Glue issue on the shell, which I have to return them for, for the second time.  I love these earbuds, but jesus they don't stay together!  Before that, I owned the Shure SE210 In-Ears.

I've included the prices because these are the prices I get them for, new, as part of my staff pricing.  So if anyone can lend me a hand, that would be fantastic.  It sounds like I'm asking a lot here, hope I'm not.
wink_face.gif

(PS.- I realize one or more of these may not be considered cans, I just like saying cans.)

Jul 3, 2011 at 4:23 AM Post #2 of 10
i hear the B&W's are over priced, havent heard of the TDK's and the Shure get lots of praise, they sound like they would suit your tastes as they are slightly warm sounding compared to the SRH440. You may need to look at a portable amp for them tho. Good luck in your search.ay need to look at a portable amp for them tho. Good luck in your search.

Jul 3, 2011 at 4:29 AM Post #3 of 10
also, welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet

Jul 3, 2011 at 6:06 AM Post #4 of 10

Quote:
i hear the B&W's are over priced, havent heard of the TDK's and the Shure get lots of praise, they sound like they would suit your tastes as they are slightly warm sounding compared to the SRH440. You may need to look at a portable amp for them tho. Good luck in your search.ay need to look at a portable amp for them tho. Good luck in your search.

I'm kind of leaning towards the TDK's and Shures.  Shures are highly rated but I wonder if that is just because of their reasonable price?  I really like the look of the TDK's as well, and they look small enough to wear outside, but sound comes first.

Jul 3, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #6 of 10
Ended up getting P5's.  The sound was.. bland if you could call it that.  I listened to them for a while and they're starting to sound a lot better.  They'vre extremely light and comfortable with a lightweight cord.  Listening to The Prodigy's The Fat of The Land album and so far these things sound great.  Solid bass, which surprised me.  I am also noticing subtle things I don't with my Monster Turbine Pro Coppers which is great!  I was afraid going from those to headphones would be disappointing as I was so used to that sound, but nope!

I am still curious however, whether the TDK's would compare at close to half the price.

I think what I love most is that they sound very similar when powered by my Zune HD as to when powered by my computer.  What I dislike the most is that the volume/mic attachment on the cord doesn't seem to be compatible with my Zune, understandably.  Luckily I do own an iPhone though so it will surely get at least some use.

Jul 3, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
Ended up getting P5's.  The sound was.. bland if you could call it that.  I listened to them for a while and they're starting to sound a lot better.  They'vre extremely light and comfortable with a lightweight cord.  Listening to The Prodigy's The Fat of The Land album and so far these things sound great.  Solid bass, which surprised me.  I am also noticing subtle things I don't with my Monster Turbine Pro Coppers which is great!  I was afraid going from those to headphones would be disappointing as I was so used to that sound, but nope!

I am still curious however, whether the TDK's would compare at close to half the price.

I think what I love most is that they sound very similar when powered by my Zune HD as to when powered by my computer.  What I dislike the most is that the volume/mic attachment on the cord doesn't seem to be compatible with my Zune, understandably.  Luckily I do own an iPhone though so it will surely get at least some use.

Forgive me if I'm shooting off my mouth, but isn't TDK a not-so-great brand to audiophiles?

Jul 18, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #9 of 10
For electronica, the 840 is great, especially unamped. Ultrasone HFI580's are also a great option, but at the price, the Shures can't be beat.

Jul 18, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #10 of 10
I prefer the P5's at this point simply because I am not the biggest fan of the feel of IEM's.  But I now miss them when I'm jogging and doing that kind of stuff.  If you're in the market for a pair of IEM's and can spend a little more, the Pro Coppers are simply astounding and shouldn't be ignored, but I really don't see either as a replacement for the other.  The Pro Coppers did have a stronger base however, with the air-tight seal deep in your ear and all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back