which Beyer is best for trance? the dt150, dt531/440, or dt990?
Jul 30, 2010 at 7:42 AM Post #31 of 41

Quote:
The DT150 is exactly what you are looking for.  With the 990, you will probably find the highs a bit overwhelming if you're trying to keep away from that.  The 150 has plenty of tight, punchy bass, but also has more mids than the 770/990.

Seconded, I love my DT150's. Their midrange (especially if you swap out the stock pleather pads to the velours) is easily the best i've heard over all the Beyers ive tried - the DT770 and DT880 were not visceral enough to my liking, and the DT150 remedies that.

Aug 3, 2010 at 4:06 AM Post #34 of 41

Quote:
great feedback : ) but does the dt440 sound anything like the dt531? Seems like everyone really likes the 531... 

THe DT531 is a very good, capable phone and was a great price. I've heard them and found them to be pretty much an open version of the DT250. But it's elevated status has more to do with its unavailability than ultimate awesomeness.

No point in asking for comparos, you'd only find one 2nd hand if you're lucky, and prices are inflated because of the lack of them and the hype.

Aug 3, 2010 at 5:00 AM Post #35 of 41
I have both DT150 and DT250/250 and in different ways both are good for trance.

DT150 have a big bass and sound relatively good without an amp but I never use them for too long because:
- they're heavy and not comfortable for long sessions, plus you have to adjust them right to get the pads to seal around your ears.
- the bass gives too much workout to my ears, I need a long break after an hour or so.

DT250/250 sound dull without an amp, even with an amp the sound is less exciting than DT150 but it grows a lot on you over time to the point I always prefer them now. If your ears fit like mine do they're very comfortable, I listen to them all day long with very short breaks.

That being said I never tried to improve the comfort of DT150. I'm sure that with the velvet pads, the coiled cord and a softer headband material the comfort would be significantly better. That and listening at lower volumes... but it's so tempting to pump up that big bass!

Aug 17, 2010 at 7:24 AM Post #37 of 41
I find mine aren't really as amp dependent as most of my other headphones.  They sound great out of my tube amp, but they also sound good out of a home theatre receiver, my custom SS amp, whatever.

Aug 24, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #39 of 41
my dt150s just arrived about an hour ago and so far ive only been playin it through my ipod, im enjoying the clarity of the sound but the bass doesnt really sound too satisfying, im just guessing an ipod isnt the best source for driving these : P anywho, what kind of amp would be better for these a SS or tube? i mostly hear tubed, my range is around $150

Aug 26, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #40 of 41
im kinda growing concerned here.... these headphones dont really seem to play at high volumes and the bass isnt really impressive... do these really need an amp to perform at steller levels? Cause it really seems as if ive heard better comin out of cheap headphones. Whats wrong here?

Aug 26, 2010 at 8:50 AM Post #41 of 41
What source are you using now?  I find the DT150 to be one of my most bass-capable headphones.  Using sinegen, it still has plenty of juice down at 25-30hz.

Out of my Creative Zen Micro, I get a lot less punch but the bass is still somewhat audible.  Still, they are 150 ohms, so a portable player isn't the best way to get that slam going.

Is your iPod locked for high volume output?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back