which Beyer is best for trance? the dt150, dt531/440, or dt990?
Jul 25, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #16 of 41
I listen to a lot of electronic music - chillout, IDM, ambient, some trance/psytrance - and my DT990/600 are wonderful with the genre!  Of course my Beyers also happen to be my fav. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 26, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #17 of 41
Ultrasone HFi-780 would be a great choice for trance, it does improved after you burn it in. I so I totally agree with the HFI-780s being your best bet. For me the HFI-780 bass didnt over do the other sounds and was very good, but this was after I had 300+ hours on them, I lost count over the two years time of owning them before I sold them last week.  They dont have to be amped and will run just fine out your sound card if your sound card dont have a built in amp or if you dont have a standalone amp but they do improve with being amped..

When I had mine I listened to the same exact of music warrior05 listened to they will give you the bass you want. Them being  $150ish new on ebay as some one mention is a good deal.

Jul 26, 2010 at 6:10 AM Post #18 of 41

Quote:
great feedback : ) but does the dt440 sound anything like the dt531? Seems like everyone really likes the 531...

Never heared them, but I don't think the DT440 is very similar to the DT531. The 531's successor is rather the DT250 (250 ohm version)...

Jul 26, 2010 at 6:23 AM Post #19 of 41
I'd also go with ultrasones (I found hfi680s very good for post-rock), but if you really want to go with beyer, I'd recommend the dt150s.

Jul 26, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #20 of 41
in case i decide to buy an amp later... which cans will make me happy without one and even happier with it, and do amps always make headphones sound better? also, what is better, lower or higher impendance?

it seems so far the ultrasones have been recommended the most and the 990/150's equally, from everything ive read this is my interpretation of things (at least with the beyers).

dt990 - bright, big soundstage all around good when amped?

dt150 - big bass, and analytical since they are studiophones?

dt770 - bass monsters?

dt440 - better for all around listening, sorta groovy feeling?

^^^ please edit and correct me if you please, give me your take. This is just what ive sorta absorbed from the past couple days, i could be way off heh.. could you guys describe each of these describing the bass, mids, and highs for each? with and without an amp?

Jul 26, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #21 of 41
in case i decide to buy an amp later... which cans will make me happy without one and even happier with it, and do amps always make headphones sound better? also, what is better, lower or higher impendance?

it seems so far the ultrasones have been recommended the most and the 990/150's equally, from everything ive read this is my interpretation of things (at least with the beyers).

dt770 - bass monsters?

^^^ please edit and correct me if you please, give me your take. This is just what ive sorta absorbed from the past couple days, i could be way off heh.. could you guys describe each of these describing the bass, mids, and highs for each? with and without an amp?

Jul 26, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #23 of 41

Quote:

dt770 - bass monsters?

I would say the 990s pretty much require an amp, one would be optional for the 150 or 770/pro 80.

You've pretty much nailed the sound of the 990.  They are pretty much my best all-rounders.

The DT150 is clear and relatively balanced, but I would never call them analytical.  Not next to some of the other cans I have.  They are also tons of fun, and very musical.

The DT770 Pros are bass monsters (as are the 990 Pros).  The 770/Pro 80 are a bit famous as the super bass cannons, but the higher impedance 770 premiums are supposed to be significantly more balanced.

I know nothing about the 440s.

Jul 26, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #24 of 41
interesting, interesting, as of right now im leaning most towards the dt150, i want my music to be fun and non fatiguing that i can enjoy for hours on end, bass is really important to me and i want it to be strong and spot on, not bloated or exaggerated plus i really dig the industrial type design : D to be honest though, what is more fun, the 150 or the 990?

Jul 26, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #25 of 41
The ultrasones should be considered, but you must realize they are not at all comfy even though they have good bass response.
Beyers is where it's at because of the uber comfort and clarity they offer. 

If you live in the US, you should go check out a local guitar center and test out the DT770's DT990's and the DT880's. You might get a better understanding of which one would suit your taste. 

Jul 26, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #26 of 41
I love TRANCE !!! (Hell its my profile name, lol). I have tried several Beyers and Ultrasones, overall I prefer beyer models for trance. I myself use DT990 600ohm (these need a good amp) but they sound brilliant for trance! Very punchy bass and smooth treble, nothing beats them in my opinion. The DT770 lacks the soundstage and bass is not perfect for trance, while the DT880 also lacks bass and doesn't sound as intimate. If you want hard hitting bass that doesn't sound boomy, the DT990 is the phone you will want.

Also like nitro says, Beyer are far more comfy than Ultrasone.

Jul 30, 2010 at 7:33 AM Post #30 of 41

Quote:
warmly glowing tubes... i think i need to be educated here haha

Most current amplifiers are solid state, which means the amplification is done by transistors.  It's a bit cheaper to get that amplification, and they tend to have a very low noise floor (no distortion).

The only way to do that decades ago was through electron tubes, which in the headphone amp world, are still able to deliver an impressively high current into hard-to-drive headphones.  They tend to add a bit of noise to the signal, but that slight distortion is appealing for some headphones, especially ones like the DT990.

There are others who can explain this better, but there's no question that the 990s sound totally sweet on a tube amp.  It helps bring out the bass, the right tubes can help emphasize the midrange, and tame that treble a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back