Which are the current Singlepower models?
May 12, 2007 at 10:03 AM Post #151 of 167
Added the by me long neglected Singlepower Concerto ES.

I will add the Square Wave as soon as the first production models are out.

As of now, I will not be able to follow the introduction of new models as close as I have done before. Please PM or mail me to get a new model on the list faster.

Aug 18, 2007 at 7:37 AM Post #155 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by penger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been reading around and there seems to be a Singlepower Extreme Platinum SLAM or was it a Extreme SLAM in existence.

I've not heard that one. What makes it a SLAM over a Platinum or stock Extreme?

Aug 18, 2007 at 3:40 PM Post #157 of 167
I thought SLAM had something to do with the input tubes used?

Aug 18, 2007 at 3:55 PM Post #158 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snacks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone have pictures or information on the ES-1?

It's frustrating, because nothing is mentioned on either website, Moon, nor Singlepower (especially), or maybe I missed it.

Also, has anyone heard mention of a SS or Hybrid?

Any help at this point would be appreciated, thanks.

I have been using the Solid State Singlepower Squarewave-XL (balanced version) for the last 2-3 months. it is a very nice amp. it is desk top in size and I have really enjoyed it alot. I have been using the HD650 with balanced Singlepower cable and Sony SCD-1 with Audioquest Cheetah cables.
Other news is I have a Maestro ZR-XLR with outboard power supply and pretty much every bell and whistle you can get in it. I am going to use 6sn7 input and probably 6bl7 output tubes to start. May go with all 6sn7s though. Should be right up there very close to what my SDS-XLR was for the phones. But i am mainly using it for a preamp in my speaker system. Cant wait!

Aug 18, 2007 at 4:31 PM Post #159 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by penger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been reading around and there seems to be a Singlepower Extreme Platinum SLAM or was it a Extreme SLAM in existence.

You are right. And it looks like a Supra-XLR with Extreme Platinum features. But to know for sure, we need the owner to describe the circuitry a bit more in detail: Is it essentially a Supra circuit, or an Extreme? Those caps speak for a Supra.

Whether one could add the SE or not, I suppose depends on if the plate voltage, and bias, of the output tubes can be adjusted, or are pre-adjusted differently to standard Singlepower operation. To my knowledge, till now, the SE label has been used for MPX3 amps which have manual and automatic adjusting of the parameters to be able to also run 6BL7GTB and 6BX7GT optimally.

IMHO, it would be a SLAM amp if it has factory installed 5687 input tube(s). Since the introduction of adapters, most Singlepower amps can be "SLAM amplifiers". I think it only makes sense to add SLAM to a model name if it has a permanent 5687 noval input.

For the rest it looks like another of those over-the-top, mouth watering creations.
biggrin.gif
I wouldn't say no to one.
600smile.gif
I wish him thousands of hours of SQ bliss.
smily_headphones1.gif

I like the idea of trying driving high efficient speakers via the added binding posts. I think it would be nice if it got a name reflecting that. I suppose this makes this Singlepower revolutionary.

EDIT. To be a bit more clear: The original SLAM amps were PPX and MPX3 amps with factory installed 5787 output tube sockets, and usually a "texture" adjuster. AFAIK, these are still offered, but today I guess most use adapters instead and then possibly as drivers as well. I think the purest definition of the SLAM option is simply the use of the 5687 tube

Aug 18, 2007 at 4:59 PM Post #160 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are right. And it looks like a Supra-XLR with Extreme Platinum features. But to know for sure, we need the owner to describe the circuitry a bit more in detail: Is it essentially a Supra circuit, or an Extreme? Those caps speak for a Supra.

Whether one could add the SE or not, I suppose depends on if the plate voltage, and bias, of the output tubes can be adjusted, or are pre-adjusted differently to standard Singlepower operation. To my knowledge, till now, the SE label has been used for MPX3 amps which have manual and automatic adjusting of the parameters to be able to also run 6BL7GTB and 6BX7GT optimally.

IMHO, it would be a SLAM amp if it has factory installed 5687 input tube(s). Since the introduction of adapters, most Singlepower amps can be "SLAM amplifiers". I think it only makes sense to add SLAM to a model name if it has a permanent 5687 noval input.

For the rest it looks like another of those over-the-top, mouth watering creations.
biggrin.gif
I wouldn't say no to one.
600smile.gif
I wish him thousands of hours of SQ bliss.
smily_headphones1.gif

I like the idea of trying driving high efficient speakers via the added binding posts. I think it would be nice if it got a name reflecting that. I suppose this makes this Singlepower revolutionary.

When referring to the Extreme models, as I understand it, Slam denotes a 14 amp transformer so you can use 6528s. Btw 5687s are primarily output tubes. You can use them for input, but they're really not very good, on any Singlepower amp. Highly microphonic IME.

Aug 18, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #161 of 167
As I understand it, the Extreme SLAM is an i termediate model of sorts. Some of the features that I remember off the top of my head, include a 14 amp transformer, and a texture control. There may have been more, so someone might need to check.

That said I wouldn't use a 5687 in an extreme on the output position as the heater current draw is much higher for the 6080, 5998, 6as7g, etc... However, I do not agree with Akatriel that the 5687s are poor output tubes. They provide a much more intimate experience, which is different than the 6as7g, 6080, 6bl7/6bx7, 6sn7 type of presentations, but I wouldn't call it bad sounding at all.

Aug 18, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #162 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As I understand it, the Extreme SLAM is an i termediate model of sorts. Some of the features that I remember off the top of my head, include a 14 amp transformer, and a texture control. There may have been more, so someone might need to check.

That said I wouldn't use a 5687 in an extreme on the output position as the heater current draw is much higher for the 6080, 5998, 6as7g, etc... However, I do not agree with Akatriel that the 5687s are poor output tubes. They provide a much more intimate experience, which is different than the 6as7g, 6080, 6bl7/6bx7, 6sn7 type of presentations, but I wouldn't call it bad sounding at all.

Whaa? I think you misunderstood me. Either I wasn't clear or you didnt read carefully hehe.

First of all I would never use a 5687 as an output tube for an extreme. I'm not sure how you would even physically do it, and for reasons you already stated its a bad idea.

Also, I think that the 5687 is an excellent OUTPUT tube for the the non-extreme amps. But I dont think it is a very good input/driver/gain tube for any of the Singlepower amps, which is well what I wrote.

Aug 18, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #163 of 167
I guess I did misunderstand and do agree that they are very mediocre gain tubes. That said, I have not experienced the issues with micrphonics that you have with the 5687s.

Aug 19, 2007 at 10:56 AM Post #164 of 167
Akathriel, Do you know if the amp has some kind of manual bias adjustments?

The SLAM feature is still a bit unclear I think. I have edit my post #159.

Aug 19, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #165 of 167
On the Extreme SLAM there is no manual bias adjustment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back