Which are the current Singlepower models?
Nov 17, 2005 at 1:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 167

Glod

1000+ Head-Fier
[size=small]I am sorry to have to say, that this post will not be updated anymore. For the last update see the footnotes.

[size=x-small]For input on the content, please e-mail me with suggestions [/size]
[/size]

Since there has been so much written about the latest top-end Singlepower amps lately, and that there seems to have been little clarification the last 12 months of what the SP product assortiment actually comprises, I thought it might be worth an exclusive thread. To keep in mind here is that probably any of these can be further modified with options, thought of, or not, by SP.

Now, I need you to correct me here. Does this describe what Mikhail has on offer as identifieable models at the moment?

[size=small]- PPX3

- PPX3-6SN7

- PPX3 SLAM*

- PPX3-6SN7 SLAM*[/size] (w/ 6SN7 driver)

[size=small]- PPX3-6SN7 SLAM* Balanced[/size]

[size=small]- Singlepower Mini[/size] - (A "transportable" valve amplifier with two 5703 input and four 5987 output tubes. The amp has an external PSU derived from the ES-1 with the Extreme's 8A transformer).

[size=small]- Singlepower Extreme[/size] (A new, December 2006, circuit topology housed in a PPX chassis, featuring 6080 or 5998 out-put tubes. Available to non-Head-Fi'ers January 15, 2007. With different SP socket adapters**, several other driver inputs are possible: 6SL7, 6188 and 6SU7GTY; with ECC type 1 adapter: the 12AT7, 12AU7, 5814, 5965, 6414, 6829, and 7062; with ECC type 2: the 6ES8, 6DJ8, 6922; 6DJ4, 6DJ8, ECC189, ECC88, E88CC and the Osram PCC88. Another SP adapter will allow for the 5687, ECC182 and the 7119. Another adapter for the 6CG7/6FQ7 and 6GU7, and yet another for the 6350 and 6463.)

[size=small]- MPX3-6CG7[/size]

[size=small]- MPX3[/size]

[size=small]- MPX3 SLAM*[/size]

[size=small]- Singlepower Extreme Platinum[/size] [size=x-small](An upgrade of SP Extreme with a Plitron transformer, Black Gate cathode capacitors and Black Gate power capacitors.)[/size]

[size=small]- Supra[/size]

[size=small]- Supra-X[/size] (one-off, R10 voiced, SS-chassis with some SDS features)

-[size=small] Supra 392[/size] (one-off, optimized for 6BX7GT and 6BL7GT out-put tubes)

[size=small]- MPX3 SLAM* SE[/size](The standard MPX3 SLAM SE includes both a method of adjustment for the plate voltage and the current biasing of the output tubes to get optimal driving conditions with tubes like 5687, 6SN7, 6BL7GT, 6BX7GT et cetera. The voltage is controlled by a switch. The bias is adjusted automatically in the circuit depending on the tube in place. A bias switch is optional. The gain socket is rebiased for higher current delivery than a standard MPX3. The MPX3 SLAM SE package includes a Supra transformer with some Supra power filtration features, stepped attentuator, some circuit adjustments, SLAM adaptors and Black Gate cathode capacitors.

[size=small]- MPX3 Balanced[/size][size=x-small] (in a Supra chassis)[/size]

[size=small]- Supra-XLR [/size](balanced, one-box-chassis)

[size=small]- Maestro ZR

- SDS[/size] i.e. Super Duper Supra (extensively upgraded Supra with significantly modified circuit topology)

[size=small]- The Dragon[/size] (could be called a "SP Extreme SE-2". Exclusive (Extreme influenced) circuit with a two stage gain design and external PSU with two 20A transformers. The amp is housed in "SDS-T" boxes. Link.)

[size=small]- Supra Extreme XLR[/size] (Two transformers. This first made has Black Gate output capacitors and the Multi Stage Filtration)

[size=small]- SDS-T [/size](with external tube-rectified PSU. Housed in two narrow and deep chassis)

[size=small]- Maestro XLR[/size] (balanced in a one-box-chassis)

[size=small]- Maestro Aurum XLR [/size](Maestro-XLR with gold-plated chassis)

[size=small]- ES-1[/size] (Electrostatic tube amp. Balanced & single ended with external PSU)

[size=small]- SDS XLR Accent[/size] (balanced with external PSU in two standard sized Maestro chassis)

[size=small]- SDS XLR Accent T[/size] (balanced with illuminated-tube rectified PSU in two standard sized Maestro chassis)

[size=small]- Concerto ES[/size] (A Maestro ZR and ES-1 in one chassis with external, tube rectified, PSU)

[size=small]- SS1 XLR[/size] (Balanced solid state amp with extrenal PSU. It has two independent circuits: A reference, and a second with various adjustable parameters. It is housed in two large Maestro chassis.

[size=small]- SDS XLR[/size] (balanced with external PSU. In two large Maestro chassis, extensive pre-amp functions and switch-able sound tuning options)

Models in bold are models officially presented by Singlepower.

[size=x-small]*SLAM designation: The SLAM feature has developed from a factory installed (special order, usually out-put) tube option to a user changeable feature by means of adapter(s), available from SP. The SLAM feature is not limited to the PPX3 and the MPX3 models. See also footnote **. A permanent SLAM (5687 tube) option can still be ordered and usually includes capacitor upgrades, minor circuitry adjustments and a feedback adjuster on the front panel for changing the "texture" of the sound.

**Singlepower offers a variaty of socket adapters for users to be able to use several other different tubes than was originally thought of; not only with pin-out adaptation, but when necessary, also with compensating networks built in. The sockets can be used with most of the Singlepower amplifiers, provided the transformer and the circuit are capable of a possible extra load, eg. a higher filament power demand.
[/size]

[size=xx-small]Significant edits[/size]

[size=xx-small]1st EDIT: Added SDS-XLR Accent T (two standard Maestro chassis, illuminated-tube rectified PSU)

2nd EDIT: Supra-X, Maestro Aurum and SDS-XLR (with large Maestro chassis) added. Maestro/SDS-XLR omited.

3rd EDIT: Changed the Maestro Aurum to Maestro Aurum XLR.

4th EDIT: Pre-production prototype ES-1 added.

5th EDIT: Made the base models, which all other models are based on (except the ES-1), in bold font.

6th EDIT: Added a description to the Supra SDS. Descriptions made clearer.

7th EDIT: Removed "prototype" description of the ES-1 which now is in production.

8th EDIT: Added the Supra 392: A one-off, 6BX7GT and 6BL7GT out-put tubes optimized Supra.

9th EDIT: Added the MPX3 SLAM SE.

10th EDIT: Added the balanced MPX3.

11th EDIT: Added explaination to the SLAM option.

12th EDIT: Dec 12th, 2006. Added the entirely new, by the factory officially presented, models Singlepower Extreme and Singlepower Extreme Platinum. Also added is the footnote "**" describing the different tube options with OEM octal sockets by means of SP adapters.

13th EDIT: Dec 21st, 2006. Changed the order in the list of the SP Extreme Platinum to after MPX SLAM. For further information about this ordinal scale see post #4.

14th EDIT: Dec 28th, 2006. Added the balanced PPX3-6SN7 SLAM. Presented at a meet some time ago. It, or another, was later up for auction on e*ay. Note: Not all blanced PPX are necessarily 6SN7 driver versions.

15th EDIT: Jan 1st, 2007. Changed the order to better reflect price and complexity. Added the explanation of the "texture" adjuster on some permanent SLAM featured amplifiers. SDS models have dropped the Supra in front of the names. More elaborate explaination of the SE feature.

16th EDIT: Jan 24th, 2007. Added Supra Extreme XLR

17th EDIT: Jan 31st, 2007. Moved the Supra Extreme XLR "above" the SDS, due to it's greater complexity and the price of this first made.

18th EDIT: Feb 19th, 2007. Added The Dragon.

19th EDIT: April 25th, 2007. Added the SP Mini.

20th EDIT: May 12th, 2007. Added the Concerto ES.

21st EDIT: May 18th, 2007. Added the SS1.

22nd EDIT: November 29th 2007. Changed the SS1 to SS1 XLR[/size]

I have no affiliation with Singlepower Audio Inc.
I maintain no contact with them in any way.

Nov 17, 2005 at 1:40 PM Post #2 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glod
Since there has been so much written about the latest top-end Singlepower amps lately, and that there seems to have been little clarification the last 12 months of what the SP product assortiment actually comprises, I thought it might be worth an exclusive thread. To keep in mind here is that probably any of these can be further modified with options, thought of, or not, by SP.

Now, I need you to correct me here. Does this describe what Mikhail has on offer as identifieable models at the moment?

PPX3
PPX3-6SN7
PPX3 SLAM
PPX3-6SN7 SLAM (w/6SN7 driver)
MPX3-6CG7
MPX3
MPX3 SLAM
Supra
Supra XLR (balanced, one-box-chassis)
Maestro ZR
Supra SDS
Supra SDS-T (two-box, tube-rectification)
Maestro-XLR (balanced, one-box-chassis)
Supra SDS-XLR (two standard "Maestro" cabinets)
Maestro/SDS-XLR (two large Maestro cabinets, extensive pre-amp functions)

I think I lost it already around the Supra XLR, didn´t I?
tongue.gif

That was a good job ..... I think you hit them all except that one off Supra-X thats now residing at Singlepower East.
wink.gif

Nov 17, 2005 at 2:30 PM Post #3 of 167
Also SDS-XLR Accent T (2 box,standard Maestro size chassis,illuminated tube ps)

SACD Lover, what's this - 'Next project? The "HEADPHONE ENGINE"'

Nov 17, 2005 at 2:54 PM Post #4 of 167
It (yours
tongue.gif
) is added Rob_N.

I should also add that the order of the amps is only based on price and technical complexity considerations. Just let me know if the order should be different.

Nov 17, 2005 at 3:23 PM Post #5 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
That was a good job ..... I think you hit them all except that one off Supra-X thats now residing at Singlepower East.
wink.gif

Thanks!

Right, that Supra-X confused me earlier. What is it? What are the mod´s? I think you wrote somewhere it is a, for R10 tuned, bass-reinforced, SS-chassis Supra (note not a SDS)? It looks like it is "just" a Supra with modifications.
evil_smiley.gif

Question sacd lover: The SDS is basically a Supra, which has had many of the components upgraded, but not really anything extra added, isn’t it?

Nov 17, 2005 at 3:37 PM Post #7 of 167
What about that gold plated Maestro?
icon10.gif

Nov 17, 2005 at 3:53 PM Post #8 of 167
There are four base models:

PPX-3
MPX-3
Supra
Maestro ZR

The first three are primarily headphone amps (with preamp capability). There are circuit differences in the Maestro ZR that optimize it as a preamp (with headphone amp capability).

The tube used on the PPX-3 is the 6CG7, while the rest use the 6SN7. However, a PPX can be built for the 6SN7, and the other amps can be built for the 6CG7.

Any of these amps can be built as SLAM models. This substitutes the 5687 output tube for the 6CG7 or 6SN7. Output power is increased, but tube-rolling options are reduced, and there may be a slight loss in fine detail/spaciousness. I'm heavily into the 6SN7 sound, myself.

The higher-end amps can be built as either one or two-box units. They can also use either tube or solid-state rectification as requested. The Accent-T is a two-box tube-rectified unit.

The XLR designation indicates a balanced unit (essentially two amps in one chassis). Any of the amps can be built balanced.

The SDS is basically a Supra with all the trimmings. Lots of trimmings.

I think we can add the "Aurum" designation as well, if you insist on 24 carat gold plating for your amp. Incidentally, the gold plating makes an excellent ground plane that will not oxidize the way that copper or silver can.

Within each of these general designations, there are a number of options that are available for each amp. These can be used to tune an amp for best performance with a particular headphone, or simply to tune it to a user's individual preferences.

Supra-X is a one-off experimental amp that Mikhail built a couple of years ago. It has elements of the SDS, but not all of the SDS upgrades.

Nov 17, 2005 at 4:05 PM Post #9 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23
What about the Supra and Maestro SLAM?

Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
What about that gold plated Maestro?
icon10.gif

Well - that is the thing if you try to categorize the Singlepowers in discrete models. Models can almost completely overlap each other and there are virtually thousands of thinkable models possible, if one play around with the options from SP and perhaps personal suggestions to technical solutions. But an amp with details mentioned by SP as options, like capacitor upgrades, pre-out, stepped attenuators, Rhodium RCA´s, et cetera, does not justify the epithet Model IMHO.

The Maestro Aurum will remain "just" a Maestro-XLR with gold plate option in my book. Nothing significantly technical, to my (our) knowledge, has been altered.

Has there been a SLAM version of a Supra or Maestro ZR build yet? If that is the case, they should be considered different models.

Nov 17, 2005 at 4:29 PM Post #10 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
I think we can add the "Aurum" designation as well, if you insist on 24 carat gold plating for your amp. Incidentally, the gold plating makes an excellent ground plane that will not oxidize the way that copper or silver can.

You can have different amounts of gold plating 1oz,2oz,4oz depending on how much you can afford/want to spend
icon10.gif

BTW Sleestack also has an SDS-XLR Accent T

Are we restricting this list to headamps only?

Nov 17, 2005 at 4:43 PM Post #11 of 167
Thanks Hirsch for this elaborate info! I’d hoped you would chime in here
icon10.gif

Well, that’s it then: Four basic official models

PPX3
MPX3
Supra
Maestro ZR

Hmm - somehow I don’t feel content, being restricted to only use these.

Take the Maestro/SDS-XLR: It is not just a Maestro! It has been so modified that even though it is build around Maestro and Supra technologies, it is so much more than just the sum of it´s components. Besides, if one says Maestro/SDS-XLR, interested would know immediately what is talked about. You could say a Super sized, switchable balanced/un-balanced Maestro topology with SDS components and external SS rectified PSU, but well, that is quite a mouthful...

I think these unofficial model designations are pretty handy, actually
eggosmile.gif

BTW. That Supra-X is a tricky box to squeeze in somewhere among the others
icon10.gif
. I am still not convinced it can be called a model. But if major components, like the PS and/or the buffer caps are different from the stock Supra, I would.

Nov 17, 2005 at 4:53 PM Post #12 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob N
You can have different amounts of gold plating 1oz,2oz,4oz depending on how much you can afford/want to spend
icon10.gif

BTW Sleestack also has an SDS-XLR Accent T

Are we restricting this list to headamps only?

All right there are two of them. The survival of the species is secured
600smile.gif

As to other Singlepower products. To be honest, I am not aware of anything else than some cables, a switch-box and some rumours. To me, it just started to get difficult to get a grasp on all the SP headphone amps. I just looked for a simple overview.

I have no affiliation to Singlepower Audio Inc. more than that I am an owner of one of their products

Nov 17, 2005 at 5:00 PM Post #13 of 167
Quote:

..."The Maestro Aurum will remain "just" a Maestro-XLR with gold plate option in my book. Nothing significantly technical, to my (our) knowledge, has been altered."...

Wait a minute. Doesn’t gold have a high heat dispersion coefficient? That would make that plating not only something esthetical, but also something which has a direct technical application. On the other hand: That torodial transformer is probably so efficient that its produced heat would be negligible. Is there something else cooking inside?

Nov 17, 2005 at 5:02 PM Post #14 of 167
Quote:

Well, that’s it then: Four basic official models

PPX3
MPX3
Supra
Maestro ZR

Hmm - somehow I don’t feel content, being restricted to only use these.

No, the other model designations are official model designations. The SLAM, XLR, SDS, etc. are all models. However, each of these is based on one of the four primary amps, and I was trying to show some of the relationships.

Incidentally, the SDS designation is specific to the Supra only.

Nov 17, 2005 at 5:20 PM Post #15 of 167
Thanks for this thread Glod, and for all the info being contributed. I keep thinking that we should ask Mikhail to update his website to get a little bit more up to date.

What about the balanced MPX3 I have heard rumored a couple of times. Don't know if it is real at all or what it would look like--chassis, tube complement, etc.--but I have been meaning to ask about it. Anybody know anything?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back