Which Amps to Consider for Grado SR-325i ?
Nov 17, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #16 of 38
Quote:
It's a little above your budget, but the Headamp GS-1 was a pretty awesome pairing with my SR225i.  If you're handy around a soldering iron and enclosures, I'd see how much a 3-channel beta22 build would run you.

Beta 22 amp board kit: http://glassjaraudio.com/product.sc?productId=5
Sigma 22 kit: http://glassjaraudio.com/product.sc;jsessionid=EB68BFDC34CA8C4210C0F279DC789DD3.qscstrfrnt02?productId=3

Do you know which enclosures are being used with these kits?

Nov 17, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #18 of 38
whats the most significant difference between the LD I+ and the asgard because a lot of people are recommending me to use Schitt amps for my grados.

Quote:
I had been using a LD I+ for SR225i and now using an Asgard and Grado PS500, both of which aren't fully burned in. Very happy with both amps. With the LD I+ on low gain setting, the volume knob never passes the 12 o'clock position. Same with the Asgard. Both are plenty loud and clear for my taste.

Nov 18, 2011 at 6:27 AM Post #19 of 38
i use my WA6SE with my grados and it powers them quite nicely 

Nov 18, 2011 at 6:44 AM Post #20 of 38
I thought they sounded ok with the Burson amp, but I could not listen to them for more than an hour without becoming fatigued, I would like to try them again on my new gear but I have so many other headphones I want first
biggrin.gif

Nov 18, 2011 at 6:52 AM Post #21 of 38

Quote:
I thought they sounded ok with the Burson amp, but I could not listen to them for more than an hour without becoming fatigued, I would like to try them again on my new gear but I have so many other headphones I want first
biggrin.gif

Burson is a nice blend with the 325i ~ it's warm signature takes the edge off, and it makes them sound a little
less manic with their unique PRAT.

Violectric range too is most excellent. Just enjoying some Samuel Barber right now on the V200!

Nov 18, 2011 at 7:22 AM Post #22 of 38
anyone have any experience with a plain old Woo Audio WA6 driving Grados?

Maybe people like Grados with old Integrated Amplifiers because the headphone jacks usually have a very high output impedance?

Nov 18, 2011 at 7:47 AM Post #23 of 38

Quote:
anyone have any experience with a plain old Woo Audio WA6 driving Grados?

Maybe people like Grados with old Integrated Amplifiers because the headphone jacks usually have a very high output impedance?

Jump on the Woo Audio thread, it's getting at least 20-30 entries per day.

I'd imagine it's a nice match considering Woo themselves only sell
Grado for dynamic headphones.

Nov 18, 2011 at 8:16 AM Post #24 of 38

Quote:
Jump on the Woo Audio thread, it's getting at least 20-30 entries per day.

I'd imagine it's a nice match considering Woo themselves only sell
Grado for dynamic headphones.

+1 

join the party!

beerchug.gif

Nov 18, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #25 of 38

Quote:
Do you know which enclosures are being used with these kits?

Last time I looked, Jeff doesn't sell any enclosures with his kits from Glass Jar Audio.

Nov 18, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #26 of 38
One of the best "wire with gain"  headamps that pairs up very well with Grados is the Gilmore Lite.
It has been recently discontinued to make way for the more expensive, improved Headamp GS-1.
The Lite can regularly be found used for about $250 on Head-Fi.

I have this setup and it is one of the best low buck dynamic rigs that I have heard.
For comparison I also have a LD-III and used to own the M-Stage.
Both are decent amps, but again the Gilmore Lite is superb with Grados.
Just my 2cents.

Nov 19, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #27 of 38
 Tube amps are always good for Grados, and I hear nothing but good things about the little dot amps. You'll want a low output impedance as the Grados are incredibly easy to drive.

Nov 19, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #28 of 38

I've heard nothing but good things about Ray Samuel's 'Raptor' and the RS1 ~ surely it would hardly be excruciating with the 325i/s.

Expensive yes and yet obtainable by anyone who's prepared to put aside the pennies.

Nov 19, 2011 at 8:45 AM Post #30 of 38
I have SR325i with LD I+ (Telefunken 6AK5W and stock opamp) and it sounds very good. Not fatiguing and not harsh at all, like some people say the SR325i can be with the wrong amp. The LD I+ works great, never had any problems with it. But you should know many people say it sounds great only with low impedance headphones since it doesn't power high impedance headphones very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back