Which Amps to Consider for Grado SR-325i ?
Nov 19, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #31 of 38
Quote:
One of the best "wire with gain"  headamps that pairs up very well with Grados is the Gilmore Lite.
It has been recently discontinued to make way for the more expensive, improved Headamp GS-1.
The Lite can regularly be found used for about $250 on Head-Fi.

I have this setup and it is one of the best low buck dynamic rigs that I have heard.
For comparison I also have a LD-III and used to own the M-Stage.
Both are decent amps, but again the Gilmore Lite is superb with Grados.
Just my 2cents.

The Gilmore Lite was a very affordable DynaLo design but sadly discontinued by HeadAmp and replaced by their much more expensive GS-1.

After digging around I found another affordable DynaLo still being manufactured - the Sheer Audio HA-006+ available in two flavours.  Dr. Kevin Gilmore, who designed the original DynaLo specifically for Grados, owns one and said, "I like it a lot."  Hmmm...

Nov 19, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #32 of 38
Quote:
I think you'll be quite happy with the LD I+. I recently received an Asgard (20 hours use so far) and I'm kind of surprised by the audio similarity believe it or not. The LD sounds a very slightly edgier with the mids and highs and just a tad more bright. The Asgard sounds very clear; just a hair veiled on the top end in comparison. I am hoping after 50+ hours the upper end sparkles just a bit more like some say it will. They are remarkably pretty similar most likely because the LD is a hybrid. The volume knob for both units operates in the 9-12 o'clock position. It was really nice nice to learn the LD I+ completely holds it own. It is phenomenal with Grado's and IMO an absolute bargain for how it performs. I am using Mullard EF92 M8161 tubes and a LM4562, the amp is dead quiet when not playing back. I am really very happy with both amps and they didn't break the bank.

I have been enjoying my new LD I+ for a couple of weeks now.  Having a blast rolling tubes and opamps.  I have the tube/opamp pairs you mention and then some more, LOL.  With my Grados, I also find my LD I+ volume setting to fall between 9-10 o'clock with the gain set at 3.5.

I am encouraged by your comparison between the LD and the Asgard.  I hope to acquire a SS amp to compare to the LD.

Thanks for your review.

Nov 20, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #33 of 38
how do you guys change the gain set on the LD I+, any difference between the gain sets on the amp because on my DAC the NFB-12, low gain is actual -10db or something like that but high gain is considered 0db and its a bit more dynamic on high gain compared to low gain.

Dec 8, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #37 of 38
Quote:
Always a good buy.  But I'm just so surprised no one even mentioned mapletree.

The MapleTree was brought up in post #9 which I link to in post #10.

It's funny because, when I first purchased my Grados several years ago I had read about Kevin Gilmore's DynaLo amp.
I very much wanted to build or buy one. But, sometimes life gets in the way...

Well it's Christmas, and I have a few extra Pfennig to spend this year.
So, I bought myself a present and sprang for the Sheer Audio HA-006++ Special Edition DynaLo.

What the heck!

Dec 9, 2011 at 6:31 AM Post #38 of 38
wow thats great Tribbs, definitely let us know your impression.

Quote:

The MapleTree was brought up in post #9 which I link to in post #10.

It's funny because, when I first purchased my Grados several years ago I had read about Kevin Gilmore's DynaLo amp.
I very much wanted to build or buy one. But, sometimes life gets in the way...

Well it's Christmas, and I have a few extra Pfennig to spend this year.
So, I bought myself a present and sprang for the Sheer Audio HA-006++ Special Edition DynaLo.

What the heck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back