Which amp is better? The GS-1, the Concerto or the Auditor?
Jul 8, 2010 at 2:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

baka1969

Chaser of Ghosts
Hi again,

I've been looking at getting a significant upgrade to my Gilmore Lite. The SPL Phonitor has me in a trance but it's not exactly el cheapo. From what I've been told and read the HeadAmp GS-1 is more of a subtle upgrade to the Gilmore Lite than an outright large improvement. This leads me to ask, which amp is better? The GS-1, the Concerto or the Auditor? I really like the wire-with-gain that I get with the Gilmore Lite but would like an amp that improves upon all aspects of it by a significant degree.

Or do I have to go up to am amp like Phonitor to get the type of improvements I'm looking for?

Oh yes, SS is what I'm looking at. I already have my tube fix. :)

Thanks for everyone's help.

Peace,

Jul 8, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #2 of 28
the phonitor and auditor share the exact same amp circuit - the latter simply lacks the neat crossfeed, speaker angle, etc. controls

also, afaik, the GS-1 is the same amp as the Gilmore Lite, but with a nice power supply built in - once you get the Lite's dedicated power supply, the difference no longer exists.  i could be wrong on this one, I am definitely no expert in amp design

Jul 8, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #3 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Doug  
" the phonitor and auditor share the exact same amp circuit - the latter simply lacks the neat crossfeed, speaker angle, etc. controls
also, afaik, the GS-1 is the same amp as the Gilmore Lite, but with a nice power supply built in - once you get the Lite's dedicated power supply, the difference no longer exists.  i could be wrong on this one, I am definitely no expert in amp design"

I was told in a subtle way that the GS-1 and the Gilmore Lite+GPS were very close.
So the question is, are the Auditor and Concerto significant upgrades to the Gilmore Lite? I don't want to guess even though all three are under $750.

Where do I have to go to get a major leap in performance in a SS amp? Or do I just keep the GLite and be happy?

Jul 8, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #5 of 28
i dont know where this idea sprouted, that the dynahi is somehow "better" than the dynalo... worse, the truly epic balanced dynalo is now called the "dynamid"!?!? 

these naming schemes, while initially accurate when talking about the impedance of the headphones they were designed for, have somehow had their meanings mutated into a false understanding about their positions in the "goodness" scale :frowning2: 

as for the original question... if you already have a Lite with dedicated power supply, why not pick up an auditor, and then keep whichever of the two you like better?  I can tell you that the phonitor sounds amazingly similar to the GS-1, and that I ended up with the former solely due to the fact that I like to flip the extra switches and turn the extra knobs, to play around with the sound.  I believe the Gilmore amp did feel a bit faster, but when paired with the HD800, it really doesnt matter :D  I have not AB'd the two amps in a home setting, so take this comparison with a gallon of salt - we all know auditory memory is absolute garbage

Jul 8, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #6 of 28
Aye Lite+DPS=GS-1 amp wise, just no pre-amp functions.  When I had to chose a new amp for the LCD-2, having already been down the HeadAmp route with a Reference(currently GS-X) and a Lite with the wallwart I chose to try the Concerto.  Is it better?  Since my LCD-2 hasn't shipped I don't know... but its different for sure.  Balanced ground, not to be confused with active, crossfeed, massive output, glowing review out of 6Moons...  If its terrible, I experienced it and can move on.  If its great, then woot!  Currently on my Shure SE420, my bus can, its a whole other beast amped by the Meier but its still an IEM so comparisons to the O2/KGSS are unfair.

Jul 8, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #8 of 28
These all seem to be parallel moves to me. Just deciding one flavor over another. That Phonitor does have all the pretty buttons and the warm glowing meters to give it the sexiness factor. So the Auditor/Concerto/GS-1 (Gilmore Lite) are all fighting for the same space I guess?

The Dynahi isn't even an upgrade? Just a more powerful amp that may not even sound better?

(Sigh) This doesn't help me. LoL! I absolutely love my Gilmore Lite. And I haven't heard that it can't or won't mate well with the HD800. I've had the T1 plugged into it with very nice results. So... I guess unless someone can convince me that there is a leap forward, I might just have to stay with my beloved amp.

Please feel free to recommend any other SS amps. :D

Jul 8, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #9 of 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif

once you get the Lite's dedicated power supply, the difference no longer exists.  i could be wrong on this one, I am definitely no expert in amp design

You are.

Quote:
i dont know where this idea sprouted, that the dynahi is somehow "better" than the dynalo... worse, the truly epic balanced dynalo is now called the "dynamid"!?!? 

these naming schemes, while initially accurate when talking about the impedance of the headphones they were designed for, have somehow had their meanings mutated into a false understanding about their positions in the "goodness" scale :frowning2:

The names make perfect sense and have been around for years. See here for an explanation: http://djgardner.com/headphone/gilmore/
BTW, the Dynalo is actually just as good, if not better, for high impedance cans as it is for low.
The Dynahi does sound better than the Dynalo.

Quote:
The Dynahi isn't even an upgrade? Just a more powerful amp that may not even sound better?

It is an upgrade. Head-Fi has recently improved its search feature. You can find all the Dynahi info you need with a few simple keywords (Google is also good). The GS-1 vs Glite+DPS comparisons have been done by several Head-fi'ers and they can be easily found as well.

Jul 8, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #10 of 28
I've had the Lite, GS-X and Dynahi...  Difference from Lite to GS-X not big, Dynahi not better.  Frankly I spoke to Kevin about the two and his opinion was that on an easy load like a Senn 650 which I had at the time, no benefit.

Jul 8, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #11 of 28

Quote:
I've had the Lite, GS-X and Dynahi...  Difference from Lite to GS-X not big, Dynahi not better.  Frankly I spoke to Kevin about the two and his opinion was that on an easy load like a Senn 650 which I had at the time, no benefit.

OP has the rather low sensitivity and low impedance HE-5LE which should benefit from an amp with higher current availability such as the dynahi.

Jul 8, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #12 of 28
Baka, I haven't heard the GS-1 in a long time but I have a Gilmore Lite w/ DPS and now the Auditor.  I do find that the Auditor is an upgrade to the Gilmore.  I don't agree with some of the above posters that the Gilmore Lite w/ DPS = GS-1.  I found that there were differences albeit not huge, but more refinement.  I haven't tried the HD800 or T1 with either of my amps but I found that the Auditor makes the K701 and HD650 sound better.  If you have any questions on the Auditor, PM me.

Jul 8, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #13 of 28
HE-5LE takes 13mA to reach 90dB... Dynalo is already overkill.  But then that's KG in a nutshell Capt Overkill, which I love =)

Jul 8, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #15 of 28

Quote:
Anyone have prior experience that would allow you to comment on how would the Amphora match up with the aforementioned amps?

I just bought a GS-1 to compare to my Amphora when my LCD-2 arrives. I will keep you updated 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back