Which amp for Beyerdynamic T90?
Jul 30, 2015 at 5:48 AM Post #50 of 55
hi all  i am new to tube amp not sure i get one or not. at the moment i am using asgard. i have a  t90. is tube amp get some sort of noice when not playing any music? not sure. hamming sound can be annoying.

thanks

Jul 1, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #52 of 55
Hi Folks. I'm a new member and have a set of T90s on order. I have not done any serious HP listening in a long time. I found the wide array of HPs and amp combinations available to be pretty bewildering for someone just starting. I did some research and was looking at something in the 200$ range and then decided to go with something better to start. 
  I normally listen to speakers and my system is as follows. Mac Mini- Pure Music, AIFFs -DBlabs Tranquility DAC, W4S STI500, DIY PI Theatre 3 with upgraded drivers and crossover and a pair of DIY subs driven by a Crown CDI1000.
  I also have a Gen 4 iPod Touch. One of the reasons I picked the T90 was that it is quite efficient and even though it is 250ohms it should get pretty loud on a Touch which I think can put out about 1volt. I can also tap the pre out on the STI500 in HT bypass mode for a buffered dac signal and use a HP amp. 
  I love to DIY stuff. New Headphones is a perfect excuse for another project!  I am building a tube HP amp. It's a parts bin amp. I have a bunch of 6bq5s and 12au7s.  I have the chassis made at this point and it's painted. The circuit will be 12au7 direct coupled to 6bq5 as follower with a Mosfet 30ma current source load. Parallel feed to a small output transformer with a 500ohm primary tap. I'm using the 4000ohm TX as an autotransformer by tapping the 500ohm output. Testing it on the bench the bandwidth is good driving a 250ohm resistor.  Who knows what it will sound like. The T90s are due Monday so I am going to try to get the amp done soon. I'm looking forward to hearing them but I don't really know what to expect.  I'll probably post my impressions here when I get them broken in. 

Jul 5, 2016 at 6:02 AM Post #54 of 55
be sure to post some pics of your creation too, subbed
smily_headphones1.gif

I just got the T90s late yesterday. I am listening to them now with a Gen4 Touch loaded with AIFFs.  Ray Brown -Don''t Get Sassy, a Telarc recording, is sounding pretty good! I'm sure there is some break in on these. They already seem to have increased in volume a bit. Can't wait to get them on the big rig. The cymbals and brush work are coming through pretty sweet and Ray's bass is rich and detailed.
  I'll post pics of the amp soon, if that is allowed for new members. I have most of the wiring done and ran into a few snags with the power supply that took me a while to sort out. I'm working a few days this week and have some volunteer commitments as well, so it will be a while before I get to put much time on it. Do you find that a tube amp is a good match to the T90?

Dec 1, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #55 of 55
I've been using schiit bifrost and valhalla for awhile now for my T90. It's a perfect match for me but you might wanna roll the tube with amperex orange globe 6dj8/ecc88 to tame the harsh treble on the T90. Because the stock tube is not warm enough for me and it end up great! However, Try to find the tube that made in Holland instead because It gives warmer sound than the one made in US.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back