Which amp for Beyerdynamic T90?
Feb 12, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #16 of 55
So I got the T90's in the mail yesterday. They sound absolutely gorgeous with the Bottlehead Crack. Deep bass, liquid mids, and the treble extends really well. However I know you said that's not an option since you're in Europe. I'm currently at work listening to the T90's on my Aune T1 and I'm really surprised how well it sounds. I was expecting the T1 to have a lot of treble emphasis with these cans but thats not the case at all. The treble actually seems rolled off a bit. Bass response is good, not as deep and with as much slam as the Crack. It also doesn't have the warmth and body that the Crack has but the T1 may actually be a really good option if your friend is looking for an amp with less treble emphasis. It's also a really inexpensive option, I think I picked mine up for $130 a few months back.

Setup-wise I'm using the T1's tube dac and running an Amperex 6DJ8 with the gain settings on the T1 on low. It actually had too much gain for the T90's on high.

Feb 12, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #17 of 55
  So I got the T90's in the mail yesterday. They sound absolutely gorgeous with the Bottlehead Crack. Deep bass, liquid mids, and the treble extends really well. However I know you said that's not an option since you're in Europe. I'm currently at work listening to the T90's on my Aune T1 and I'm really surprised how well it sounds. I was expecting the T1 to have a lot of treble emphasis with these cans but thats not the case at all. The treble actually seems rolled off a bit. Bass response is good, not as deep and with as much slam as the Crack. It also doesn't have the warmth and body that the Crack has but the T1 may actually be a really good option if your friend is looking for an amp with less treble emphasis. It's also a really inexpensive option, I think I picked mine up for $130 a few months back.

Setup-wise I'm using the T1's tube dac and running an Amperex 6DJ8 with the gain settings on the T1 on low. It actually had too much gain for the T90's on high.

So the crack is the best? 
How far is Aune from Crack? Will you be happy only with Aune?

Feb 12, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #18 of 55
Thanks for your help. Enjoy your T90's! They are really great headphones.

I will consider the T1. But it's not a priority 'cause we have DAC already: Fostex HP-A3.

We could buy the T1 in the first place, but anyway, let's find a good amp..

Feb 12, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #21 of 55
Currently the Crack and T1 are the only amps I own. However, I'm going to be heading to Columbus for a meet in 10 days and I'll be plugging them into all sort of stuff :)

I know for sure one of the guys is bringing a Darkvoice 336i and there will be other tube amps as well. I'll post back after the meet and let you know what sounded good.

Feb 12, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #22 of 55
There's a Singlepower MPX3 in the classified going for 450usd. Probably the best way to spend 450usd on audio gear, imho. The same seller also has a PPX3 Slam for sale I think for 250usd. These are incredible prices for these amps, and they'll beat anything else mentioned in this thread by a mile, however Singlepower is not looked upon kindly by Head-Fiers and you will get no support whatsoever if either unit breaks.

That being said, they're still worth every cent, again imho.

Feb 12, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #23 of 55
  Currently the Crack and T1 are the only amps I own. However, I'm going to be heading to Columbus for a meet in 10 days and I'll be plugging them into all sort of stuff :)

I know for sure one of the guys is bringing a Darkvoice 336i and there will be other tube amps as well. I'll post back after the meet and let you know what sounded good.

OK. Thanks for the help. I'm waiting for your impressions. 

There's a Singlepower MPX3 in the classified going for 450usd. Probably the best way to spend 450usd on audio gear, imho. The same seller also has a PPX3 Slam for sale I think for 250usd. These are incredible prices for these amps, and they'll beat anything else mentioned in this thread by a mile, however Singlepower is not looked upon kindly by Head-Fiers and you will get no support whatsoever if either unit breaks.

I'll look into them. Thank you.

Feb 12, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #24 of 55

Have you actually heard the MPX3 with the T90's (and compared it against the other amps mentioned in this thread) or is this just a guess?

Feb 12, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #25 of 55
I've heard a pair of T90s on my SP yes.

As for a comparison with the other amps in this thread, there is no need. The Singlepower MPX3 is an end-all top-tier tube headphone amp, everything else in this thread is starter stuff. That said, if it's not enough for you, I have heard the Bottlehead Crack before. It's not a bad little amp, but it is a starter tube amp. It won't even come close to an MPX3.

Feb 12, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #26 of 55
  I've heard a pair of T90s on my SP yes.

As for a comparison with the other amps in this thread, there is no need. The Singlepower MPX3 is an end-all top-tier tube headphone amp, everything else in this thread is starter stuff. That said, if it's not enough for you, I have heard the Bottlehead Crack before. It's not a bad little amp, but it is a starter tube amp. It won't even come close to an MPX3.

Haha, that's probably the first time I've heard someone refer to an $850 amp as an "end all top tier tube amp"...

Feb 12, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #27 of 55
Actually a maxxed out mpx3 was closer to 1600. And since it wasn't exactly a big name in audio, the amps were top quality for the price. I suggest you read some reviews, starting with 6moons. And yes, some of us don't judge a piece of gear strictly by its price, who wouldve thought.

Feb 13, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #29 of 55
So I did a side by side comparison last night with the Crack and Aune T1. Same source, volume matched with a sound meter and 2K sine wave.

The Crack beats the T1 hands down in every category. Fuller sound, tighter, deeper bass, more refined highs that sound smoother with better extension. Other than the differences in sound signature there is a realism that the Crack produces with these cans that the T1 just can't replicate, especially listening to live recordings. The imaging is spot on and the level of detail is through the roof.

However, the T1 does an fairly good job with these for an amp that costs 4 times less than my modified Crack. Im also not running stock tubes in the Crack, I'm using a Tung Sol 5998 and Sylvania VT-231 6sn7GT. That tube combo alone costs almost as much as the T1 and definitely makes a huge difference in sound over the stock tubes.

Feb 17, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #30 of 55
Check out the headphone amps from garage1217.  I expect there are a couple of them that meet your criteria. 

I know they send many to Europe.   The garage1217 team live in the US and Netherlands. The amps are available in kit form and can also be ordered ready built for a bit more.

I have a Sunrise II and I am presently shopping for a T90.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back