Which amp for Beyerdynamic T90?
Feb 1, 2014 at 4:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

Virtu Fortuna

Reviewer: Headfonia
Hello all..

I'm new in Head-Fi forums and this is my first thread.

So here's the story: My friend just got a T90 from a store and and ordered the Fostex HP-A3 DAC. He said the DAC is very good but it takes away some bass response. Also, everyone knows about T90's harsh treble and he's unhappy with that. He asked me to help to find a good amp. His English is not good and asked to me so I'm asking to you guys for your recommendations.

Budget: 300$ max

Genres: Pop, classical, electronic, trance

Feb 2, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #3 of 55
I think it is unfortunate when someone spends a good chunk of money on headphones and gear they don't like listening to, and I think it's even more unfortunate when they then want to spend more money on gear that they hope will color the sound even MORE in an attempt to "fix" the gear they already have. Wouldn't it be better to simply buy different headphones that have the sound signature they prefer?

I don't know the Beyer T90, so I'm afraid I really can't answer your direct question. I will say this: IMHO, a cheap tube amp is typically a worse buy than a solidstate amp of the same price.

Feb 3, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #4 of 55
Take a look at the Bottlehead Crack. I have T90's on order and I'll be amping them with my Crack. At this point I haven't heard the combo yet but from what I've read online it is supposed to be a very good pairing.

I'll respond back to the thread tmw once I get the T90's in the mail and let you know my thoughts.

Feb 3, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #5 of 55
I think it is unfortunate when someone spends a good chunk of money on headphones and gear they don't like listening to, and I think it's even more unfortunate when they then want to spend more money on gear that they hope will color the sound even MORE in an attempt to "fix" the gear they already have. Wouldn't it be better to simply buy different headphones that have the sound signature they prefer?

I don't know the Beyer T90, so I'm afraid I really can't answer your direct question. I will say this: IMHO, a cheap tube amp is typically a worse buy than a solidstate amp of the same price.

I don't think it's completely out of line at all to think that a different amp will reduce the harshness of the treble and make them more enjoyable to listen to. In fact most of the threads I've read on the T90 suggest that the headphones are very picky with amplifiers and the wrong pairing leads to harsh treble. Even a dark headphone like the HD650 can sound overly harsh in the treble when under-driven or paired with the wrong amp/source.

Feb 3, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #6 of 55
You got it all wrong guys. Actually, he really likes the headphone. He's not disappointed with it. It's just the problem with the harsh treble. Everything else is nearly perfect. But we are looking for a tube amp to enjoy the full capabilities of T90. A little more bassy, warm sound with relaxed treble.

Yes, I heard about Bottlehead Crack, everyone saying it's great. But as far as I know we need to assemble it. And it's not available in Europe. I think it's hard to find to order one.

Choosing a tube amp is really tough for us. Choosing headphones is much more simple. Any recommendation would be a great help. And if you know about a warm sounding solid state amp, we can think about it. Thanks for the replies.

Feb 3, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #7 of 55
I don't think it's completely out of line at all to think that a different amp will reduce the harshness of the treble and make them more enjoyable to listen to. In fact most of the threads I've read on the T90 suggest that the headphones are very picky with amplifiers and the wrong pairing leads to harsh treble. Even a dark headphone like the HD650 can sound overly harsh in the treble when under-driven or paired with the wrong amp/source.

I think there's some gray area between looking for a warm amp to pair well with a brighter 'phone, and looking for an amp to change the basic character of a specific headphone. I do know what you mean - and I see now that the OP is saying that you are right. I guess I have become too sensitive to the posts from folks that are looking for a magic amp or dac that will miraculously change their ATH-M50 into an LCD-3. :p

:beerchug:

Feb 3, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #8 of 55
FunyunBreath, im also very intrested in your opinion about T90 pairing with Crack.
I have T90 too and im not happy yet with current sound/solid state amp. It just lacks body, a bit warmness and bass.
Some of the online internet radios gives them that sound characteristics what im missing!
So after reading all the impressions about pairing T90/crack im realy thinking of ordering one soon.
And now your turn, just let us know is it realy that good! :)

Feb 5, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #11 of 55
I think there's some gray area between looking for a warm amp to pair well with a brighter 'phone, and looking for an amp to change the basic character of a specific headphone. I do know what you mean - and I see now that the OP is saying that you are right. I guess I have become too sensitive to the posts from folks that are looking for a magic amp or dac that will miraculously change their ATH-M50 into an LCD-3.
tongue.gif

beerchug.gif

Haha yeah I hear where you're coming from. It does seem like a lot of the time people expect a magic fix from an amp or dac that will completely change the sound signature into something else.

Hang tight on the T90/Crack impressions for a bit longer guys, UPS made a mistake and my headphones are behind schedule, should be here in a few days though.

Feb 5, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #12 of 55
Anyone knows these amps I mentioned? 

La Figaro 339
Matrix M-Stage
Darkvoice 336
Audioromy 6v6
LittleDot Mk4

We can't afford the Crack, because my friend lives in Europe, so we're looking for other options. If anyone can give an idea about these amps, that would be a great help.

Feb 8, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #14 of 55
I am using the the T-90's with a Decware CSP2 (2009  build)....Fantastic combo, and overtook my Senn. HD650's as my favorite pairing with the Decware. 
   I believe the new model is the CSP3....uses three 6922 tubes and a 5UG (and others) rectifier tube....well made, great warranty and service.

Definitely not a "warm" sounding tube amp...Neutral, with really nice accuracy and dimension...Not sure if I am using the right words to describe, but I think those are about right....With the T-90 i get beautiful extended treble, and no harshness on the Decware CSP2..

Other variable would be the tubes I am using....Upscale Audio Telefunken 6922...nice tube, but the most if have spent on tubes...Also recomend the stock Russian 6N1P's that came with the unit....

And would also recommend Nanotec's new interconnect the Music Strada #207, really does well with tube gear, and especially treble extension and natural timbre...

Also use the T-90 with a Burson Soloist SL with great results...best treble detail I can get from the T-90's and also not harsh sounding.

Hope this helps a bit, with some ideas...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back