Which AMP/DAC would you choose?

Which one do you prefer?

• Total voters
Sep 17, 2017 at 11:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Rex Aevum

Head-Fier
Hello,

I am looking for an amp/dac to power LCD-X that I will be getting shortly. The ones I was considering were:
  • Questyle CMA600i
  • Audio-GD NFB 28.38
  • Schiit Jotunheim
I don't really have a way of listening to them before buying so I would any inputs on how they sound. I am looking for a more neutral amp/dac so am tinging of sticking to solid state ones. Also, I want it to be balanced and has pre-outs.

I would really appreciate any input you could provide to help me in making my decision and a vote.

Sep 18, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #2 of 10
The Jotunheim sounds great with my balanced LCD2F! It is a touch on the bright side but I'm also trying out a pair of HD800 with the Jot and it doesn't make those sound overly bright so I'd imagine the LCD X should be just fine with it. It has plenty of inputs and outputs on the back which make it one of the most versatile combo units I've seen. I mean hell, you can have 2 headphones going at the same time, 2 dac's hooked up to the back and selectable via front switch, and a set of powered monitors in either XLR or RCA. Endless connections on this unit. The only drawback is that the power switch is on the back. I have it in a tight spot under my monitor riser so I just use one of those remote outlets where you can click the remote and turn the outlet on or off. Much easier than trying to give Jotunheim the reach around with minimal wiggle room

Sep 18, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #3 of 10
The Jotunheim sounds great with my balanced LCD2F! It is a touch on the bright side but I'm also trying out a pair of HD800 with the Jot and it doesn't make those sound overly bright so I'd imagine the LCD X should be just fine with it. It has plenty of inputs and outputs on the back which make it one of the most versatile combo units I've seen. I mean hell, you can have 2 headphones going at the same time, 2 dac's hooked up to the back and selectable via front switch, and a set of powered monitors in either XLR or RCA. Endless connections on this unit. The only drawback is that the power switch is on the back. I have it in a tight spot under my monitor riser so I just use one of those remote outlets where you can click the remote and turn the outlet on or off. Much easier than trying to give Jotunheim the reach around with minimal wiggle room
Thanks for the answer,

I do think I am treb sensitive so that's my major concern with the Jot. At one point i might consider getting HD800S so I do want something as neutral as possible. So I would be willing to spend more money now rather than having to get a whole new amp later

Do you consider yourself treb sensitive or not really?

Sep 18, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #4 of 10
Based on the fact that the 800 and 700 don't bother me on the Jot, I'd say I'm not physically sensitive to treble. I can definitely tell that the 700 has way too much of it in relation to the other frequencies, but I've never experienced discomfort with either headphone from my Jot. If you're sensitive, I would recommend a different amp then just to be sure.

Sep 18, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #5 of 10
Based on the fact that the 800 and 700 don't bother me on the Jot, I'd say I'm not physically sensitive to treble. I can definitely tell that the 700 has way too much of it in relation to the other frequencies, but I've never experienced discomfort with either headphone from my Jot. If you're sensitive, I would recommend a different amp then just to be sure.
That's what I was worried about. I don't know how sensitive I am, but when I listen to any headphone that peaks (Philips SHP9500) on my Modi 2 Uber & Magni 2 Uber, it does cause me physical discomfort on some tracks so I'm kinda scared, since I can't really listen to it before, it might be ok and i'm just worrying for nothing.

Regardless, thanks for the response.

Sep 18, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #6 of 10
Hello,

I am looking for an amp/dac to power LCD-X that I will be getting shortly. The ones I was considering were:
  • Questyle CMA600i
  • Audio-GD NFB 28.38
  • Schiit Jotunheim
I don't really have a way of listening to them before buying so I would any inputs on how they sound. I am looking for a more neutral amp/dac so am tinging of sticking to solid state ones. Also, I want it to be balanced and has pre-outs.
I would really appreciate any input you could provide to help me in making my decision and a vote.
So far I've bought and used two Audio-GD DAC/amps (NFB-15.32 & NFB-15), no regrets buying either of them.
Currently considering selling off my NFB-15 (sometime in the future) and replacing it with the NFB-11.28.

Sep 19, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #7 of 10
I feel like the 600i really tames the treble with the HD800 but I don't feel like I am all that treble sensitive, nor do I know how sensitive @Rex Aevum is... Makes these kinds of questions difficult for me, other then being able to completely out rule some gear or cans. that make sense?

Sep 19, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #8 of 10
I feel like the 600i really tames the treble with the HD800 but I don't feel like I am all that treble sensitive, nor do I know how sensitive @Rex Aevum is... Makes these kinds of questions difficult for me, other then being able to completely out rule some gear or cans. that make sense?
thanks for the reply,

Yeah, I know its hard to recommend audio gera to others since all of our ears are different, so you can't really say. I guess my question would be: If you have listened to these, which one sounded better (clarity, imaging etc.) if what you were looking for is an amp/dac that works with every headphone?

Sep 25, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #10 of 10
thanks for the reply,

Yeah, I know its hard to recommend audio gera to others since all of our ears are different, so you can't really say. I guess my question would be: If you have listened to these, which one sounded better (clarity, imaging etc.) if what you were looking for is an amp/dac that works with every headphone?
I can't speak about gear that we aren't a dealer for (bad OR good!) in the public forums... So a lot of people take to PM to ask me questions about this stuff!

I did want to share this excerpt from the Questyle website though that I think is very interesting about "current mode amplification" and the creator Jason Wang-

"At that time he became fascinated with Hi-Fi headphones and bought a pair of Sennheiser HD800s. However, he was very disappointed with the officially recommended amplifier for matching with the HD800, for the sound was dry, empty and emotionless. So he decided to design an amplifier for himself to match the HD800 on his own."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back