Where to go from PC360s
Dec 24, 2012 at 10:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

richmazz

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone!

I am new to these forums and I have just started getting into headphones.
I recently(about a month ago) purchased a headset for gaming, a Sennheiser PC360. I was really wowed by the sound quality and I am now looking for something for just music listening that is, hopefully, going to really amaze me again. 
I already have a decent soundcard, Asus Xonar Essence STX.
I don't have any amps or anything like that.

I have been looking at the HD650 and the AKG K702.
Any advice on these or any other suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
-Rich

Dec 24, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #2 of 6
As far as i have heard, the 360 is pretty much a hd598 with a mic sound wise. What do you listen to, what kind of sound do you want? Any preferences on what aspects you weigh the most??

Dec 24, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #3 of 6
I too have heard that. I have also heard arguments that it is more like the 555/558. 

Anyway, I listen to everything. I would say most often I listen to classic rock(think Pink Floyd to Phil Collins to Foreigner)  and electronic(Tangerine Dream and all of the new age stuff) music. 
As far as what kind of sound I want, I think I am looking for something that is pretty neutral. Again, I am pretty new to all of this so I don't really know how to describe it and I apologize for that. 

Aspects, I think I want over the ear. They don't need to be portable at all. Something under $400 would be nice.

Thanks for the reply!
-Rich

Dec 24, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #4 of 6
The HE-400, and later on a proper amplifyer. Then I'd say your gonna get a good glimpse of what hifi is. I do consider the HE-400, when well amped, to be somewhere between mid and hifi.

EDIT: With my HE-500 and a decent tube amp, I finally feel I can enjoy my music without any annoyances. For example the DT-880 is too sparkly in the treble for me. Also the soundstage and somewhat slowness/lack of detail of the drivers and etc. isn't really good enough for me to be satisfied. The HE-400 lacks some treble and 'naturalness'. The HE-500 is natural and fairly neutral. I consider it high-end

Dec 24, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #5 of 6
Thank you very much for the reply!
I will definitely be doing some research on both the HE-400 and HE-500.

What would you consider a decent amp? I have no experience in any of this either. The one amp that I have read a little about and looked into is the Little Dot Mk III.

Again, any advice or suggestions is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
-Rich

Dec 25, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #6 of 6
The schiit asgard is often recommended. Personally I use a used x-can v8p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back