Where to buy in Canada
Feb 10, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #31 of 59
Sorry bout that, I thought that would've helped the OP, forgot to see the post dates
confused_face.gif

Quote:
thanks for your help rip n' burn. i bet if i propose that they'll talk me out of it by saying it will probably lost and theres no insurance/tracking bla bla.

@patanin1st unfortunately i cant drive from vancouver to toronto =P

Feb 10, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #34 of 59
Yeah NCIX is good. You can pricematch also and if yoU,re outside of BC, you don't pay the provincial tax.
I use pricecanada.com to pricematch everything I buy on NCIX.com

If you want to buy foreign stuff, I strongly recommend that you get it shipped with the national courrier. For example, that would be USPS in the USA or EMS in China. I never had to pay customs fees that way.

Feb 12, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #37 of 59

Quote:
Fulcrumaudio.ca has a decent selection, and they also have a sponsor forum here.

How typical and sad is this place called Fulcrumaudio??? As a Canadian I'm always trying to buy locally. So I thought I would check out the prices at Fulcrum Audio as suggested. The full retail price in the US for a pair of Grado PS1000's are $1695.00 and Bay Bloor Radio (who sells at full retail) are selling them for $1995.00 (Bay Bloor Radio is a Canadian Store).

Fulcrum Audio is selling the PS1000 for $2149.00 (this is 150.00 above the CANADIAN LIST PRICE!!!). Why?????
This is why we Canadians purchase from the US. Even with the duty and shipping it makes more sense to order from the US.

Some of these Canadian Retailers will try and tell you that their cost is much more, blah blah blah, even when our money is at par. This is usually BS. We all know that you are going to pay full pop at Bay Bloor Radio and in this example you are going to pay $500.00 more from Fulcrum Audio then you would pay if you ordered them from the US.

Fulcrum Audio's price is 30% more then in the US.

It's still worth ordering from the US even if you pay shipping, duty, and tip the UPS man $350.00. LOL

Feb 12, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #38 of 59
Actually, you won't be able to find any US retailers that will sell you a pair of Grados. With the special exception of the HF series, Grado restricts dealers to sell only in their native country, in addition to strict minimum pricing control. Yes, they cost quite a bit more here in Canada, and yes, we get fleeced quite a bit, but in this case, it's more to it than Canadian dealers wanting more of your money.

Quote:
Quote:
Fulcrumaudio.ca has a decent selection, and they also have a sponsor forum here.

How typical and sad is this place called Fulcrumaudio??? As a Canadian I'm always trying to buy locally. So I thought I would check out the prices at Fulcrum Audio as suggested. The full retail price in the US for a pair of Grado PS1000's are $1695.00 and Bay Bloor Radio (who sells at full retail) are selling them for $1995.00 (Bay Bloor Radio is a Canadian Store).

Fulcrum Audio is selling the PS1000 for $2149.00 (this is 150.00 above the CANADIAN LIST PRICE!!!). Why?????
This is why we Canadians purchase from the US. Even with the duty and shipping it makes more sense to order from the US.

Some of these Canadian Retailers will try and tell you that their cost is much more, blah blah blah, even when our money is at par. This is usually BS. We all know that you are going to pay full pop at Bay Bloor Radio and in this example you are going to pay $500.00 more from Fulcrum Audio then you would pay if you ordered them from the US.

Fulcrum Audio's price is 30% more then in the US.

It's still worth ordering from the US even if you pay shipping, duty, and tip the UPS man $350.00. LOL

Feb 13, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #39 of 59
Quote:
Actually, you won't be able to find any US retailers that will sell you a pair of Grados. With the special exception of the HF series, Grado restricts dealers to sell only in their native country, in addition to strict minimum pricing control. Yes, they cost quite a bit more here in Canada, and yes, we get fleeced quite a bit, but in this case, it's more to it than Canadian dealers wanting more of your money.

=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=

Thats fine but this still puts Fulcrum Audio 150.00 over the Canadian List price. I didn't think anyone sold anything more than Bay Bloor Radio. I guess I was wrong.

Feb 13, 2011 at 9:01 AM Post #40 of 59

Quote:
Hi, I'm staying in downtown Toronto (University of Toronto Student). Just wanted to suggest there's a shop in downtown Toronto called Bay Bloor Radio if you feel like driving over. Best Buy, Futureshop, and iStudio in Eaton Centre also has a few things for you to look at (I saw klipsch's and Shure's, etc...)

Bay Bloor Radio = They have decent selection, but the prices are pretty bad because of their epic retail space.
Future Shop/Best Buy = Lot of Monster and lower end models of Shure/Senn/Klipsch and whatnot.
iStudio = I've never heard of them which floor in the Eaton Centre?

OP maybe try: http://headphonebar.com/ <-- Next time I'm in Van I'm probably going to check this place out just cuz
ksc75smile.gif

245 West Broadway
(2 blks East of Cambie st /Skytrain Stn.)
Vancouver
604-569-0694

I usually order online though and look for USPS shipping . .

Feb 13, 2011 at 9:07 AM Post #41 of 59

Quote:
Yeah NCIX is good. You can pricematch also and if yoU,re outside of BC, you don't pay the provincial tax.
I use pricecanada.com to pricematch everything I buy on NCIX.com

If you want to buy foreign stuff, I strongly recommend that you get it shipped with the national courrier. For example, that would be USPS in the USA or EMS in China. I never had to pay customs fees that way.

For some reason I believe I was charged with HST 13% on a out of province purchase but not entirely sure. I vaguely remember purchasing my S9 from NCIX at a really good price and paying the HST even though I'm from Ontario.
mad.gif

Feb 13, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #43 of 59
Bay Bloor Radio = Yeah, true. They charge you at the full MSRP, such as the HD595's at full 300-ish $. EDIT: I meant full 300-ish PLUS 13% tax. so that'll be like, 339-ish???
Futureshop/Best Buy = Also true. They sell only those mainstream brands and models that an average layperson interested in some good sound would pick up.
iStudio = If I remember it correctly, it's on the second floor, right opposite the Disney Store / Above Aritzia, on the Queen street side of the shopping centre. Rather quite a big shop, easily visible from the ground floor and second floor.

Quote:
Quote:
Hi, I'm staying in downtown Toronto (University of Toronto Student). Just wanted to suggest there's a shop in downtown Toronto called Bay Bloor Radio if you feel like driving over. Best Buy, Futureshop, and iStudio in Eaton Centre also has a few things for you to look at (I saw klipsch's and Shure's, etc...)

Bay Bloor Radio = They have decent selection, but the prices are pretty bad because of their epic retail space.
Future Shop/Best Buy = Lot of Monster and lower end models of Shure/Senn/Klipsch and whatnot.
iStudio = I've never heard of them which floor in the Eaton Centre?

OP maybe try: http://headphonebar.com/ <-- Next time I'm in Van I'm probably going to check this place out just cuz
ksc75smile.gif

245 West Broadway
(2 blks East of Cambie st /Skytrain Stn.)
Vancouver
604-569-0694

I usually order online though and look for USPS shipping . .

Feb 13, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #44 of 59
Oh, forgot to add in. The good thing about Bay Bloor Radio, though, is they HAVE demo units of most of their products for you to try. I went there about 2-3 times, trying out their quite satisfactory array of full-sized headphones before finally ordering a pair of HD595's. they had all the top tiered Sennheisers: HD 515,555,595,598,600,650,800, Some AKG's, Grados from SR60 up to PS1000, Shures up to the SRH840, Audio Technica's... etc...

My friend did try some IEM's, they had all the shures, sennheiser up to IE8, bose (just saying), klipsch up to X10's if i remember correctly...

The staff there were quite helpful, I asked to try the HD595's with my own ipod and iBasso D10 amp, they were totally fine with that.

Just my 2 cents.

Feb 14, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #45 of 59
Hey, patanin1st

I used to work at the Eaton Centre lol umm I never saw/heard of it, by any chance is the iStudio the earphone section of the Apple store? Or is it something I missed completely?
Across from Disney would be, a lingerie store, a small coffee shop, and Apple from what I recall.

blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back