Where is the Earmax?
Jun 24, 2008 at 2:17 PM Post #49 of 353
I use DT-880's with my EMP, I think they sound lovely together, I also have a pair of HD600's coming soon, which sounded very nice together as well, which is why I bought them
biggrin.gif

I'd also like to know if people are using tube dampers, I don't see how they can help sonically...

Jun 24, 2008 at 3:06 PM Post #50 of 353
Caution, are you using stock tubes with your EMP? Mine will come with unmarked NOS output tubes and (I believe) a TAD driver tube. I have matched Electro-Harmonic 6922 goldpins on order and also EH 12at7 and 12ax7 and Sovtek 12ax7 driver tubes also.

Jun 24, 2008 at 3:18 PM Post #51 of 353
I'm not sure what stock tubes are because I bought mine second hand, I'm currently using 2x EH 6922's and 1x EH 12ax7 all 3 goldpins
smily_headphones1.gif
They sound wonderful, but I could probably find better tubes, as stated by the person I bought the amp from
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 24, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #52 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caution /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm currently using 2x EH 6922's and 1x EH 12ax7 all 3 goldpins
smily_headphones1.gif

Excellent. I have those same 3 EH goldpins on order.
cool.gif

Jun 24, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #53 of 353
Jun 24, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #54 of 353
Quote:

<snip>I'd also like to know if people are using tube dampers, I don't see how they can help sonically...

They can help in certain instances. If a tube is borderline microphonic, a tube damper can bring the tube's usefulness up to a normal tube. If a tube has microphonics, it can at least make the tube usable.

As for a normal tube of good condition, one has to assume that there are always mini-microphonics going on in a tube, and that the tube damper will correct those. I'd say it's entirely possible, but it varies with the tube and is subtle unless you're looking for the change.

Jun 24, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #56 of 353
hey thanks for the info tomb
smily_headphones1.gif

wow a wooden Ear max! That looks very very nice.

Just wondering what tubes you guys are using as well? So far from what I've seen the Telefunken ECC801S and Gold Brand Sylvania 12AT7 are the most recommended input tubes.

Jun 25, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #57 of 353
Quote:

heres a nice thread just in case you haven't seen

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/ear...91/index3.html

smily_headphones1.gif
I'm tempted to tube roll now
biggrin.gif

Looks like a good thread. In addition to this thread, another good one for the Earmax AE, SE and also the Pro is this one. I'm collecting tube info in OneNote.
smily_headphones1.gif
But I'll have some rolling options fom the start: 4 driver tubes and two sets of output. But for the Millett, I'm new to this.

Jun 25, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #58 of 353
Quote:

hey thanks for the info tomb
smily_headphones1.gif

wow a wooden Ear max! That looks very very nice.

Just wondering what tubes you guys are using as well? So far from what I've seen the Telefunken ECC801S and Gold Brand Sylvania 12AT7 are the most recommended input tubes.

I can see three 6922 in line. I think this is an improved EMP with customized enclosure. Very nice though!

Jun 25, 2008 at 3:08 AM Post #59 of 353
You guys should really consider changing the stock power cord. It gives another hugh improvement.

Jun 25, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #60 of 353
I am not sure if the wooden case is a good idea, and it was previously advertised that the casing of the Earmax (SE and Anniversary) was specially damped to provide the best sonics.

Don't know if this still applicable to a wood case ?

F. Lo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back