Where is the Earmax?
May 6, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #31 of 353
I love the lush full bodied valve sound of the em pro, i think beafing it up, making it more powerful and more acurate take that certain something away from the much loved original. yes the new improved version is probably better on paper and it has a superior sound quality but i love the imperfections....

If like me you have HD650's mated to an earmax pro I would recommend using a bright cable, (silver plated copper), I have found that the nordost blue heaven flat ic gives me the perfect balance between kicking the 650's into gear and tightening the bass up but without changing the character of the 650's/earmax combo too much as a pure silver cable would. just my 2 pence
biggrin.gif

May 11, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #32 of 353
OK I've now had the Earmax AE for a couple weeks now (came with EH tubes). I originally acquired it as I was curious about it with my L3000. Unfortunately not that impressed - the DHA3000 trumps it across the board with the L3000. HOWEVER, I am very very impressed with EM AE with my HD650/HD580/RS1/W1000. It infuses a nice lush soundscape without sacrificing detail and impact. The Almarro for my K1000 got me hooked on tubes, and now the EM AE has made me a full card-carrying convert to tubes!. The other thing that impresses me is the EM AE is dead silent, all my other tube amp (limited) experiences were marred by some level of hum/hiss/static. This one's a keeper.

May 11, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #33 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by JimP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
O.... AE has made me a full card-carrying convert to tubes!. The other thing that impresses me is the EM AE is dead silent, all my other tube amp (limited) experiences were marred by some level of hum/hiss/static. This one's a keeper.

The AE is more than a keeper - it is a collector's item, although sonically it is the same as the Silver Edition.

Owning an AE is something to be admired
smily_headphones1.gif

F. Lo

May 11, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #35 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by JimP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
fkclo, go to sleep! (at least I have an excuse as I'm up with the baby!)

Yes sir ! Just back from clinic and took my medicine.... and putting the new headphone stands from Woo Audio together.... It looks great.

F. Lo

May 12, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #36 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by indikator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that sounds interesting, so is earmax actually an Morgan Jones?
how about this one
HeadWize - Project: The 6N1P OTL Headphone Amplifier by Bruce Bender
looks like it use different tube

[OT]
From what little info there is on the web, it looks like the MJ is a design based on what was in the Earmax (or the Pro) about 10 years ago - improved in 2002 by Alex Cavalli (here). Interestingly, it appears that the Xiang Sheng XS-708B is based on the Morgan Jones.
[/OT]

May 14, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #38 of 353
I love my EMP with my DT-880's :), I'm tempted to buy or try a pair of HD600's and RS-1's as I've heard great things about the 2 combos (along with the DT-880) I can't believe this thread is so small though.

BTW, I bought mine used a few months ago, and the gold knob and spiral tube protector thingy looks oxidized/discolored, and isn't shiny like the pictures shown in the thread. Anyone know where to get replacement parts?

May 28, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #39 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Earmax Pro is the best thing that happened to my HD650 and my PS-1 so far.
Quick (crappy) pic:

attachment.php

what cable you using there?? the pink one.
confused.gif

Jun 21, 2008 at 9:37 AM Post #43 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My new EMP has arrived in Canada but I'm stuck here for another four weeks. I won't be able to hook it up back here until August. Anticipation is killing me.

Bad luck, hope you will survive!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 23, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #44 of 353
i just got the emp with mullard tubes to try with my gs1000's which might place my graham slee solo.

the problem i have is that i feel the emp disorts when producing bass notes when used with the gs1000's but drives my rs-1fine. thought this little amp was going to do me for a while.

Jun 23, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #45 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anders /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bad luck, hope you will survive!
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks! It is off my own doing. I save a lot of money on import duties by shipping the EMP to Canada than bringing it back here myself.

I can't wait to see how it sounds with USB Monica and my 600 ohm DT880s.

I see that you have the Earmac SE. Very nice...!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back