Where do you guys buy your headphones at for good prices?
Jul 19, 2011 at 4:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

bmd004

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to purchase Senn HD 598's, and from reading posts on here, it seem people are paying anywhere from $165 to about $180. Looking on Amazon and the electronic stores they are selling for about $230+.

Where do you guys go to get better deals?

Jul 19, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #2 of 17
oops sorry.  that was just supposed to be the ebay link.

anyways ebay or amazon but prices will fluctuate

Jul 19, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #3 of 17
Heya,

They're like $211 shipped on Amazon right now.

I buy most of my stuff on Amazon. It may not be the rock bottom cheapest (usually an eBay store is cheapest), but I find that when you're buying expensive anything, having a good return policy is worth paying a few extra dollars to have. Shipped free, can return within 30 days for a full refund and they pay to ship it back, no questions asked, no phone calls, just click, print, ship and get your refund. So I buy off Amazon because of that. I've returned a few things, bought way more than I've returned, a ratio like 50:1 in terms of my buys/returns there. I've not had any issues with my account or any warnings etc for my returns (contrary to what some people seem to quote off the internet from horror story people who say they've been banned from Amazon).

Other than that, I buy used right here on Head-Fi. Half my gear was used when I bought it. Saved hundreds doing it. Those saved hundreds went towards my new-in-box purchases.

Very best,

Jul 19, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #4 of 17
Call up J&R to get them for $180 shipped.

I did, love them!

Amazon, B&H, J&R, Newegg sometimes

Jul 20, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #5 of 17

Quote:
I'm looking to purchase Senn HD 598's, and from reading posts on here, it seem people are paying anywhere from $165 to about $180. Looking on Amazon and the electronic stores they are selling for about $230+.

Where do you guys go to get better deals?

If talking about $300+ phones I like my cans to be broken in when I get them so I usually purchase demo models from high-end shops or second-hand if they are in exceptionally good shape, by that I mean like new once I replace the ear pads if required. Demos don't save you a lot of money, perhaps 15%, but they are broken in and come with a full warranty. Second-hand offers great savings, often 50% off retail, but there is the risk that comes with having no warranty.  

Jul 20, 2011 at 3:17 AM Post #6 of 17
Give Head-Fi's sponsors a chance.

I buy everything from HeadRoom and TTVJ. No, I don't get special treatment or discounts. Even when I was a noob, they treated me very well.

If you find a better price, call them up and see if they will price match. You might be surprised.

The sponsors help keep the lights on at Head-Fi and have been extremely generous when it comes to putting on meets. Speaking of which, I've met several HeadRoom employees and Todd (of TTVJ) a few times. Great people who truly care about Head-Fi and providing excellent service.

Amazon, B&H, J&R are good retailers. I've bought non-headphone gear from them and give them high marks. But when it comes to headphones, I choose to support the companies that support this hobby. You'll get great service from a small business, great prices and help out Head-Fi, too.

Jul 21, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #7 of 17
It would be interesting to know which of those retailers accept international credit cards and ship worldwide.

The reason i shop in Amazon is because I know they will acept my credit card and ship anywhere.

They usually have good prices, but I know other retailers have better prices sometimes. Newegg usually beats Amazon when it comes to electronic equipment, but they don't accept international credit cards.

If any of the sponsors accept international credit cards, I might get the Denon AH-D2000 from one of them.

Jul 21, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #10 of 17
Usa guys are lucky to find good deals everywhere. 
redface.gif

Jul 21, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #11 of 17
Agreed fabio-fi. I'm here in South Korea right now, and I can audition anything (many headphone shops here even have a floor model hd800) but the prices are prohibitively expensive. I bought all of my headphones in the last year online from companies in the United States, and half of them will be waiting there until I get back in December, and the other half were hand delivered when my family came to visit me. The U.S. definitely has the best prices, but remember that it doesn't have a lot of strong domestic companies, or good places to audition.

Jul 22, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #12 of 17

Quote:
Agreed fabio-fi. I'm here in South Korea right now, and I can audition anything (many headphone shops here even have a floor model hd800) but the prices are prohibitively expensive. I bought all of my headphones in the last year online from companies in the United States, and half of them will be waiting there until I get back in December, and the other half were hand delivered when my family came to visit me. The U.S. definitely has the best prices, but remember that it doesn't have a lot of strong domestic companies, or good places to audition.

Absolutely true. The price is good but hard to find places to audition

Jul 22, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #13 of 17
it's a little unfair how americans get the widest selection of where to shop. i try to buy from canadian retailers because i can avoid import fees.

but thankfully we have nafta in north america making it a little easier to buy from the states.

Jul 22, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #14 of 17
There aren't that many places in the US that carry good headphones. We've got the DXC Store in LA, B&H and a couple others in NYC, and I can't think of many others. So the two biggest retail markets have headphones and that's about it.

I'd recommend dropping a physical letter via snail mail to local retailers. Give them a few compliments, tell them that there are lots of headphones they could carry and possibly profit from. Also point them here. Who knows, it might work. They will be interested in growing sales, for sure. Also, physical letters have a way of being passed around an office. Emails and phone calls don't work like that.

Jul 22, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #15 of 17
Well, USA- you can't deny that you got Schiit, Woo Audio, Red Wine Audio, TTVJ, ALO, Audez'e and other cool manufacturers within a reach that's not obstructed by ridicilous shipping and customs fees. To be sure I don't really know any european tube amp manufacturer that offers something at the Schiit or WA prices. It's either multi-ten-thousand dollar high end monoblocs or the soldering rod for us.

Good thing we have Jan Meier and SPL, though. And Sennheiser at good prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back