Where can I get the Koss Portapros for a reasonable price in Australia?
Apr 17, 2011 at 2:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Ashy

Head-Fier
I'm curious about some headphones to use while riding my bike and I don't like earbuds.

On ebay the portapros are $50 in the US but they are $100 in Australia.  On headphones.com.au they are $134.

Are they for sale anywhere in Australia for a reasonable price?

Apr 17, 2011 at 3:25 AM Post #2 of 16
I wouldn't be buying anything through Australian vendors, since they are all pretty much guaranteed to be overcharging you by a ridiculous amount. Westone's official distributor in Australia sells W3 for $469, which is $20 MORE than you would spend on W4 from an official USA Westone distributor such as Earphone Solutions. Since the Porta Pro is a low risk model to be buying fakes, I'd probably just get them from eBay and buy yourself an mp3 player with the other 50-70 you'd have saved. As for headphones.com.au, they have some weird pricing policies in that they overprice the cheaper phones, and yet you can get SE535 for $478, cheaper than overseas. 

Apr 17, 2011 at 4:11 AM Post #3 of 16
Cool.  I bought them from a US seller on ebay.
Hopefully they don't take too long to get here.

Apr 17, 2011 at 7:21 AM Post #4 of 16

Quote:
Cool.  I bought them from a US seller on ebay.
Hopefully they don't take too long to get here.

-cough- you can't get anything for a reasonable price in australia. :p

But yeah, importing from a foreign seller is definitely the way to go in this case.  Though you'll likely have to pay import taxes when it hits customs, not really sure how anal Australia is about that stuff.  I had to pay taxes when a shipment of mine (HD595s!) went through Canadian customs.

Apr 17, 2011 at 7:29 AM Post #5 of 16
most electronics with a total cost less than or equal to $1000 AUD is GST exempt at customs

Apr 17, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #9 of 16

Quote:
Amazon won't, but some of the resellers on Amazon might.

maybe with cheaper IEMs or whatnot - but when I first started shopping around for my TF10s none of the resellers would ship them to Au. at all which was really disheartening because at the time for me it meant either eBay (no warranty) or buy them locally ($300-400... no chance). Glad I found out about other sellers through here. 

Apr 17, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #13 of 16
yeah I don't understand it either, when I asked why I couldn't get anything shipped to me I was told my location wouldn't allow it. Kind of arbitrary but no great loss given the number of online sellers who will ship to Australia. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back